Steel versus Timber framed homes

Howdy there,

I was wondering whether anyone can shed light to the forum on which is a better structure for a home/IP... There seem to be many benefits many magazines (sound like sales pitch to me though) state with steel framed homes, as you don't have the termite related problems to worry about, etc... If it is so good why don't other builders use that method? & continue using timber frames?

I must admit in my last subdivision project I did I use timber frames on both structures, as I didn't even consider of getting pricing for a Steel Frame...

Any information would be greatly appreciated...

Cheers,

Manny.

PS: Good to see The-Wife in the API magazine, well done...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

I've heard that if you have a small fire in a timber framed house you can easily replace the damaged section. Whilst in a steel framed house the steel warps and a much large area needs to be replaced.
Whether this is true or not I'm not sure!!

Reply: 1.1

The other thing I heard is that you cannot use copper plumbing (needing to use plastic, not that there is anything wrong with the plastic, but I'm old fashioned & know how to do copper repairs, haven't tried using plastic as yet) in Steel Framed homes as steel & Copper don't mix...

Manny.

Reply: 1.2

G'day All

Having resided in a steel frame house in the cyclone belt of WA (Karratha)we had copper water pipes...no probs.

Sat through a few cyclones over the years....saw a few timber frame places blow past ;>)

Also it is a real pain trying to knock nails into walls...

Cheers Ian

Reply: 1.3

Hmm, my house has a steel frame, brick exterior. If you have a fire how do
you get the steel to burn? I assume that the flammable items in a house
would be the paint and paper covering on the plasterboard, the furniture and
carpets of course and the curtains. I would think a wood frame would add to
the combustible load whereas a steel frame would not. You often see news
reports of houses completely burnt out but I cannot recall ever seeing a
steel frame one gutted.

Also our house has copper pipes and I haven't seen evidence of electrolysis
causing the breakdown of the copper pipes but then they run through the roof
and then directly down to the taps so maybe that is how they get around it
by minimising copper to steel contact.

Cheers

Reply: 1.3.1

Hi Gents,

What sort of walls can you have in the house beside plaster/gyprock?
Would be possible to hook up timber panels or fibrocement on the inside?

Have someone done that ever before?

Serge.

Reply: 1.3.1.1

So do you get better TV reception in a steel framed house ?

sim.gif

Last edited:
Reply: 1.3.1.1.1

Too easy,

Only if you experiencing strange sensations like hard to look after your hair...
You call friend submariner or couple of'm and ask 'm to demagnetise whole house.

For people who has distorted magnetic field in their heads it actually could be quite good. Magnetic field gets back in order. Sort of large field controls smaller one. And large one would much more stable then small one.

And pacemaker works better - steel frame works like shield and stops all sorts of people using their mobile phones and change the pace of the pacemaker.

No seriously folks,
What about blocks of units with lifts, pipelines, cables and alike? People do live in those building for years and they still OK.
What about big mansions, really big once, those big once where you going to live once you get rich? They have more security systems and cables then modern aircraft.

Serge.

Reply: 1.3.1.2

Plasterboard is attached using liquid nails so there is no reason why you
couldn't put up timber panels or other linings.

Reply: 1.3.1.2.1

Also steel frame houses are more expansive.
Is it right?

Serge.

Reply: 1.3.1.2.2

Thanks Michael,

About year ago I’ve got quote from co. that sells steel frame kit houses in Bowral (Southern Highland) NSW.
It was 4 or 5 bedroom double story and double garage for about $125(?)K I think. Whole kit.
I asked how much to build one (exactly the same out of steel) - they said $350K.

I am thinking my self all I have to do is approach one of the building co. you know those package deal (?) and get timber frame brick veneer for $250-260K.

Well, I did not. But still it is hell of difference.

Probably if I would shop around and do all the running, I would get that house for good price, but still...

Serge.

Reply: 1.3.1.2.2.1

i prefer total timber! no steel. good ol fashioned sapless hardwood throughout. :)

Back