Steve Keen vs Macquarie

Rate Cut’ Rory Bets Australia’s Highest Peak on House Prices
Email | Print | A A A

By Jacob Greber

Nov. 28 (Bloomberg) -- An Australian academic predicting a collapse in house prices has made a bet with Macquarie Group Ltd. economist Rory Robertson that commits the loser to walk from Canberra to the top of the nation’s highest mountain.

A forecast by University of Western Sydney Associate Professor Steve Keen that house prices will collapse by 40 percent, double the current plunge in the U.S., has a 1 percent chance of being correct, Sydney-based Robertson said today.

Keen, who made headlines in Australia and overseas with his forecast that the nation may be facing a depression, and last month sold his inner-Sydney home, accepted Robertson’s challenge. If house prices fall by less than 20 percent, he will embark on the 230 km (143 mile) hike from the nation’s capital to Mount Kosciuszko, a 2,228-meter peak that is snowcapped for much of the year.

“Moreover, the loser must wear a tee-shirt saying: ‘I was hopelessly wrong on home prices! Ask me how’,” said Robertson, dubbed “Rate Cut Rory” after accurately forecasting the central bank would cut rates in 1996, betting against the market.

“I expect to record an easy win within two years,” Robertson added. “That’s because falls in Australia-wide home prices will be limited by our lack of overbuilding, our much more disciplined mortgage market, and especially, the Reserve Bank’s ability to drive mortgage rates lower.”

Central bank Governor Glenn Stevens has cut the benchmark lending rate by two percentage points since early September to a 3 1/2-year low of 5.25 percent, the biggest reduction since a recession in 1991. Stevens will reduce the overnight cash rate target on Dec. 2 by at least half a point, according to all 17 economists surveyed by Bloomberg News.

‘Fit Enough’

The decline in house prices will be measured using Bureau of Statistics figures starting from the second quarter of 2008, “peak to trough,” Keen said in a telephone interview.

“That could take 15 years,” Keen, 55, added. “I’ve got a feeling I’ll still be fit enough and I hope he is.”

While Robertson, 42, said he “never says never,” Keen’s forecast of a 40 percent drop in Australian house prices “effectively requires a meltdown” of the nation’s financial system.

Australian house prices fell 1.8 percent in the third quarter from the three months through June, the biggest decline since 1978.

Household debt has almost doubled since 1999 to around 160 percent of incomes, a higher ratio than in the U.S. and U.K., according to AMP Capital Investors. The median national house price soared about 140 percent in the same period.

To contact the reporter for this story: Jacob Greber in Sydney at [email protected]

Last Updated: November 27, 2008 18:11 EST

My money's on Rory Robertson. Anyone want to place a side bet? :D

I've been winning a few wagers of late, but I reckon this one is an even better bet than those past wins...

And somehow I don't think Steve Keen will have to wait 15 years before the falls stop and the market turns back up marking the bottom. I hope he's fit to go by 2010/11! ;)

Cheers,
Michael

As someone with a couple of degrees under my belt, I would confidently back a smart operator from a major private organisation over an academic.

My money's on Rory Robertson. Anyone want to place a side bet? :D

If Keen wins his bet, it would be hell on earth. Imagine the carnage from a 40% drop across the board? Cheaper houses in capital cities would be selling for way below the replacement value of the bricks and morter, and the land would be worthless. :eek: The share market would be much lower even than now. Most aussie banks would be gone. I hope Keen loses that's for sure.

I think there will be 40% loses in some parts of the market. Beach houses, top end market with land values above one million for the dirt. Maybe parts of the Gold Coast.

I hope Keen loses his bet for everyones sake.

See ya's.

A 40% decline over say 10-15 years would hardly be noticeable and is a possibility.

I dont think he's saying it will happen in one year. That would be a catastrophe.

I've got a couple of chardies under my belt - is that comparable? ;)

Degrees are useful tickets into some careers, and can be good for some initial climbing of the corporate ladder, but that's about it. I don't have a particularly high opinion of most academics (always a few exceptions, of course), having studied under them for a number of years, primarily because they are generally good at theory but not so good with reality.

I wish I had a couple of chardies under my belt!

how on earth do you measure a 40% drop in house prices over 15 years?

does that mean inflation at 3% per annum for 15 years, with no house price increase to match, means that house prices have dropped 45% comparitively...?

sucker bet. Rory+1

There's a few posters here that could follow Keen with t-shirts that have sheep printed on them.:D:D

P.S this is not a kiwi joke:eek:

how on earth do you measure a 40% drop in house prices over 15 years?

does that mean inflation at 3% per annum for 15 years, with no house price increase to match, means that house prices have dropped 45% comparitively...?

The great thing about stats is that they can fiddled with to support any position. I suspect Keen and Robertson will both end up saying they won. And they'll each have the stats to prove it. And in a couple of years time the bears here will be able to prove that property got smashed. And the bulls will be able to prove that it didn't.
Scott

The great thing about stats is that they can fiddled with to support any position. I suspect Keen and Robertson will both end up saying they won. And they'll each have the stats to prove it. And in a couple of years time the bears here will be able to prove that property got smashed. And the bulls will be able to prove that it didn't.
Scott

The important thing is not right or wrong but whether the belief of the bears and bulls have led to prosperity. :)

Back