Steve Keen-where are you now?

Yea well Aaron makes more money from his properties' cap growth than his mortgage brokerage business.
I was not referring specifically about Aaron, who has already made it clear that $100k is like loose change in his eyes.

I was just pointing out that those generally employed in the property sector would be giving out specific advice all the time and I'd expect the majority are not that financially well off.

On the other hand Steve Keen provided a loose prediction, with no specific guidelines on how to invest accordingly... so he is not really "trying to tell people with money what to do".

That would be unfairly tarring everyone with the same brush. However I must admit to spoiling my own children so can relate to this blog post about a subsection of the Y generation. The GYPSY.

Why Generation Y Yuppies Are Unhappy

It has some wonderful graphs to illustrate the point.

Great article thank you.

I'll make some predictions too.

China will crash.

ALP will win government.

There will be WWIII.

Remember you heard it here first

Not quite- this WW3 thing is old news: due to happen 2016:
http://www.news.com.au/technology/s...g-man-john-titor/story-fn5fsgyc-1226727524350

(assuming they don't fire up Skynet first).
I really find it disingenuous when people without money try to tell people with money what to do.
Like Jesus, Dhali Llama or Ghandi? Yes. It is outrageous.

I would agree with you if you meant that povo people trying to tell others how to make money.

Meanwhile-an auction I went to yesterday:

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-chelmer-114745223

Sold for $450k- fully reno'd.
Current owner according to RP Data purchased for $473k in March 07.

If only he had held on for another 6 months the price would have doubled. Or is it every 10 years?

I was just pointing out that those generally employed in the property sector would be giving out specific advice all the time and I'd expect the majority are not that financially well off.

Funny that, we are giving out advice on a daily basis on SS and no one has a clue what the majority do for a living, credentials, net worth etc. ;)

Well that's precisely the point, he doesn't say anything about it. Let alone sell his property before a boom to buy some.
I'm in Adelaide. I sold 3.5 years ago. What boom?

This line of conversation is pretty childish, don't you have anything better to do?

Whats your yield on Gold...?
What's the net yield on a negatively geared property?
Auction clearance rates anywhere are a pretty poor indicator of anything. A convenient statistic for spruikers.
It's shown to be a pretty good indicator for the cities which hold a lot of auctions ie Melbourne, Sydney. But I would be surprised if Adelaide with a couple of dozen auctions would have the same reliability.

What's the net yield on a negatively geared property?

It's shown to be a pretty good indicator for the cities which hold a lot of auctions ie Melbourne, Sydney. But I would be surprised if Adelaide with a couple of dozen auctions would have the same reliability.

not convinced - media hype.

I was wondering what Steve invested in and if he backed himself with his predictions (other than the PPoR event), maybe he benefited elsewhere with the strength of his convictions :confused:

Sounds like what many mortgage brokers, real estate agents & property spruikers do for a living. Keen has expressed an opinion, don't see where he told anyone what to do...?

If you listen to what these people tell you then that's up to you. I'll listen to almost anyone, but that doesn't mean I'll act on their advice.

Part of being a grown up is learning to think critically and constructively.

I don't use a financial advisor, or a mortgage broker, or a tax lawyer. When I need to know something I'll go and find out for myself.

Why oh why, does conversation so regularly degenerate into secular investment options.... FWIW, I own both property and precious metals....:eek: OMG!

Can I actually do that..... or admit it here? The simple fact is, that both have a role in a balanced portfolio, as do shares (yep own them too!), bonds, superannuation & cash (oh crap, got some of them too!), amongst other things.

Constantly bickering and hacking on people for having a go, is not only childish, it is small minded. We all get it wrong sometimes. Maybe our timings is off, perhaps we didn't compensate for government stupidity enough, perhaps a major political or economic event derails our well intentioned plans... crap happens.

What I used to like about SS, was the ability to be open about an idea, an alternate investment, whatever, and have constructive adult discussion, without fear of constant reprisal and hounding.

FWIW, directly correlating one asset class against another is idiotic. Each has their place, their purpose and their time.... *sigh*.....

Back