Still motivated in your day job?

I never understand why people want to 'quit' their job. Doesn't that mean one never found what they love to do? And the truly wealthy that I know still work and love what they do so I don't think I 'get it'.
I love what I do and I'm in charge of my destiny. When I get bored I change companies and I consult. I engineered myself from doing stuff I hate to doing what I love over the years. Each year gets better! And I keep studying and learning as I need constant intellectual stimulus as I'm always bored!
Now I get to sit on boards and charity foundations and I have a ball mentoring and developing the next generation. I take chunks of time off each year to travel and all in all I'm doing what I want to do and I couldn't imagine what else I would want to do. I think the trick is to find what you love and engineer yourself into that.
My next challenges are; getting the hang of this investing thing and learning how to ride them dang ponies.
Loving learning on this site - so that's my 50cent contribution to avoid being called a 'lurker'

Lol. Loving to do something and being able to make a living from it unfortunately don't always go hand in hand.

I want to quit my job.

I love what I do - but I still cant wait for the day when I dont need to be anywhere.
The reason being is that what I love to do doenst make money and nor should it. But at the same time I love living a certain level of lifestyle which cant be achieved without a certian level of financial freedom. Im not chasing $millions, just "enough". And I know exactally where "enough" is. My plan sees it reached at 35 (age).

Its not about enjoying or not enjoying what I do. Its just if I had the choice, I wouldnt be going to work of a day.

I want to quit my job.

Im not chasing $millions, just "enough". And I know exactally where "enough" is. My plan sees it reached at 35 (age).

Gee, Blacky, you're doing well to have that worked out.
Something I still haven't achieved. Not sure if it's my conservative forecasts or whether it's just greed, but I certainly will require a few million to secure my family's lifestyle.
I'm a cautious critter, so the more the better. Working out how much more is the tough part, IMHO.

so the more the better. Working out how much more is the tough part, IMHO.

I guess that is the problem for many. I dont think greed is a bad thing as long as it is directed correctly.

Certainly once I have my "enough" it wont mean I will stop investing. It simply means that I can quit my day job and "retire". Retirement to me is not stopping. It just means that I wont be coming to work anymore.

The way I calculated it was to figure out how much I needed per month to live the lifestyle I wanted, then calculated what I needed in order to get paid that amount without working and counted back from there. Then started putting the plan in place.
Im running a bit behind time at the moment, but hope to catch up soon. :p

I think without this plan in place I would have given up a long time ago, and just lived for now. It would be much less work (now) and being inherintly lazy that always appeals to me.

In saying all this my dad says that some girl will get hold of me, and ruin all these grand ideas (not in those words of coarse :p)
I guess only time will tell.

Happy days!

Funny you ask, yea I have. Just spent 5 weeks there. Oh and you can get more pay, have a lower cost of living and live in a true metropolis.

Not for everyone though, some people need their big backyards to feel they're living

????
Where?

Plenty of places.

Other option is to start a company. Of course we all know (from reading rich Dad poor Dad) that a company only gets taxed on what is left over AFTER it has spent every last cent. Sucker employees get taxed first and then get to keep the dregs. That was enough of a wake up for me.

????
Where?

Hong Kong. Though Dubai would be an option. But HK makes most sense to me due to language. Problem with Dubai is it's a 'new' city, who knows if it's sustainable. HK and Singapore are definitely sustainable as the new gateway to the next superpower.

Highest income tax bracket: 15%
Capital Gains: 0% (they've never heard of such a concept haha..)

Of course, there's cons about it too, such as small living in a space, mild pollution etc. So it's a lifestyle choice. I actually like the lifestyle over there more. But I understand a low cost of living (with the exception of housing), excessive rich-poor divide, karaokes, massage palours, dining out, tall buildings, big shopping centres every 5 minutes (all of them are probably bigger than the biggest one here) are not for everyone.

People are in Australia are where they are because they prefer big skies, no buildings, massive parklands, big houses, sports. The price for this sort of lifestyle is just exorbitant taxes to support a country with strong social welfare policy and strong union movements.

mild pollution

Lol mild pollution. More like heavy pollution. Even here in Tokyo we have nothing compared to the pollution in Hong Kong :)

But similar to you, I like the convenient life style in a dense asian metropolis. It's a pretty convenient and active life. But I do miss the great open freedom and nature side of oz. I miss things like having a huge whole entire area for your own dedicated home gym etc. But you can't have everything. Most of the Japanese crave the great outdoors and that's why they love Australia so much, its the opposite of what they're used to. But after a long break, you find that most of them actually want to return to Japan to live. They are too used to the convenience etc. I have become that way now too. There are so many things I will miss about living here. Fly back to oz tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mixed feelings!!!!!!!!!!

True. At my age, the open skies and big park lands are less of a concern. But to be honest, most people who come here from these developed megametropolis (like Singapore, Seoul, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Shanghai) go nuts pretty quickly, because it's actually so inconvenient and slow-paced. It's almost like some outback city. Even the airport feels outback the moment you land - I certainly got that feeling when I landed back in Melbourne. It wasn't just that it's small and old (and that it certainly is) - it was also dirty and the queues were sooo slow.

Ironically I was fine in HK, but the moment I came back I got hayfever.

Check out Xian if you want to see heavy pollution.

Hong Kong. Though Dubai would be an option. But HK makes most sense to me due to language. Problem with Dubai is it's a 'new' city, who knows if it's sustainable. HK and Singapore are definitely sustainable as the new gateway to the next superpower.

Highest income tax bracket: 15%
Capital Gains: 0% (they've never heard of such a concept haha..)
Of course it's okay to live there if you know you can always come back to a nice country like ours.

Problem with Dubai is it's a 'new' city, who knows if it's sustainable.

Dubai is sustainable... it’s the gateway to the whole Arab world, like HK is the gateway to main land Asia. The RE bubble in Dubai really put a dampener on things there but it looks like a recovery is happening there.

Of course it's okay to live there if you know you can always come back to a nice country like ours.

I’d have to agree with this. Knowing that you have that blue passport and a ticket back to the safety and tranquillity of Australia is almost priceless

airport...Melbourne... it was also dirty.. .

After travelling to Taiwan via HK earlier this year, I have to comment on the loo's :D

I now figure the biggest culture shock anyone from these countries could get when they first land would be to go to the loo in the terminal at Tulla. I would not be surprised if they wanted to go back home on the next available flight.

The loo's in KHH and HKG looked like no one had been in there before you - even though there was a steady stream of people going in and out! Yes, I even took a photo! :eek: (this one from KHH)

The Y-man

Attachments

• DSC04970.jpg
    DSC04970.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 126
After travelling to Taiwan via HK earlier this year, I have to comment on the loo's :D

I now figure the biggest culture shock anyone from these countries could get when they first land would be to go to the loo in the terminal at Tulla. I would not be surprised if they wanted to go back home on the next available flight.

The loo's in KHH and HKG looked like no one had been in there before you - even though there was a steady stream of people going in and out! Yes, I even took a photo! :eek: (this one from KHH)

The Y-man

achievementdemotivationalposter.jpg

I see Australia has yet another untapped skilled worker shortage. :p

Back