Still motivated in your day job?

Mooze, you have the best day job, in my opinion, because you enjoy doing it.

We were at a gathering of hubby's family yesterday. One son has just decided to ditch architecture after 2.5 years (half way through) to change to journalism/law. He was not enjoying architecture and is looking forward to law.

Next son is about to apply for engineering.

Hubby's sister's partner insisted that my sons should look for a job where there is big money. I told him I would rather they find something they love doing, and be happy rather than simply look for a big paying job. I told him that we had discussed this, and I had advised them to NOT chose a career or job for monetary reasons.

He prattled on and on (and on and on)about money until my ears were nearly bleeding, and how well his business has done since he started it in 1988. He told my son to do Business so he could start a company and make a motza. He then said he had not been able to have a holiday since 1988. I said to him "There you go. Right there is a BIG downside for you for chasing the money."

I wanted to slap him really, but kept my cool until hubby whispered in my ear "Get me out of this hell hole" and we escaped :D.

There are so many people unhappy in their day jobs, that hearing from someone who enjoys theirs is a breath of fresh air.

Hubby's job until recently was enjoyable, but was getting pretty difficult the past few months. He has taken his LSL leave, and has relaxed so much, I may never get him back there :).

hi all
day job can you specify the term

sorry to say can't ask the boss
I am the boss
do I like what I do
If I don't I do some thing else.
people ask why do I come to a meeting and me and my co rider are so happy
simple
we like what we do
we pull the sh't out of their problems and turn them around
do we play by your rules
no
why
we play by our rules
do we wake up and think is gfc going to hit
no
why
because we like what we do.
we are not the financial people most people want to meet
but thats business
simple question
look on the map of distressed assets in this market
and say where is it hurting most
then look and say where it the ground zero
and google it and its me with the flag waving it.
do i like what I do
yes
do I like alot of the people I have to deal with
no
but ask the guy at mcdonalds
hope this helps I think it won't

You sound happy in your "day job" Gross. Well done :D.

Also, my son LOVES his part time job at McDonalds. I think it is wrong to assume the staff there are not happy dealing with the people they deal with.

I would not enjoy the job that Mooze does, because it is not my "thing", but I really think he/she is SO lucky to have found something to do that is enjoyable, AND be paid for it. That is the "bees knees" in my books.

I hope my boys can find a job that they enjoy. Of much less importance is whether it pays a lot of money. There are plenty of highly paid people out there who are miserable.

Hi everyone!

I am also lucky enough to love my day job. I love the people I work with, the people I deal with and go home to my kids a very happy mum. I am also grateful that I never have a lack of motivation to get up in the morning and go to work! It helps that I deal with investors every day so I see (as well as practising myself) that hard work and determination pays off if you want to achieve the lifestyle you have dreamt of.

If I am having a bad week or I feel like I am enjoying it less I go to the boss and we work out a way to improve the way I feel about the job. I also have him to aspire to, he is a very happy go lucky person, has a great home balance and a happy wife and kids and 'talks the talk' that we promote at work.

I read the book 'fish' about 6 years ago and it changed my outlook dramatically. I work 3 x 10 hour days and 5 hours from home (once the kids are in bed) and if I am going to spend so many of my waking hours (and hours away from my boys) you can be damn sure I am going to do something I love!

I understand that some people cant help the industry that they are in or are not in a position where they can do something they love or change jobs, but until you are financially free enough to fund your own lifestyle maybe your job is something you could learn to love?

Alysha

GR:
do I like what I do
If I don't I do some thing else

Yep.

I do what I love and even more, I love that what I do.

It is within me, I cannot be something I'm not.

The verve of my life. It is within.

Mr OO loves to manage stuff. He is really good at it too. He is world's most natural organiser, manager... so it's the verve and the clock.

I thought it might interest people on how I discovered/uncovered closet investors, and how I get along with others that aren't (without keeping what I do a secret), in a white collar office:

1. The Conquest Map

On my partition is a map of Melbourne with dots indicating our IP's (of late, half the dots have been liquid papered out!:eek:).

If people asked about the map, I would simply say "I own those". If they were interested, they would generally run the conversation from there.

2. The RE.com ads and floorplans

I used to also have print outs of RE.com ads (or glossies from the agent) on properties I had just bought, or was looking to buy on my partition. Most people assumed they were for my own home - which seems to be a topic most people love to banter about (OMG! Why are you buying there? It's full of bogans! etc), and is interesting as an investor to get a feel for what the views of the working population is (whether about prices, reno's, interest rates etc). Surprisingly often, you would get someone walking up and professing to have an interest in IP's (and sometimes with a bigger portfolio than yourself!).

3. Don't profess to be wealthy

It's easier to be on the same wavelength as the "ordinary battlers" if you are slightly worse off than them. If they find out you are "wealthy", they'll think you're (a) a snob (b) you should be buiying the drinks

The standard line: "I am committed and working hard, because the -ve cashflow on these IP's is killing me." (which is most likely true :)) or "You think you have mortgage problems! You should see mine!" (which is also probably true). You may generate enough sympathy from your workmates to buy drinks for you. Also, leave the Ferrari at home.

After a while, you would be surprised how many people come to you to discuss things like who to use as conveyancers, negotiation techniques, settlement, etc (again usually for their PPOR, but that doesn't matter) - because you are seen to be "doing it".

Cheers,

The Y-man

You'd be a top bloke to have in an office environment Y-man, as long as the boss was cool with it.

If I had of done what you do, I would of had to grab the KY jelly, cos my boss would have ripped the articles down as per your points 1 and 2, and given strict instructions to put up only material that was relevant to the company's business objectives.

You are right though, as soon as people find out you aren't a numpty, they come to you to chat about negotiation tactics, offer clauses etc etc. Surprisingly most are older and should know better, but it doesn't stop them chatting....anything to break the monotony.

If I had of done what you do, I would of had to grab the KY jelly, cos my boss would have ripped the articles down as per your points 1 and 2, and given strict instructions to put up only material that was relevant to the company's business objectives.

Know what you mean - but considering the "standard" stuff in our office is one or a combination of:

1. family/travel pics
2. cars and other transport (planes, boats, spacecraft...)
3. sports people / celebs

... property stuff is easily camouflaged in the "noise" :)

Cheers,

The Y-man

cos my boss would have ripped the articles down as per your points 1 and 2, and given strict instructions to put up only material that was relevant to the company's business objectives.

Few years ago I had a contract overseas, a similar to this.. suit and tie was expected, no personal calls were allowed, no mobile phone ring tones, no internet, no eating in the office - even at lunch time. and we used to get those annoying "housekeeping" emails at least once a day :rolleyes:

Since none of this was written in the employment contract, and it was only a 3month stint, i refused to wear a tie out of protest :p

What are you doing Mooze? Is it you who carries 50 kayaks about? Running extreme sports/triathlons or something..??

See ya's.

Yep
Have a 30foot horse trailer with 50 kayaks and 10 mountain bikes. We run adventure races (mix of running/walking, mountain biking and kayaking whilst navigating the whole time) in Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth and all points in between. Hence why I get to travel so much! Also because we're always looking at locations it means we actually get to stop and see the smaller towns along the way (we actually try to stay about an hour outside of major cities at least).
Get to meet a great variety of characters along the way as well. And seeing first timers cross the line at the end of a race with massive smiles on their faces is great. We had one pair of ladies at our event on Sunday who didn't get through anywhere near the whole course - because they were falling down in fits of laughter so much.
Also because it's an inclusive sport - it's not about being super fast, or strong, or great navigationally. It's about getting outdoors, having some fun with friends, and meeting new people at the BBQ afterwards. Rare to get a DNF - more likely to get time penalties for missing certain parts of the course, means everyone is a finisher.
I love the smiles though. :D

Yep
Have a 30foot horse trailer with 50 kayaks and 10 mountain bikes. We run adventure races (mix of running/walking, mountain biking and kayaking whilst navigating the whole time) in Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth and all points in between. Hence why I get to travel so much! Also because we're always looking at locations it means we actually get to stop and see the smaller towns along the way (we actually try to stay about an hour outside of major cities at least).
. :D

Wow, that sounds great.

Are you lot also 'real fun' and 'rapid decents white water'..?? I've been researching what kayaks to get for my girls. There was a good testimonial on the australis companies web site about the little 'bass' kayaks from them.

We are heading off for a few weeks camping and canoeing in October, so I'm getting 2 kayaks. Already got a bigger bushranger. In a few years I'll be taking them on multiday overnight trips. It will be a heap of dads, multi heaps of kids. Can't wait.

We have done the Macleay, Hastings and Manning so far plus tributaries off these rivers.

See ya's.

i'm passionate about town planning and residential living spaces.

therefore i consider myself fortunate to be able to make aliving out of what i enjoy.

however, i'm still selling my time and expertise. eventually there will be someone out there who will be better and cheaper than me.

i've recognised this and am trying to get back into property to make it fund my lifestyle, instead of selling my time forever.

Wow, that sounds great.

Are you lot also 'real fun' and 'rapid decents white water'..?? I've been researching what kayaks to get for my girls. There was a good testimonial on the australis companies web site about the little 'bass' kayaks from them.

We are heading off for a few weeks camping and canoeing in October, so I'm getting 2 kayaks. Already got a bigger bushranger. In a few years I'll be taking them on multiday overnight trips. It will be a heap of dads, multi heaps of kids. Can't wait.

We have done the Macleay, Hastings and Manning so far plus tributaries off these rivers.

See ya's.

No major rapids from us (although we cover up to grade 2/3 in longer races), get a few ropes/abseiling/climbing sections, lots of great scenery, and a good chance to hang out with friends (or family - we had three generations racing in the event the other day).

PM sent re kayaks

I treat my day job as another asset. I invest heavily in it with my time and mental effort and continuing on the job development. I let it take me overseas where the the personal development really compounds. I find as i do this the income side also compounds to the point that my "day job" is my best performing "asset". This is in turn has allowed me to leverage heavily, pay down loans easily, and afford a great lifestyle at the same time. This in turn really helps me love my job, which helps my performance, and the cycle goes on....

I think if you simply treat your job as a "means to an end" and don't invest in it as much as you can you are letting yourself down, colleagues down, employer down, and ultimately, limiting your own investment success.

Putting 110% into my investing AND into my job to maximize income, will accelerate my financial and personal goals. but that's just me folks....

Hi Rixter. Kind of expected this argument to come up and glad you raised it.

I treat my job as an investment. I don't see it as selling my time, I invest my time. Nuances and play on words maybe, but for me it reflects my mind set. I have invested heavily in my day job and choose to continue to do so, and as a direct result I now enjoy a very high income from several different streams such as, monthly cash deposits in the bank, annual company stock awards, quarterly dividend payments from said stock (more cash), LSL, super, housing (which allows me to turn my sydney PPOR to IP - more cash), insurances, etc, etc.

For me, it's a real asset and I try to treat it as such.

....what about autonomy.

Mindset only gets you so far.

Shylock always wants a pound of flesh.

The greater the benefits - more flesh required.

How do you overcome or manage this disinterest in your day job?

It really depends on what role people play in their dayjob.
And after a certain point activities that are classed as dayjob and those that may not be get intertwined.
Having a coffee on the main st of Cronulla checking out the local demographics can be work.

As for jobs, I always thought if you have to do something, may as well do it as best you can and be the best you can.
Take pride in your work and yourself.

Back