Stolen keys / car park gate - Apartment

To give some background info, I am looking to move into a purchased apartment.

July
- A 60 day vacate notice is submitted to the tenant

July 28th
- Tenant provides notice that he/she will be move out on August 28th

August 27th
- PM tells me that I can collect the keys the next morning at 10.30AM and complete a Final Inspection

August 28th
- I turn up only to be told by the PM that the tenant didn't give them the keys and that they will contact me asap if they get the keys.
- Gets to around 5.30PM, no contact, so I call the PM to ask what's going on. Am told that the tenant sent an email at midday to inform them that he will be running late in providing the keys and so will hand it in tomorrow morning.
- PM says he will call me in the morning for an update

August 29th
- No phone call from PM, so I call him at 11.30AM only to be told the tenant is un-contactable
- I call the PM at 3.30PM to be told that he received another email from the tenant stating that his car was stolen on the 26th of August (i find this odd since he had previously committed to handing the keys on the 28th) and he has lost the buzzer to carpark gate, keys to the security door and the key set for the apartment door itself
- Whilst on the call, the PM apparently receives another email from the tenant that states that the oven door is now broken and that he has ordered another one to come in.
- I get the PM to grill the tenant and give a set deadline to provide the keys before getting a locksmith in.
-The tenant comes back saying he has found a spare set 10 minutes later... This now prevents me from taking the bond money for a locksmith and change of locks.

My question revolves around what occurs now with the shared keys and electronic carpark gates?

Will I need to work with the body corporate to replace the car park gate buzzer and shared security door + keys for all the other owners of the apartment complex?
Anyone run into a similar situation?

I basically feel like i'm getting stuffed around by the tenant and PM (should've done his due diligence before committing me to take time off work to do the final inspection).... What are your opinions?

Will I need to work with the body corporate to replace the car park gate buzzer and shared security door + keys for all the other owners of the apartment complex?
Anyone run into a similar situation?

They usually just cut another copy and get another remote. (not very secure, but too difficult to change for all and sundry)
Expensive though - make sure you take it from their bond.

The Y-man

You will probably need to get another remote control as your new tenants will want one. Just make sure you let the body corporate know that the other one is missing so that they can arrange with all of the other owners to reprogramme the garage door and their individual remotes.

We weren't aware that our tenant had lost their remote until it was too late (they had been in a car crash and it was "lost" during the tow from the accident). Anyway, 5 cars in the complex got broken into the next day. Thankfully as we didn't know the remote was missing, we weren't held liable.

The only key you really need worry about is the units front door key all the other key are simply a repurchase from the strata.

As all ready mentioned security blocks really aren't that secure as the strata will just continue to issue new keys and access cards. The are blocks that have individual access cards but they are few and far between and also if I was living in the type of block I really wouldn't want the strata to be able to identify when I come and go.

I do wonder why you didn't receive the keys to the unit when you purchased it or conversely why doesn't the PM have a spare key.

A positive outcome is if the tenant doesn't supply the key and you need to get a locksmith in. At the time of the visit get the locksmith to change the tumbler get a couple of extra keys cut and stick it to the tenant. Better than you having to pay to change the lock.

Cheers

Just make sure you let the body corporate know that the other one is missing
I think I will let the PM handle this part

A positive outcome is if the tenant doesn't supply the key and you need to get a locksmith in. At the time of the visit get the locksmith to change the tumbler get a couple of extra keys cut and stick it to the tenant. Better than you having to pay to change the lock.

Sadly, the tenant returned the unit key at 5PM yesterday which means I can't get a locksmith and change the locks and slug their bond for it :(

Still missing the remote and strata security key..

Is it your tenant or the sellers?

Tenant

Will be doing the FI tonight

Back