Stop sign at 45 degrees . My legal rights?

A stop sign was installed at 45 degrees to the road my wife was driving on.

The distance from existing an under shopping centre car park onto a circuit to the an intersection was 40m. There were 3 dumpsters on the road which were around eye height which probably didn't help my wife observe the sign.
She didn't see it at all.

What specific legal leg do I stand on to challenge this without going to court.

I want to write a letter to the officer in charge of the station .
Fine was $330 and top speed was probably 8km /hr before breaking slowing doen and turning the corner......not relevant , I know.
Just need legal opinion rather than sympathy.

if the sign was positioned properly I would just pay
Thanks in advance

Similar thing happened to me father last time with re to a do not turn sign. Take photos, write a letter and he got off of the fine as he just couldn't see it. He won.

Was there a full block line on the road where the stop sign was?

If there was, plus the stop sign - I'd say you'll be up for the fine. I think a sign at 45 degree is pretty weak argument.

pinkboy

A stop sign was installed at 45 degrees to the road my wife was driving on.

The distance from existing an under shopping centre car park onto a circuit to the an intersection was 40m. There were 3 dumpsters on the road which were around eye height which probably didn't help my wife observe the sign.
She didn't see it at all.

What specific legal leg do I stand on to challenge this without going to court.

I want to write a letter to the officer in charge of the station .
Fine was $330 and top speed was probably 8km /hr before breaking slowing doen and turning the corner......not relevant , I know.
Just need legal opinion rather than sympathy.

if the sign was positioned properly I would just pay
Thanks in advance

I give no sympathy, but you can write a letter to the police and/or that place you pay the fine to (name escapes me). Take a photo and send it in with any other evidence. Keep in mind they would get hundreds of these and they don't care what your story is.

Next step is to challenge in court and get a copy of their brief of evidence - further letters can be supplied. Look at the relevant legsilation and look for outs.

Was there a full block line on the road where the stop sign was?

If there was, plus the stop sign - I'd say you'll be up for the fine. I think a sign at 45 degree is pretty weak argument.

pinkboy

I thought about that .what if they were traffic lights?Never seen them at 45 degrees at a t intersection

I give no sympathy, but you can write a letter to the police and/or that place you pay the fine to (name escapes me). Take a photo and send it in with any other evidence. Keep in mind they would get hundreds of these and they don't care what your story is.

Next step is to challenge in court and get a copy of their brief of evidence - further letters can be supplied. Look at the relevant legsilation and look for outs.

thanks . off to take photos now

thanks . off to take photos now

The police officer will be pleased. He can use your photo to reinterate the stop sign existed.

Unless totally obscured beyond recognition - I bet you will be up for a fine + time, energy and expenses fighting it.

pinkboy

Very, very few people (practically zero) actually STOP at stop signs. Most only slow down to "almost stopped" and then accelerate out. Most probably think they have stopped.

The only way to challenge the fine IS to go to court. Either pay the fine, or challenge it in court.

The sign was probably installed correctly but got hit by one of the dumpster trucks. ;)

I didn't realise it was a stop sign, I thought it was a promotional sign for a song! :eek:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 59
Back