Storage Units , what type is most in demand ?

Hi people

I hope to be setting up storage units soon so I've been trying to find out what type of storage is in most demand first of all, to design the building to best suit.
Seems like the units for household and possessions of any sort are the main but it's been pretty hard to nail really.

Little units for household stuff or more the boats / cars type of thing ?
Any clues, experience, tips or opinions ?

Cheers

Hi people

I hope to be setting up storage units soon so I've been trying to find out what type of storage is in most demand first of all, to design the building to best suit.
Seems like the units for household and possessions of any sort are the main but it's been pretty hard to nail really.

Little units for household stuff or more the boats / cars type of thing ?
Any clues, experience, tips or opinions ?

Cheers

Dont quote me but document storage is in demand in many areas and often it is missed. Our company has endless trouble finding suitable storage for our hard copy documents. We require temp/humidity controlled rooms.
Just a thought.

Thanks Devo.

Documents , had to re read that one . That's a shame , document storage might be a tad too sophisticated for the set up I'm hoping to do [ relying on present sale that is] but it's food for thought.

Cheers

I have rented various sized units for differrent purposes over the last 10 years.

I had a party plan business for a few years and had to keep a storage unit for bulk purchases, stock and as a place to pack orders and keep samples etc. This was a unit about the width of about 3.5m x roughly10m. It had power and a light, something which some others didnt have and which was esential for someone who wants to use storage for this kind of business. It also had an undercover area at the front of the unit for us to back the car up to so we could unload stuff in the rain. I dont think I paid extra for the light and undercover unloading area, but I would have.

I also had a small unit in the same complex for personal storage when I was renovating my small PPOR (at the time). This unit was about 2.5 x 2.5 and didnt have any individual lighting. The only lighting was one in the hall outside that was on a timer at the end of the hall about 10 metres away. I almost killed myself several times. Not a big issue (lighting) if you are only storing household stuff and only accessing a couple of times a year, but absolutely essential if you are using it to help run a business and are there quite often.

This complex also has 24hr access (with a pin number) to get into the complex and an on site manager. Was the reason we went there as we could be there at any time, sometimes into the wee hours of the night when the business was in busy times.

I have also rented a shipping container as storage, which was great until it leaked through t he roof and damaged some of our stuff. This is storage for houshold items from previous lives of myself and husband before we got together, still negotiating who's stuff will get tossed (but thats another story). The container was quite adequate although it would have been better if it had been placed under a flat roof structure, like a carport type structure.

If I had a bit of appropriate zoned land I would be doing just that (with shipping containers). The one we rented cost us $88 a month and we had to go on a waiting list to get it. We live in a town about 30 min North of Newcastle and I wouldnt have thought the demand would be there, but it is.

We now have our own container.

One thing the storage facility had (when I had the party plan business) was a pallet jack and trolleys for people to use, was a great added bonus.

I guess you really need to supply all sorts.

Hope this helps you!

storage is fantastic.

i've looked into it numerous times.

the best sizes are 6x6 (cars and equipment) 3x6 (household, cars and equipment) and 1.5x3 (household). all modular.

as mentioned document storage is HUGE but you nearly need an AC office block to control the environment.

This is storage for houshold items from previous lives of myself and husband before we got together, still negotiating who's stuff will get tossed (but thats another story).

I think we all know who's stuff is going to end up getting tossed. But it's good that you can go on Somersoft and publicly give him a glimmer of hope :)

I think we all know who's stuff is going to end up getting tossed. But it's good that you can go on Somersoft and publicly give him a glimmer of hope :)

Rob,
He has a TRIPLE garage chocka full of :

2 x MG...B? rusty carcases that are going to be "restored" (on the 30 year plan no doubt)

More MG spare doors than he has MG's for

gearboxes, engine(s), diff(s), removable (rare he reckons) hardtops for roadsters, dollys, rotisary (for the cars), s**t loads of various tools,

Tins full of screws, bolts and widgets,

welder,

a pallet of tiles

His batchelor fridge

2 broken lawn mowers

and a double carport that was so cheap that we had to get it and leave in the garage for the last 2.5 years.

Cant hardly get in there...............

Oh and in the shipping container....................

amongst other things, 15 aluminium tubes about 25cm dia that he is going to make into a water feature!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

Dont worry about him, he's doing alright in the hoarding department.....................although hes "not a hoarder" you know!:eek:

And your point?
One day you're gonna be wanting a 25cm aluminum tube and HE will be the one getting a serve because he doesn't have them any more.
And they are not "rusty carcases". They are jewells in the rough. Waiting for a little TLC.
Some people would give anything for a cheap carport.
And why would you want to get in there, anyway? It's full of "guy" stuff that you clearly have no idea of it's true value :)

This is great stuff thanks very much people.
Actually I thought the thread had died but there ya go.

Thanks for the detail to , very very handy. Shipping containers are a thought to but I'd imagine they'd feel kinda weird inside & wouldn't have thought people would go for them but there ya go.
Yeah with paper storage I'd be guessing you'd need a pretty expensive air tight or controlled environment for anything serious , although an old house with lots of rooms would also be fine for so so stuff I spose . Interesting , there's a thought .

I'm really exited about this one , I've been doing some other checks and feel pretty confident it'll be well worth my while , rather than say putting on a rental house instead .
The low costs and simplicity of storage mean it close to triples the house rental income if I get the takers but it's a pretty good location so it sounds like that ones covered in time .
To be honest I always thought most storage would be 3/4 empty most of the time but most just about anywhere I've inquired are booked out and knocking them back or expanding to cater .

Vedy cited .
Cheers

say what! Had to wait to get a container? I am in the industry and could have supplied you immediately out of Newcastle! Containers are a great option, but to be honest when the client turns up and sees the containers it can leave a bad impression, and can certainly make the storage facility look "cheap", I think going a bit more high end will pay dividends in the long run. If it looks "cheap" you will get cheap customers that cant pay bills = more hassles. Good luck with the business.

(edit and if you want shipping containers send me a PM)

hi devo76
ultimo document storage can store your type of stuff no problem hav'nt got the numbers but google will get you there.
as for containers they are very cheap and do work to store but they are not something that you would store someone elses items in for me thou great fro storing beer in the fridge units
if you are looking for storage units
the best way is to find a cheap high roof building 3 to 5 mtrs high is best and rack the building
not containers
thro you could sent up a tokyo container capsual type hotel just put in documents have a look on the net at them
have no idea about the profit margins even if profitable but most contain sellers also rent containers by the week or the month
I price the refridge units and a 40ft is about 9k with working compressor which is cheap
20fts 6k working as well not sure about unrefridge units (not looking at them)
does this help

just a side note
I have a group that can stack and build a hotel up to 10 storeys with containers
so you can store then stack and charge to unstack and un pack
does need to use the correct locking pins but is very possible
just an idea pm me if you wish

say what! Had to wait to get a container? I am in the industry and could have supplied you immediately out of Newcastle! Containers are a great option, but to be honest when the client turns up and sees the containers it can leave a bad impression, and can certainly make the storage facility look "cheap", I think going a bit more high end will pay dividends in the long run. If it looks "cheap" you will get cheap customers that cant pay bills = more hassles. Good luck with the business.

(edit and if you want shipping containers send me a PM)

Thanks for those tips and contact rade , handy info and appreciated.That was my impression of the shipping container look too to be honest . Mind you , was thinking of dressing them up if I did put some in or their a bit of an eyesore otherwise but at that I may as well just build a bit bigger shed I guess.

Cheers

just a side note
I have a group that can stack and build a hotel up to 10 storeys with containers

Thanks very much for that info GR. Gone right off the container thing I think so I've decided to go the building path . Great idea with the racks to by the way . My design leaves one end spare, which could really suit some sort of rack setup actually.

Cheers

just a side note

really? i would love for you to tell me which council would allow full shipping containers to be stacked 10 high? You would have NO CHANCE. Ever notice depots dont go much higher than 5 or 6 maximum? Plus there would be NO advantage is going up, all it would do is cost you huge $$ because you would need to biggest fork lift or crane in the world to life 30t from 10 high... buy the crane or forklift yourself would cost more than half million at best. You do the numbers... its a dead duck...

.. and twist locks, wont work, how are you going to undo them? cant happen.

just my thoughts anyway. :):):):)

I used to have a pic somewhere of a really nice storage facility in NZ, it was with containers stacked 2 high - and had permanent stairs railing built up to each container, cant find it though - sorry. But it did look quiet good.

Anyway good luck with it all.

Back