Store people that don't listen!

Just went to buy a 5m cat5 cable with the ends already on it.
Go to the counter "can I please have a cat 5 cable made up"
takes me to go cut some cable
"can I please have one already made up, with the ends on"
tells me "no no no, we don't have that"
To cut a long story short she cuts the cable, then says they can't put the ends (which she said they would) then I find ones that are already made up! She then tries to make me buy the cable anyway because I only asked what I wanted once!! should have taken 5 seconds to get what I wanted if she had just listened the first time.

A 'made up' Cat5 or Cat6 cable is called a fly lead or a patch lead for short ones. You can buy them in different meter lengths and straight through or crossover depending on your use.

Computer to switch needs straight through while switch to switch requires a crossover cable.

I agree that some store people just don't listen to a customer. You wonder why they are there half the time.

Did she then give you the change in the modern way.

That is receipt on top of notes and then dump the change on top of that.

It is the most irritating thing I find.

I noticed that the Hungry Jacks in Melnourne airport has a notice posted at every till:

"Even if the customer specifically asks for a small size, ask if they want to upgrade to a large"

I find that sort of thing mildly insulting.

it's upselling. basic grab-more-cash. it's done everywhere you go, without you noticing.

a large coke costs the big chains 18c - including labour. check out the markup next time you're there.

It is everywhere, and very subtle. So people don't realise. Here's just one eg:

When you go to Maccas and buy a Big Mac meal or a Quater Pounder meal. They come with fries and drink.

McDonalds is doing whats called packaging (which is a form of upselling/cross selling). By doing this they raise their average dollar sale amount. The days of the basic "would you like fries with that?" are long gone. Now you generally don't get to choose. Not economically anyway.

Who buys a burger only? Or chips only?

And then when they ask you if you want to upsize. That's a double upsell. Excellent!

There are plenty more examples of this but this is one of the subtle classics of the genre.

Store people that don't listen

Thought you had found a way to store them or avoid them eg store them in a cupboard.

ROTFL

Sheryn:p

It is everywhere, and very subtle. So people don't realise. Here's just one eg:

When you go to Maccas and buy a Big Mac meal or a Quater Pounder meal. They come with fries and drink.

McDonalds is doing whats called packaging (which is a form of upselling/cross selling). By doing this they raise their average dollar sale amount. The days of the basic "would you like fries with that?" are long gone. Now you generally don't get to choose. Not economically anyway.

Who buys a burger only? Or chips only?

And then when they ask you if you want to upsize. That's a double upsell. Excellent!

There are plenty more examples of this but this is one of the subtle classics of the genre.

Actually I only buy the burger and coke zero seperately. i don't like or want fries. I find it frustrating tryin to order a happy meal for the kids though. the number of time I have to repeat myself or send it back because they gave me fries instead of apple slices or coke instead of apple juice.

went through the drive through the other week. Asked for a lean beef burger, got to the payment window "oh sorry don't do those anymore", ok I'll have a tandoori deli choice roll, "no, problems". Get my food off them they have given me a wrap, take it back, "oh we don't do rolls anymore". Don't want to give me a refund. I got my refund, because that is NOT what I ordered - doesn't matter if it has the same filling, it is not the same product! Had to argue with the (teenage) manager about this.

Did she then give you the change in the modern way.

That is receipt on top of notes and then dump the change on top of that.

It is the most irritating thing I find.
Growing up working in retail, I still find this to be the most irritating habit.
It is NOT difficult to seperate how you give change!

Sorry everyone, I just can't for the life of me understand why the way someone gives you your change could upset you so much.

I mean, honestly, there are many more pressing issues to cause me to lose sleep.

Just out of curiosity...how are we supposed to receive our change the "correct" way?

Boods

Just out of curiosity...how are we supposed to receive our change the "correct" way?

Each note one at a time in order of most valuable to least valuable, followed by each coin one at a time in order of largest to smallest, followed by the receipt. Ignore the impatient people behind you in the line.

Each note one at a time in order of most valuable to least valuable, followed by each coin one at a time in order of largest to smallest, followed by the receipt. Ignore the impatient people behind you in the line.

Sounds like it would make for such a nicer shopping experience! :D

Boods

I haven't lost sleep over it for weeks and weeks now. I suppose you simply jam the whole mess in your pocket, or perhaps change in wallet, coin in pocket and put the receipt ... ?

Correct Way. Sure Shop Assistant 101 when service meant more than 'have a nice day'

Purchase price $10.50. You hand over $50 for example
SA - handing you 50c
10.50, 11
handing you $2
handing you another $2
handing you $5
handing you 20
handing you 10
and your receipt. In the bag?
have a nice day

See how much better that is for you. You don't have to count the bundle of change in your hand to see if it adds up to the receipt AND you know instantly and so does the poor shop assistant that you're receiving the correct change.

Instead - we get

Purchase $10.50
innumerate shop assistant reads amount to give as change on til
counts that amount out into their hand and grabs receipt
You open hand
your outstretched hand receives, notes, coins, in reverse of whatever order they took it from the til. then their other hand puts your receipt on top of this pile.
Have a nice day

Excuse me I gave you a 50 not a 20
Oh I'll get the manager.
(continues serving next customer)
manager confers with sales assistant
Oh we'll have to wait until after the tills close to see if they are over $50. Can you come back then?

No I never lose sleep over that sort of thing. Every time it happens I just smile and move on.

Correct Way. Sure Shop Assistant 101 when service meant more than 'have a nice day'
Sorry, ianvestor, as an 80s retail survivor, I'm 100% with JulieW; it's the exact reverse of what you said. You count up from the purchase amount to the amount tendered, and then you both get to double-check the amount of change while it's being given to you.

I have a smile when I make a purchase for $36.50, for example, and I give the pimply teenager behind the counter $51.50, and they look at me all confused because they've seen the $50 out of the corner of their eye and already entered $50.00 on automatic pilot. They seem to either 1) totally miss the point and give me the $1.50 back saying "It's only $36.50, $50 is enough", or 2) it's just way too hard to figure out that they now need to give me $15 instead of $13.50. :rolleyes:

Gees, I'm sounding - and feeling! - old now. :D

So true Tracey. I remember working in Coles as my very first job way back before they had tills that calculated the change. We actually had to calculate the change ourselves! In our heads! Using our *gasp* brains! :eek:

Then we had to count the change back to the customer rounding up to the next highest dollar amount so coins went into their hand first followed by notes and then the receipt.

I learnt more maths working as a checkout chick than I did at school.

Back