Storm damage

I've been told one of my houses has suffered some severe water leaking due to the recent new year rain and storms. Water has entered the roof which has come away in an area and the air conditioning has fused out.

I'm not too worried about that as I'm with EBM and that damage all seems covered. The issue is the tenant wants out of the lease due to the comfort factor. It is taking a little while to get things fixed as it is a bad time of year to get tradies.

Is it fair to let the tenant go ? Should I just put that in a claim of lost rent ? I have suggested a rent reduction until the repairs are done, or perhaps she move out rent free for a couple of weeks.

Anyone been in a similar situation ?

Difficult one - how confident are you that they'll find another place easily even if you release them from the rent?

i.e. do you think they will be able to move out by the time their next rental payment is due?

The Y-man

I've been told one of my houses has suffered some severe water leaking due to the recent new year rain and storms. Water has entered the roof which has come away in an area and the air conditioning has fused out.

I'm not too worried about that as I'm with EBM and that damage all seems covered. The issue is the tenant wants out of the lease due to the comfort factor. It is taking a little while to get things fixed as it is a bad time of year to get tradies.

Is it fair to let the tenant go ? Should I just put that in a claim of lost rent ? I have suggested a rent reduction until the repairs are done, or perhaps she move out rent free for a couple of weeks.

Anyone been in a similar situation ?

No but if this was your PPOR - you would be in the same position and you would have to wait for tradies and your comfort would be compromised.

You have PM (I've been told one of my houses) - instruct PM phone tenant and tell them this is the time of the year when construction industry is on holidays.

Tough.

Agree rent reduction or tenant can move out until repairs completed if it is that bad, lots of people after storm damage survive with a tarp over roof to keep water out until repairs are rectified.

Regards, Sheryn

Thanks - I like that comparison with PPOR.

I've told the PM to get the repairs done and advised EBM there is a claim in the pipeline. I don't see how I can do anymore.

Back