Story about an illegal GF in San Francisco

I feel sorry for the landlord having to go thru that crap. Honestly I would have sold too after going through all that... especially if a tenant is going to park their car outside my house... wouldn't feel safe at all!

I'm amazed by how far the laws seem to favour the tenant over there, quite a shock compared to where I assumed most of America would have been on the issue.

btw if you aren't already, I recommend subscribing to priceonomics. They write fantastic articles about their core business of price data analysis, as well as some on more unconventional data sets that bring about some not so obvious conclusions.

I can't believe that over there you can't kick out a tenant when you sell. How ridiculous is that? I'd be so annoyed if my dream house came up and then found out there was a squatter there (or low-paying renter) that I couldn't evict!

I'm amazed by how far the laws seem to favour the tenant over there, quite a shock compared to where I assumed most of America would have been on the issue...

There have been similar stories of woe regarding the removal of tenants from here (Australia) as well, one quite recently from a long settlement that didn't go to plan.

There is no "proper" way to terminate an illegal tenancy agreement, and there is no tribunal.

I've never tested it but it's a theory.
In NSW the Tribunal actually has the power to recognise an occupant as having a "tenancy". It doesn't stipulate who can make the request.
So perhaps a landlord with an illegal occupant could ask for 2 orders :
1. that a tenancy be recognised and
2. that the tenancy be immediately terminated and possession be granted to the landlord.
Then the Sheriff can enforce possession.
Just a thought.
Cheers
crest133

Back