Strange Problem - Telephone Line

Hi All

I was advised some time back now that my tenant is having issues with accessing a phone line. PM organised for a technical company to look at this as we seem to be going around in circles, am still not sure what way to go

Here is the reply from tech company, expensive???

The tenants had had a Telstra networks technician on site for two hours, trying to find the ?lead in ?or network point, which is the recognised boundary between Telstra?s responsibility, and the home owner?s responsibility. He was unable to identify the cable termination within the premises, but assured the tenants that the service was active, and they would need to have their own technician find the termination to hook up the house sockets to the phone service.

I determined that there has been a larger cable than normal brought into the property at some stage in the past, and taken through the wall into the downstairs property. Despite searching the house, and the roof space, I was also unable to locate the cable termination. I also found that there have been a number of data cables run throughout the roof space, which all head down a wall near the kitchen. However there is no evidence of them inside the house. I suspect there has been a hub of some sort there in the past, where the telephone cable, and all the data cables ran back to, which has been removed, and the cables cut off , pushed into the wall space, and the hole patched over.

The simplest way of moving forward would be to cut back the cable at the point it enters the house, to determine if the Telstra services are actually there, as they have reported. Then, a cable will need to be run from this point to the upstairs tenancy, as per the tenants wishes. We could also run one to the downstairs tenancy at the same time, as both probably need to have access to phone lines in the future. A waterproof network point will need to be purchased to house the join, and exterior cable run for the two points in the two tenancies.

I anticipate that the work will cost around $500ex to provide a phone connection into both tenancies, and about $100 less to do just upstairs. This is an estimate only, as it will depend on the required location of the points inside, which I didn?t determine with the tenants while onsite.

Still trying to get my head around this one.

Cheers
MTR

Phone lines are horrible, horrible things and almost as bad as fences!

Not sure which state you're writing from but in VIC the landlord is responsible for making sure the line is accessible from the house and the tenant responsible for their own connection from inside the house.

If you give the report to another technician (without the pricing quoted) they should be able to give you an approximate quote to do the same work so you have something to compare it with.

He raises a good point that you should do both upstairs and downstairs at the same time, what is the price difference going to be if you leave the downstairs until a later date?

Telstra are really quick to claim no responsibility and sadly you need to prove their responsibility before they will do anything so I think you will have to be the first to make a move.

I will be interested to see how this turns out with the extra quote etc. but as far as a landlord responsibility in VIC goes you would need to carry this work out :).

We had an IP with several phone points, only one of which worked. The tenant complained, but the PM told us that (in Qld) we were obliged to supply only one working telephone point.

In your case it would be false economy to do only one.
Marg

We've just encountered a similar problem in our new PPR. A bit of home wiring done by the previous owner and Telstra can't find the entry point to the house. They quoted $35 per quarter hour to do the cabling work for us. The guy gave me a card with an ex Telstra workers details. He came out and quoted $150 for the same job.

I'd get some external quotes and get both places done at once.

I am tearing my hair out over this issue too... signed up to the iinet package with video content, internet etc, ticked the box for the $299 new line connection, thinking cool that's that done - then nothing. then... endless incompetence, iinet pended it, then rang to advise I didn't have a line (I know, that's why I ticked that box), technical babble as it got passed from iinet to telstra and then subbies and back to telstra, something about some distribution board (which didn't apply as it's a hosue not an apartment), then telstra rang to confirm that the line was in place for their technician to connect, to which I said no I am waiting for them to connect the first point into the house as per their customer charter for $299, so they cancelled that appointment and said their subbie would be in touch, has all gone quiet now, I emailed iinet and they haven't replied. So... that's that. I guess someone in accounts will be the first stooge to pop up, who knows???

amazing. I just wanted the internet.

I would get a second opinion. We have had phone line issues of the same, company one said lots of work was needed, second company fixed for next to nothing. If would be worth checking as I assume it was working previously.

I want a second opinion, however my PM tells me everyone wants to charge me just to look at it? Damn it, already paid $100 for a report, this is the company that wants to charge $500.

I guess I could ask what is the hourly rate?? Still now the way I want to go.

I am tearing my hair out over this issue too... signed up to the iinet package with video content, internet etc, ticked the box for the $299 new line connection/QUOTE]

I think your better off in this circumstance to get the phone line with Telstra first and then order Internet. Nothing worse than going through a third party.

I want a second opinion, however my PM tells me everyone wants to charge me just to look at it? Damn it, already paid $100 for a report, this is the company that wants to charge $500.

I guess I could ask what is the hourly rate?? Still now the way I want to go.

Who would bother looking and quoting on such a small job. I'd agree, it's a callout fee.

has all gone quiet now, I emailed iinet and they haven't replied. So... that's that. I guess someone in accounts will be the first stooge to pop up, who knows???

amazing. I just wanted the internet.

second email to iinet asking for an update, with application reference number in the title and the full chain of correspondence below. I get this - and I quote -

"Hello,
Thank you so much for your email.
In regards to your query, we would love to be of assistance however due to lack of information we were unable to locate your account.
Would you be so kind to please forward us your account information? You are welcome to send us your username or account reference number."

I mean seriously - I give up.

Back