Strange / Silly place names in Australia

But then who wouldn't be ?? Surely no-one is stupid enough to call a suburb that.

Ah TPFKAD, Carrickalinga is a beautiful beach in SA; and full of million dollar 'beach shacks'. A hidden gem. That and Black's Point. Probably a silly name, but I reckon many in Queensland are much worse.

Ah TPFKAD, Carrickalinga is a beautiful beach in SA; and full of million dollar 'beach shacks'. A hidden gem. That and Black's Point. Probably a silly name, but I reckon many in Queensland are much worse.

Don't worry Pushka, in WA we have Innaloo, and even better, Upper Swan. :)

Boods

What are you lot all talking about? NSW has the best place names.

Dunedoo
Bogan Gate
Burrumbuttock
Gulargumbone
Come by Chance
Watanobbi

See ya's.

Wow - a thread I didn't start with me as starting the thread ??

You mods sure are handy with your IT magic.....

In future, could you please afford me the general courtesy of notifying me prior to starting a thread using my name when I am completely unaware of it. Thanks.

In future, could you please afford me the general courtesy of notifying me prior to starting a thread using my name when I am completely unaware of it. Thanks.

I was thinking why would TPFKAD start such a pointless thread!

Yeah, strange, quoting something out of nowhere??

Nobody mentioned Cockburn? Doesn't matter how you pronounce it, it's still a silly name!

I think there is one in every state too...

The main st in our town is Cockburn Rd. It has the biggest, most expensive houses on it. The local real estate agent enthusiastically marks up any houses on that street by an enormous factor.

I vote Bogan Gate the winner :D

We took a picture of the sign 'Bogan Gate' on our way from Adelaide to Brisbane. On our return trip it had gone - we presume it got nicked!:D Will just rummage and will surely find it and post it!

Yup, here tis!

Attachments

• bogan gate SS.jpg
    bogan gate SS.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 85
We took a picture of the sign 'Bogan Gate' on our way from Adelaide to Brisbane. On our return trip it had gone - we presume it got nicked!:D Will just rummage and will surely find it and post it!

Yup, here tis!

It's probably one of those signs that disappears on a regular basis! Main Roads will have a stockpile of pre-made Bogan Gate signs on hand.

We have "Elm Street" in Hamersley over here in WA, this sign gets nicked all the time.(well, it used to when I was growing up)

Boods

Hi all

In Victoria we have,

Neerim East, which is South of Neerim Juntion, which is West of Neerim North.

Genoa, ......nah never met her. :p

Euroa, ...... You rowa the boat I bringa the beer. :rolleyes:

Hillgay, right near Paschendale. :eek:

and of course Boinka, but nowhere near Genoa, nor is it near Upper Plenty.

bye

May as well chip in seeing as though I started this....:rolleyes:

In WA there are some towns out between Southern Cross and Kalgoorlie with some strange names...

Koolyanobbing

Bullabulling

Cowacowing

When driving through the last two as a kid my big sister asked if there was a Calfacalfing close by.

Back