Strangest "doodads" story you have heared

Just getting the grips on being strange and making the choice to walk a path "I" want to walk and which I believe to be a "superior" path than to spending on doodads and mega depreciating assets.

I have myself spent on things I wouldn't now...like, in early 20's getting a $400 cable TV set up at home along with paying like $70 per month for four channels (which I got rid of later on)...along with handing over $500 holding deposit for a second hand car only to realise the seller did a runner and turned not so nice when we did take a mechanic to check the car and last but not the least, getting the new home "cleaned" by a company for $400 when moving out. The cleaning guy threatened to not come over if I didn't give him the credit card number. I was naive enough to feel threatened and gave the number. Only to realise, we would have done a better cleaning job ourselves...

However on to the interesting stuff I have heard people say....

I met a guy at a dinner in his mid 20's or so a few years ago. He was working as a graduate at one of the Big 4. All of us friends caught the train home and he came along....So we were talking and he said...since men don't spend on jewellery like women do, I buy $5,000 watches...and a couple of them...

I was kinda impressed back then (as I was like 22) and thought wow, he must be really well off to have such great "cash flow" to be able to buy multiples of $5,000 watches...

Now looking back...I'm like...really, who cares?!

I've also met professionals well in their 40's who would be too excited about Swiss watches sales and I heard they bought two for family members and regretted not buying just one more?! While they would only choose to wear it in summer when people can see it. I was like...are you kidding??

Let's not get confused. I love my $200 watch...and I have lost a few...but still...

Just for the sake of being curious...would like to know if you have had such experiences?

Keen to know because it's hard to acknowledge not everybody is on the page of investing and not being financially conscious is not something common. Sometimes I think, if I'm becoming financially conscious, probably every body else is doing this too. But at the same time, I'd like to acknowledge it really isn't the case. Don't get me wrong, I am so pleased to surround myself with people on SS :D....It's like I want to catch up with people on here.....which I used to find was a bit of an effort with people who do not have this mindset.

I know someone who paid $700 or so for a coffee machine. It didn't work so they put it in the bin. Mutual friend asked if she could have it and retrieved it from the bin - spent $35 on a spare part and is enjoying her coffee. Original purchasers were NOT happy but if they were silly enough to bin it rather than take it back, then more fool them.

They are like that on many consumer items. Show ponies. Too many similar stories about this family than I can remember.

I'd add...I had someone tell me they went to Europe and stayed at family friends. To make up on the saving on the accommodation, they bought a Louis Vuitton (LV) bag which cost $2,200 on the credit card...

But then I also know someone who actually bought an LV bag for $2000 and sold it a few months later for $1600 and regretted...and then said they were selling an 8 months MAC laptop because they wanted a newer model. Oh and even the iPhone cover was LV :p

We had a party at our house on the weekend - cost me a few thousand. Was an awesome party :)

If it makes you happy, I say spend. Life is too short.

We had a party at our house on the weekend - cost me a few thousand. Was an awesome party :)

If it makes you happy, I say spend. Life is too short.

Sure :D....Our biggest indulgence every year is Lindt cakes on every birthday in the family. Lucky my sis and I are twins...but we get 2 cakes then :p

We all have had our regrettable purchases and impulse buys that we come to regret.

1. A 5k treadmill that I have only used 3 times since I bought it two years ago. I thought this was going to turn me into a super fit marathon runner.

2. A 4k black leather sofa - looked very good in the showroom with the hot blond saleswoman

These are the most expensive items in my household. There is no tv, no sound system no air con, no jewellery, old clothes, single mattress on the floor. My ten year old toyota is worth about 3k.

Let's not get confused. I love my $200 watch...and I have lost a few...but still...

It's funny - I am currently in the throes of agonizing over buying a(nother) watch....

Contrary to your $5k watch dude, I have the sort of reverse problem :eek:

I have 2 watches. One is a Seiko Type II that my dad got from somewhere in the early 80's (I think). I use this one for Uni, because I can tell the time at a glance.

The other is a digital Timex Marathon (one of those $30 things) we found in one of our IP's during a clean out in a cupboard about 10 years ago.

I use the Timex for travel.

Now, I have grown rather fond of this little Timex. Recently my Passport expired (10 years) and this little watch has officially outlived the passport on its travels.

It has been to Fiji, and though it is only rated to "50m" (i.e. splash resistant) I have gone snorkelling with it, and even operated the buttons underwater (apparently you are not supposed to do this).

It has been to a freezing England, the mountains of Taiwan, the unbelievable tropical heat of Borneo (and into the sea again), and the bustle of Singapore.

It has so little metal in it, that I wear it straight through metal detectors at international airports.

When the strap gave up before the watch did, I spent $20 on a new strap.

I've replaced the battery once for $15.

It has dual time for when I am in different time zones, it has an alarm to wake me up (at ungodly hours like 4am to get to morning service etc) during conventions, and a light so I can see the time in a tent with no power without fumbling for my torch while camping out.

I just can't bring myself to buy another watch until I can retire this one - but it just keeps right on going!! :eek::)

The Y-man

I don't have many toys, but have loved watches all my life. When I was 9 years old I started with a $50 seiko (gift from my older brother on his way back from europe, duty free), progressed to the omega in my twenties. Now in my forties I wear a patek philippe. At 35,000 euros I didn't even bat an eyelid. Recently bought one for the wife. My only real toys are watches and assets. Reward yourself - life is very short.

And don't always assume the "tosser" with the watch, car or whatever is high on credit. Many pay cash for items they love after years of hard work and prudent investing.

I don't understand people who spend multiple hundreds of dollars on brand name sunglasses and then whinge when they sit on them/lose them.

I buy mine from the Cancer Shop for less than $50 - and damn they're good glasses.

Looking at getting a Tissot Visodadte Automatic for my birthday. Nothing too expensive, checked out the clockmaker but I feel like something different.

Everyone has something they like to spend money on, if they can afford it so be it.

People still use watches? Why bother if you are carrying a phone?

A few reasons for me:
  • Hard to see time on the mobile while lecturing as well as real danger of leaving it behind in the room if I have it on the table in front of me (even a digital is hard to see so I use my analogue Seiko watch)
  • Places I go travelling often have no power (or not enough power points!) so can't charge my phone (without a solar charger or the like).
  • When you're sitting or standing in pouring tropical rain, my mobile wouldn't make it either.
  • Also, security concerns in some places mean I need to carry "valuables" with me into the showers or lock them in my bag - so much easier to leave my watch on 24/7 (again their need to be waterproof - as some places the "shower" can be just a dip in the sea)
  • When painting an IP, it's a pain to get your mobile out to look - watches are much eaier. NOTE: resin bands and plastic faces suck for painting - at least paint comes off steel bands and glass/crystal

When my watch(es) do give up, thinking of going for an analogue solar powered watch with LED light for looking at the time in the dark along with a world time function :D

eg something like
http://www.crazysales.com.au/casio-g-shock-watch-g-1250b-1a.html (but a steel band version)

or

http://www.crazysales.com.au/citizen-mens-watch-jy0001-51e.html

On the other hand, I guess this would do just as well
http://www.oo.com.au/Casio-Watch-For-Men-Black-an_P116162.cfm?cm_vc=homePZ1CS

:D

The Y-man

Doo-dads

HIya

Does paying $350 for a facial qualify as a doo-dad?:D

(er...that's every 4 weeks...in my younger days..)

okay i am ready to dodge any funny comments now!

Back