Strangest "doodads" story you have heared

It just gets rubbed off and blows away/gets pushed off by cars as they pass over it.

Many end up as the surface of kid's playgrounds these days - shredded and then mixed together into a granule matting..

Some are used as new supports for coral polyps to attach to on reefs - loads of them joined together and placed on the seabed...after a while they are covered in life.

We have to pay upwards of $1 per tyre to get rid of them from our workshop. :mad:

Bayview,
In Canada we pay $3 per tire we purchase, for "environmental"..also TV, ipods, computers etc have a surcharge too, depending on their size...and paint cans...pop & liquor bottles/cans..never ending
I didn't mean the visible parts of the tire on the side of the road, I meant when the tires wear away thru normal wear. It must be rubbing onto the road?

Socks:
At one of our apt buildings we have free laundry. When we show applicants this room, we always mention we have a cupboard of unmatched socks..help yourself.

I didn't mean the visible parts of the tire on the side of the road, I meant when the tires wear away thru normal wear. It must be rubbing onto the road?
As far as I know (and I'm not that smart) the only rubber that sticks to the road is possibly the burnouts that the doofus hoons do in their fully sick VT's maaate!

ooh - if this is one of those "how stingy can a property investor be" threads then I've got a beauty... I recently realised that a pair of socks I have (just regular cotton business socks) are over 20 years old! I find that extraordinary.... can anyone beat a 20 year old pair of socks?

I visited my granddad a couple of years back and he was quite sad. When asked what was wrong my grandma said that he was depressed as he had just opened his last pair of jocks.
Evidently at the end of the war they were selling all the army issue undies (new ones which hadn't yet been delivered to the troops) for something like 1c each (of coarse back then it wouldn't have been cents it would have been the old currency). Granddad had bought something like 100 pairs and 60 years later he opened the last pair. He was depressed that he would now need to spend like $4 on his next pair.

I still think your 20year old socks wins :D

I visited my granddad a couple of years back and he was quite sad. When asked what was wrong my grandma said that he was depressed as he had just opened his last pair of jocks.
Evidently at the end of the war they were selling all the army issue undies (new ones which hadn't yet been delivered to the troops) for something like 1c each (of coarse back then it wouldn't have been cents it would have been the old currency). Granddad had bought something like 100 pairs and 60 years later he opened the last pair. He was depressed that he would now need to spend like $4 on his next pair.

Aww, that's cute :)

As far as I know (and I'm not that smart) the only rubber that sticks to the road is possibly the burnouts that the doofus hoons do in their fully sick VT's maaate!

There must be a lot of tyres on the road. I never hoon, but I have to replace worn tyres every so often- what was on the tyre must be on the road.

In fact I have heard that this is what helps make wet roads more dangerous. When it hasn't rained for a while there's a lot of powdered tyre mixed in with the water.

There must be a lot of tyres on the road. I never hoon, but I have to replace worn tyres every so often- what was on the tyre must be on the road.
It does wear off the tyres on your car, but more like sandpaper wearing away granules of the substance it sands - not a layer of melted rubber that continually sticks to the road and building up a layer.

It's tiny granules that eventually work their way off the road. It would only stick to the road if it was melting; such as extremely hot days with a super-soft compound; and it's a maybe, and would need some seriously hard cornering to melt it (or a hoon-worthy burnout).

In fact I have heard that this is what helps make wet roads more dangerous. When it hasn't rained for a while there's a lot of powdered tyre mixed in with the water.
That's correct. It doesn't stick to the road like a layer of glue normally - I think this is what others were inferring?

It's mostly a concoction of tyre granules, oil, and grit, dust, sand etc, I believe.

Don't know whether this is considered a doodad. But have just blown 6.5k on return business class tickets from Sydney to Vegas. Already fretting and wondering whether I will regret it. However, the last two times I went to US on economy, I felt half dead for two days after each flight.

Don't know whether this is considered a doodad. But have just blown 6.5k on return business class tickets from Sydney to Vegas. Already fretting and wondering whether I will regret it. However, the last two times I went to US on economy, I felt half dead for two days after each flight.
With a high income and no properties to service it won't be a problem for you.

I still think your 20year old socks wins :D

Not quite the same... But was thinking of this post when I gave our nearly 17 year old son (17 in four weeks) a pack of new cotton boxers for sleeping in. I was sorting the washing and threw out the two pairs that he had been wearing. They were stretch tshirt fabric... Size 5 :D.

That would have gone a fair way towards a newer car after trading in the corolla, I would have thought.

If you've never been to Vegas before, you probably won't regret it.

But, if you have been there before, I would question spending any money at all on going there again - from Australia (unless you are an addicted gambler?)

That would have gone a fair way towards a newer car after trading in the corolla, I would have thought.

If you've never been to Vegas before, you probably won't regret it.

But, if you have been there before, I would question spending any money at all on going there again - from Australia (unless you are an addicted gambler?)

This is my first visit to Vegas because there is a business conference being held there. I pondered a long time between economy ticket (1500) versus business (6500). At the very end, I decided to splash out because I think that a price needs to be paid for personal comfort and secondly, I want to be able to return to work ASAP and also be in the best form during the conference.

The extra 5k could have gone towards a new car or a TV or food for one year. Therefore, a hard decision.

Can't wait to throw all the above away and live a simple no doodad life somewhere tropical lots of sand,water & coconuts.

Your post reminded me of an article in The Age last year.... :)

There are the gardens and livestock pens, there are a few bare huts to sleep in and a small boat to fish from. That's it. This should be anyone's idea of heaven, regardless of which sect you belong to. It's the classic model we're all supposed to idealise: living on a sun-drenched island, eating pure, organic food, leaving a carbon footprint of zero, with no mind-rotting distractions such as TV or the internet. That's "the life".

Of course, that ideal rarely translates to the real world. If that were the case, right now you would be throwing down your newspaper, calling your travel agent and booking a one-way ticket to the Garden of Eden to spend the rest of your life farming or cooking, depending on your gender. But you won't do that. You'll sigh, think, "Wow, that's the life," and then get ready to roll up to the office again tomorrow morning. Same as I did. I guess most of us just aren't ready for heaven yet. Lucky, really - it would probably get a bit crowded.

http://www.theage.com.au/travel/blo...tch-of-eden-20110712-1hbjb.html#ixzz2EcKWhKRp

The Y-man

having flown o/s a lot, not a hard choice for me at all.
For $5k, I'm willing to put up with a bit of jet lag :)

+1. We've done holidays where we've spent less than $5k for almost 6 weeks accomodation in nice 4+ star serviced apartments in the US.

Regardless of travel class, you'll still be jetlagged and tired. It's just worse in economy because you can't get comfortable.

This is my first visit to Vegas because there is a business conference being held there. I pondered a long time between economy ticket (1500) versus business (6500). At the very end, I decided to splash out because I think that a price needs to be paid for personal comfort and secondly, I want to be able to return to work ASAP and also be in the best form during the conference.

The extra 5k could have gone towards a new car or a TV or food for one year. Therefore, a hard decision.
Just have to ask the question China does the ATOpick up the bill for the business trip or do they only allow for back of the plane economy costs?..

Just have to ask the question China does the ATOpick up the bill for the business trip or do they only allow for back of the plane economy costs?..

I am counting on the ATO to help with the bill for this business trip. I think that accommodation is claimable and whether I stay in 6 star hotel or backpacker hut, that should be a tax deductible expense. Similarly, some people claim car expenses on a corolla and some claim on E class mercedes. So i don't see why i cannot claim on a 6.5k ticket in business class versus a 1.5k ticket in economy. In business class, I can conduct business related activities such whereas in economy I cannot.

VY Berlina: I once flew business class on Air Asia. The plane left Kuala Lumpur close to midnight and arrived in Sydney at 8am. Usually, in economy, I would feel destroyed on such an overnight trip. However, in the business class, I had a flat bed and an enclosed cubicle. When I arrived, although I was tired, I was in a good enough state to commence income producing work within four hours of arrival. Therefore, this experience has made me consider business class more carefully.

The full costs where reasonable are deductible. However the purpose of the trip and number of personal vs business days will determine deductibility... eg 5 day trip with 3 days at conference and 2 days sight seeing will only mean 3/5th of the costs are deductible.

Back