Strata Approval

I'm new to this forum.
I just bought an investment property in a strata building and want to take out the carpet and put in vinyl floor tiles (look like wood). I've sent emails to the strata committee to try and get approval but no one has replied. There is nothing in the by-laws that I can see about this or about the quality of underlay required. Am reluctant to proceed without approval - any ideas?
Besse

It's possible that no-one has ever set a precedent before and there are no specified standards. Probably, you'll be the one to set them.
It would be a good idea for you to become a member of the executive committee and then you'll know whether other members are getting emails and responding to them, etc.
I would suggest asking the strata manager who is in the executive committee and then approaching a couple of them to see what's going on re: your enquiry. If there's a contact person, you could go to him/her first.
Could be a good idea to have an executive meeting with whoever's in the committee.
If you do all this and no-one participates, then they can't blame you for doing anything wrong. However, I'd encourage you to get a bit of life into the committee so that you don't end up with a whole lot of people just going off and doing their own thing now and in the future.

Strata Matters

Hello,

It's not unique to not receive responses from executive committee or strata manager straight away. Sometimes the wait time can be weeks. :)
I'd recommend to call your strata manager or secretary and not wait for their response if you think your matter is urgent. You should have their contact details.

In regards to floors - if there is a defect it is most probably owners corporation responsibility to fix (all owners, not just your unit).
If it's just your personal will to change the carpets only in your unit then the owners corporation will probably not cover your costs and also consecutive costs to maintain the new floor.

Hope that helps.

Back