Strata Committee

Need some advice here!

I am planning on replacing kitchen doors and the benchtop in my investment unit. As these has to be approved by the Strata Committee, I have put in all the necessary paperwork. Strata has come back stating that the contract I entered into with the renovations company is not valid as it is not a "long form" contract which is required at law for contracts greater than $5k. My point is that I am the one at risk should the contractor pull out or go broke before completion. Accordingly, I feel Strata has no right in demanding the form of contract. What do you all think?

Many thanks
Ed

They may be right about the contract, but I didn't think strata would be concerned with kitchen doors and bench top. Is the property brand new or something?

Since when does strata have anything to do with your kitchen doors and benchtop?

Thats like saying you need approval to paint the wall in your apartment!

To ask the obvious question: what is a long or short form contract? Are they from the HIA, OFT or the MBA?

Body Corporate has limited rights when it comes to inside your unit (exterior blinds, floor coverings, air conditioning etc).

I don't understand why the kitchen etc would be strata business, unless it is related to an insurance claim. My advice would be to check on the legal boundaries and responsibilities of the Body Corp first before worrying about the form of contract. You can google and ring the state government for advice. They should be able to clear it up for you with just one phone call.

Cheers

Jen

Back