a very simple question, i hope some lights to be shed on.

building that I am about to purchase a unit on, has shown extensive concrete spalling.

there are 20 units in the building, so special levy would be 120,000/20 = 6000 per unit.

I don't mind forking out this money to get it fixed ... BUT ... what will happen if not all 20 units willing to fork out the money? Will it ever get fixed?

let say that only 10 units agreed to have this fixed ... not sure if they would do 120,000/10 = 12,000 ... which is too much for me to fork out.

considering this will impact in structural damage if being left like this, obviously i would want all 20 units to agree on this special levy but i am just a single unit and don't have that power to force all 20 to do what i think should be done.

what is your thoughts on this?

Where is the property located?

Generally, the special levy will be payable by all lot owners relative to their interest in the scheme. This may be 1/20 or may be different.

Depends on the powers of the executive committee.
If they have unlimited power they can rule that it will be done and everyone will be sent a bill.
If they have a limit (some are $10,000 without having to get approval) then a special meeting will be called and owners will be asked to vote. I can't remember what % needs to be achieved for go ahead. If it does go ahead everyone gets to pay.

Ask your strata manager.

Depends on the powers of the executive committee.
If they have unlimited power they can rule that it will be done and everyone will be sent a bill.
If they have a limit (some are $10,000 without having to get approval) then a special meeting will be called and owners will be asked to vote. I can't remember what % needs to be achieved for go ahead. If it does go ahead everyone gets to pay.

Ask your strata manager.

Just majority present at the meeting.

From experience whenever there is a discussion about spending money and special levies everybody turns up. Compared to a standard meeting where your lucky to get a quorum.

An executive would have to be crazy to make the decision for this large an amount even if they have the spending power. The subsequent belly aching would be endless.

Seeing that the OP is aware of the issue and even the level to be spent there must already be a history of discussion relating to the problem. You may find that there may even already have been some money raised towards the issue.

Cheers

Yeah. If there is a special levy approved (and this is typically through a majority at a GM) then it is not optional. Everybody has to pay the levy in proportion to their lot allocation.

The joys of strata living!
My guess is yes, if not everyone pays, but at least the majority (and I do not know the set % for majority) pay, the problem will be fixed.
Strata (that's you, m'boy) then have the right to chase the outstanding owners for the fees.
First steps will be cheap ones. Strata manager sending letters to the owners.
Next steps get more exxy. Hire debt collector to chase levies.
And where does the money for this debt-chasing come from? The pockets of all the owners of course!
Joy oh joy.
I could have built a deck or upgraded a bathroom with the money I've been forced to spend on strata nonsense.

Back