Strata issue - EC powers over my own parking lot

Dear All..

After being a passive reader for a while, I have unfortunately started to feel the pain of strata living..

I have a parking spot in a block of over 60 units. We have an active EC of 8, who until now been very active, however many issues go on for months and months, especially maintenance ones, cleaning etc.
We have a secure, open parking lot of 3 basement floors, not seen from the outside of the lot. each unit has it's own parking space, and it's on title.
Recently I have noticed in the minutes they have sent two 'notice to comply' to two units because their cars are bumping out into common property due to heaps of storage items on their parking spot, and are about to to another 4 units, despite the fact we are all within our boundary.
They claim that in general, storing items such as cartons etc or having the car bumping out worries the fire department and we might loose our fire safety certificate. They also say that it looks 'unsightly, excessive and vermin inducing'.

I have started an email quarrel with them after doing my own review and finding out that:

1. not only about 30 units having 'breached' their conditions, one of the other units on the 'notice to comply list' actually meets what they think is 'appropriate' in terms of neatness, some units actually have much more storage than I am, or their car stick out, or the storage spills into other parking lots, and one even stores two gas cylinders, and 90% of the units store cardboard boxes.

2. Verifying with Fair Trading (I'm in NSW) that indeed I can use my parking spot for storage if I want to, and worst of all:

3. the EC chairman and who I believe is the main force in this decision has a nice lexus so big + a storage unit that his car can't fit in the space and will never will, unless they park the other car outside (they have a 2 car space and 2 cars there). That really got me fuming, given that so many other REAL issues that I am chasing up with them such as grout spillings, ongoing issues with cleaningness etc are not dealt with to my satisfaction, and yet I am being polite with them, don't go to Fair Trading etc and try to keep the peace, this is not met by them.

I would like to know what you think might happen, if they have a case, and if indeed they have any grounds to tell anyone what to put or not to put in his own lot (fair trading said no but I would like second opinions.., just to be on the safe side..). I feel that it's the equivalent of telling someone how his own apartment looks like from the inside, plain rude..

Cheers
guyguy from NSW

So I'm guessing you are one of the units storing items in your car space?

Seems like you and EC might have different priorities.

You think this is a priority:

That really got me fuming, given that so many other REAL issues that I am chasing up with them such as grout spillings, ongoing issues with cleaningness etc

They think this is a tad more important:

They claim that in general, storing items such as cartons etc or having the car bumping out worries the fire department and we might loose our fire safety certificate. They also say that it looks 'unsightly, excessive and vermin inducing'.

I tend to think that when people store stuff in open car spaces it's not usually stuff they value so it might as well get tossed out.

There are those lockable storage boxes that you can buy that are mounted on legs so a car bonnet will fit under them. Maybe you could buy one of them? I'm sure the EC would be happy with that.

Back