Strata-working on cars?

Quick question, are there any laws preventing someone from working on a vehicle in the confines of their garage in a strata building, providing it's within reasonable hours?

Cheers
Greg

Quick question, are there any laws preventing someone from working on a vehicle in the confines of their garage in a strata building, providing it's within reasonable hours?

Cheers
Greg

Is this your car, a friends car or a business arrangement?

Who is defining reasonable hours?

What are the strata rules?

Cheers

Pete

Is this your car, a friends car or a business arrangement?

Who is defining reasonable hours?

What are the strata rules?

Cheers

Pete

My project car. Just sanding/spraying etc. No panel beating/cutting etc.

Reasonable hours would be same as construction hours I imagine. Don't know the strata rules, will ask strata management on Tuesday if I don't find a firm answer beforehand.

Cheers
Greg

just ask for a copy of the bylaws. don't tell them what you want it for though.

a body corporate can have all sorts of things in their bylaws - environmental, noise, smell, etc.

a recent complex I am familiar, without notice, prohibited washing of cars in one's garage or common areas, on the basis all roof and run off water was collected for use in the pool. this obliged residents to do it elsewhere at cost.

another complex I am aware of specifically prevented persistent operation of electronic tools and construction work. this came after one bloke tinkered on his Harley week after week, periodically giving it full throttle...and another resident decided to make a business manufacturing aluminium framed massage tables in his garage. He used angle grinders throughout the day 6 days a week. I know of another tenant who was asked to stop playing his electric guitar for hours a day.

when you live in close proximity, such as a townhouse or apartment complex, there are certain freedoms you have to surrender....otherwise it is rats trapped in a cacophony of noise.

I would have said no problems to your original post but sanding and spraying are a bit different.
Is it your garage (or are you renting). I wouldn't want overspray in my garage.
Also there is dust and fumes to consider.
Is there a unit above your garage? If so this could be an issue.

I go by the rules of- if it doesn't affect anyone else in any way there is no harm. If it does affect others think again.

My project car. Just sanding/spraying etc. No panel beating/cutting etc.

Cheers
Greg

Can see a by law coming up.

I certainly wouldn't want anybody spraying anything in a strata where I had a property (even if it was an IP).

Sanding with all the residual dust and the smells from the spraying :(

Cheers

I would have thought that some small repairs like changing the oil or servicing would be fine, but sanding and spraying? Too many potential problems like noise, mess, smell, fumes, overspray etc.

Probably OK if the garage is seperate and away from other cars etc though.

Back