Strategy To building our portfolio

Hi All,

I'm trying to find the good architecture for this sub division. if anyone know some one pls share the contact.

To archive $100K plus net passive income, how do I plan?

MI

Hi All,

I'm trying to find the good architecture for this sub division. if anyone know some one pls share the contact.

MI

Work backwards. If you assume that 25% of your rent is taken up by insurance, water/council rates, management, strata etc, then you need 133k passive (100k divide .75)

To get 133k passive at say 5% yield (133k divide 0.05) then you need $2.66M worth of unencumbered houses. You could play with the numbers at different yields. Some of it may also come from other asset classes.

That 2.66M worth of houses might be 2.66M worth of houses owned outright, or perhaps ~5.2M at 50% LVR or whatever LVR you like.

Similarly, that 2.66M could be 4 x 650k places, or 10 x 266k places. It all depends on what incomes you're on, what timeframe you have and what risk profile you have.

Pretty rough numbers but I hope this helps.

Hi Aaron,

I was looking for Unit Construction cost per Square Meter to calculate the full cost. Then i might go with back unit first and keep the front home.

Also i'm trying to find the Architect and the builder for this sub division.

Is anyone had experience with propertysubdivision.com.au people?

MI

Hi All,

MI

Hi Melbinvestor.

Try Danes Design in Chadstone, we use them for our developments.

100K in passive income

Hi Melbinvestor,

You can also work your way backwards in terms of rental income, so since you need 100K in passive income in approximately 10+ years, you can work it out that you need 2K a week, or about 4-5 properties fully paid off (considering rental income will be higher in 10 years). So if you were to buy one property a year, worth, for example, 400K each, at 90% LVR, then you would end up with a portfolio worth around 8,505,159.32 after ten years, considering the growth on all properties will be at least 6% a year.

Your final result will be a "net profit" - leftover equity after paying off all of your loans ( iam not considering CGT for this example) will be 4,566,149.32, which will produce an income of more than 100K a year. Considering rental yields grow by at least 4% a year (just to match inflation- I am being super conservative; I am an ex-banker:)), then you would only need approximately 4 properties paid off in full and 4,566,149.32 will give you more than 4 properties, so you will have your more than 100K passive income there. If we assume inflation rate to be at 4% per annum, then you really need 150K a year, if you are happy with 100K a year now.

Of course, not all properties will give you the same return, some will give you over 10% and some 4% , and it will change over time as well, but if you are serious about building a portfolio and having that control over your future through properties, then you need to think outside of Melbourne as well. Because if Melbourne goes down, you will be exposed to this high risk, therefore diversifying around Australia is vital.

Last edited by a moderator:
HI Srasulov

Thanks for your advise. We are seriously looking all our opportunities to reach to the target.

I'm researching and gathering information to build two 4 bedroom houses after knocking down my old property. Then the strategy to keep or sell.

Do i need a paid Feasibility Assessment before proceeding to development?

How do i list all the development cost?

Survey cost =
Architecture & design fees =
Building cost 4 bed = $280,000-$300,000 mid level inclusions (26 SQM)
council fees & levies =
Holding Cost =
Sub Division Cost =

Also Looking into Loan Structure and security .......

MI

Thanks all, I am doing bit more research and found following in this area.

1.http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-wantirna+south-115047763
2.http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-wantirna+south-115277471

Median property price: Buy $621,000 and Rent $420

If i put those calculation into above.

Buy Price $475,000
Plans and Permits ,subdivision, demolition: $ 35,000
Building costs (2x 4bed) $550,000

Total Costs $1,060,000

Estimated Sale cost House A . $ 620,000
Estimated sale Cost Unit B $ 620,000

Total end values: $1,240,000

Potential gross equity to be created:$180,000

Estimated rental returns:47,870

Gross yield on completion of development:6.7%

Again Interest ($4.2K Per Month) and depreciation didn't count? Both of us are paying 45K TAX ?

Need your advise?

MI

Hi Aaron,

I thought this project which will create a large amount of equity, high depreciation benefits and closer to 7% yield but this project will still probably be negatively geared on completion. Also think over 7% is considered to be a strong yield?

Again to make this yield over 7% ,need to keep site costs low and build just what the market needs i guess.

Thanks for your input looking for other views and missing points.

MI

The profit of $180k needs to be adjusted for holding costs and other incidentals. If you're only making a tiny profit like that it's just not worth it.

Hi All,

This (IP 2) property is costing me money (Out of Pocket). But 100K equity create during this time. ( 2010 To 2013)

If the subdivide and build project is not the option.

can cosmetic renovation make rentals high?

MI

Back