Struggle Street (SBS Doco on Mount Druitt)

Not too many people watch TV to see ordinary, every day people.
Yep; it seems as though (judging by the content on many stations on Foxtel) that everyone wants to watch "reality" and "lifestyle" shows full of southern red-neck trailer trash types who they must surely hand-pick to be the most freaky crazy looking folk around.

Or the complete reverse; super-slicked shows full of 10 out of 10 babes and dudes who are all-attitude, way cool for school 23 years old who are also uber-experts with 30 years experience in whatever field they are representing in the storyline.

As with Skater I watched it because of this thread (via SBS on demand)

Sensationalistic that's for sure, but looking beyond the foreground I saw some nice houses on occasion (especially with the overhead suburb shots).

I also queried old mate having a take away coffee at the start of the show and then again when getting service station foods when he and his offsider where picking up scrap metal for cash in order to buy food for the family. C'mon, we all know not to buy anything other than fuel at a servo and even Dazz has a 3kg tin of International Roast (link) ;)

A number of other things stood out and I'm sure there's more to the story such as giving his daughters boyfriend a 'toke' of a marijuana joint only to find out he's an undercover D. Both old mate and his wife then wind up in jail for that one...c'mon, give us a break, even old mate's son only got a $800 fine for ice, no fine, no good behaviour bond, no first offence for either old mate and his wife... they go straight to jail, there's gotta be more to the story

I watched it last night and thought it was good. I thought they presented the characters in a neutral light, any view that people are 'making fun' of people with disabilities etc is a reflection of the person with that view in my opinion.

This is just real life, and anyone that can't figure out this is a spotlight on the 'worst of the worst' and not a true representation of the average person would be pretty stupid.

Our society has real problems like this, and there are the genuine cases and the non-genuine cases - just like refugees as well). Our challenge is to sort out who is who and help the genuine cases.

As I don't get SBS via TV I watched it via the SBS App, and also saw a very good SBS talkback show which had a segment on it. I wish I could recommend it but I can't remember the name. In short, it took a dig right back at the major channels on their bitchy cooking and reno shows.

On the SBS App I also ended up watching S02E01 of 'Go back to where you came from'. That show is highly recommended!

I know that, but show a balance. Show the train wrecks, but then balance it out with the normal......or the abnormal, in the other direction. You know....someone who grew up in the area, maybe even from a 'train wreck' of a family, but is now wealthy & maybe even giving back to the area. There's a lot of money in the area as well as the welfare recipients, so let the public know the real story.

I understand your point, but the story isn't about the area, it's about these particular people. They would have been better off not telling the audience where the people were living - or made it more vague - because in the end it doesn't matter. The story in the end is about people struggling for whatever reason - family breakdown, mental illness, drug addiction etc - rather than where they live.

I understand your point, but the story isn't about the area, it's about these particular people. They would have been better off not telling the audience where the people were living - or made it more vague - because in the end it doesn't matter. The story in the end is about people struggling for whatever reason - family breakdown, mental illness, drug addiction etc - rather than where they live.
A bloke on the radio made a good point about this show and it's contents;

"At least make an attempt to live life in a decent normal fashion; clean up the bloody back yard at least" or words to that effect.

And he's right; this Country has flushed it's pride and dignity down the toilet.

Just because you are poor, or broke; is no reason or excuse to live like a pig dress like a pig and be like a pig.

Our culture of skanky bogans and dero's is a disgrace....car wrecks in yards, weeds, fallen down fences, graffiti all over every building, gutters full of coke cans and cigarette butts...and so on.

When I was a kid (in the 60's) folks took pride in their appearance, got dressed up for a trip to the City/shopping/pictures/anywhere that was outside their house, basically.

Gardens were trimmed, folks had manners and courtesy.

Pride and Dignity....

I watched it online, only because of this thread. Well, that was an hour that I will never get back.

Having spend several years living in this area, I can tell you now, that this is not a true representation of a cross sections of the residents. From what I recall, you had:

The single aboriginal male living in the bush with his dogs.

The young homeless girl, and the single mother.

And lastly the family.

I think the man living in the bush came out looking like a loser. He is not typical in the area.

The single mother & the young girl, well, it wasn't too bad. It showed that there is support available for people who need it, and I've never heard of the school that the young girl was going to, so after looking it up, that's a good thing too, as it is somewhere that those that don't 'fit' into a normal school can go & get a bit of an education, and do something with themselves if they are only willing to give it a go. I also know that one of the high schools used to have a daycare facility so that some of the single mothers could keep up their schooling.

And the family! OMG! A train wreck! This isn't typical either. It would have been more uplifting to show a more normal family, but of course, that isn't good entertainment. People want to see all of the drama etc, & then they think that this is how all families behave, which is most definitely NOT the case.

I think it would have been good to show a more normal family, working & not getting benefits. If they are low income earners, then it would have still fitted into their title of 'Struggle Street', but would have been more realistic of the area.

I'm happy for them to show the bad, but show the good too, because there are a lot of normal, good people in the area, just getting on with their lives, they are not druggies, or loonies, or criminals, just ordinary, everyday people.

Skater with all respect to you I have to disagree. Ok, the whole area isn't as it was portrayed on the show but you have to agree a large percentage of Mounty county and it's surrounding suburbs do have a lot of loser druggies, bogans and single mothers. Much more than other areas. You could only compare it to parts of Campbelltown. They are low socio economic areas. It's a fact.

Yes, I agree there are a lot of good working people even some successful people but please don't try and portray it just as any good ole suburb in Sydney. It's not and if you think it is you need to get out of the area more.

Agreed, I think there is more than one Struggle Street across the nation with residents facing such challenges; I didn't see it as focusing on the area though, more the issues faced by those doing it tough

There's wasn't much talk about facts and figures either for context i.e. how much benefits does someone with a disability receive to support 10 kids, any forms of assistance whether and they suffice, what support is available, how about the carers allowance. Rent was mentioned though from memory at $400 per week

Looks like those portrayed are now suing SBS?

I heard 10 kids & thought wtf???

We only got to see 3 of them, all adults but the party was a kids party.

Some great shots of Blood Alley (Dawson Mall) - at least they've made some use of it with the markets.

Skater with all respect to you I have to disagree. Ok, the whole area isn't as it was portrayed on the show but you have to agree a large percentage of Mounty county and it's surrounding suburbs do have a lot of loser druggies, bogans and single mothers. Much more than other areas. You could only compare it to parts of Campbelltown. They are low socio economic areas. It's a fact.

Yes, I agree there are a lot of good working people even some successful people but please don't try and portray it just as any good ole suburb in Sydney. It's not and if you think it is you need to get out of the area more.

I am rather offended by this comment. Firstly, I DON'T live there, so how dare you tell me to get out of the area more, and secondly, I can tell you that there are MUCH, MUCH WORSE places to live.

I have lived in the area. I know it's a low socio area, but that does not mean that those people portrayed on that show are typical of the area at all.

Yes, there are a lot of bogans & single mothers, but that does not make them druggies or losers. There are a lot of successful Bogans (Hey, Datto, we're talking about you:p), and not all single mothers are losers.

I know a lot of people from outside the area that would definitely fit the stereotypes, and a lot of people from inside the area that do not.

I'm sure there's more to the story such as giving his daughters boyfriend a 'toke' of a marijuana joint only to find out he's an undercover D. Both old mate and his wife then wind up in jail for that one...c'mon, give us a break, even old mate's son only got a $800 fine for ice, no fine, no good behaviour bond, no first offence for either old mate and his wife... they go straight to jail, there's gotta be more to the story

Yeah, I was scratching my head over that one.:confused:

See ya's.

In Sydney? Where?

I would take the worst parts of Campbelltown over Mount Druitt and surrounds. Although i reckon Claymore could give it a run :p

What really gets to me is that these above suburbs and druitt as well have a similar median price to where I stay ( very nice area inner bris) and also have as much if not more growth rates.
Just because they are in Sydney...
Oh well...I try to look on the bright side..good place in good locatio, eventually it will surpass the above suburbs.

even if it is, what is the pleasure in watching other peoples misery... is it a smugness to make ourselves feel better?

Tv is ****! I have heard about it, I think if there talking about struggle street, go to remote NT. There's plenty of them there.

even if it is, what is the pleasure in watching other peoples misery... is it a smugness to make ourselves feel better?
Correct.

If you want to watch lower-end socio-economic demographic drudgery, pain and suffering and misery and drama; ACA is on every night.

P.S. I didn't end up watching it. No time to spend on stuff which may be degrading and dishonouring people wherever they may come from....

Back