Struggling to find tenants in Perth

Reading articles like this has me feeling slightly uneasy http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-07-18/has-perth27s-rental-bubble-burst3f/4827906

I have recently bought my first IP in Hillarys, Perth. I knew winter isn't the best time to look for tenants in a coastal area so I reno'ed for three weeks and priced it below agents' estimates.

But my first two home opens were very, very quiet.

Is it bad everywhere? Am I doing something wrong? Could the self-managed landlord bit be putting people off?

- thanks for everyone's inputs. Link removed now.

Last edited:
Reading articles like this has me feeling slightly uneasy http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-07-18/has-perth27s-rental-bubble-burst3f/4827906

I have recently bought my first IP in Hillarys, Perth. I knew winter isn't the best time to look for tenants in a coastal area so I reno'ed for three weeks and priced it below agents' estimates.

Is it bad everywhere? Am I doing something wrong? Could the self-managed landlord bit be putting people off?

This is the listing: http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-hillarys-411059963

It's still an old house and needs new carpets, landscaping and a new aircon. But I thought that would be reflected in the price.

Thankful for any tips.

Just wondering if you have a nicer camera to take pictures on rather than the phone?

I find a lot of real estate adverts are now using pics from phones and they look a bit tacky and very low resolution.

Every time our property manager has put our places up for rent she organises a professional photo shoot to get nice pics. Helps get people to come to the house to start with.

Just a thought anyway.

The listing says "spacious" but the photos definitely make it look otherwise. Did you set the camera to a fishbowl effect when taking the photos (as the floor seems to be curved in some shots)? Taking photos of the corner of each room makes the place look small / cramped. Do you have a floor plan you can upload?

There are no photos of the outdoor area, so while pets will be considered there is no way to tell what sized pet the property would be suitable for (without visiting for inspection).

Are you only doing weekday early evening opens? Why not a Saturday?

Self managing doesn't turn tenants off imo but if I didn't know why, I'd be asking why an agency in Brisbane is managing a property in Perth? Sounds dodgy - I know it's not, that's it just so you could get it on re.com.au, but a tenant will not know this.

Your photos are bad. Everything looks distorted. You can work out the kitchen from the pic, the rest of the pics say nothing. From the bathroom pic all I can see is that your taps are from the 70's - I would assume the bathrooms is old and tired. Why no pic of the house from front or back?

If you're pitching at pet owners you haven't mentioned if it's fenced.

Thanks everyone.

I will add the fully fenced backyard.

The bedrooms are small. The master and lounge are fairly large. I'll get the floor plan from council soon I hope.

No pictures of front or rear of house would half the responces. I'd just move on to the next ad if i were looking to find a rental property.

bathroom pic is just a mirror and blue curtain..

In the past three weeks ive bought two poorly advertised cars off ebay, spent an hour washing them and then taken them to a nice location for photo's and re-advertised them with a detailed ad and bright clean and clear photo's.. made $1000 on one and $1300 on the other.

Better advertising will get a better result

slumpMUnk3y

Thanks, but I don't think it's the photos. Last home open I got plenty of "aspirational" renters, I.e. people who can't afford to rent in Hillarys but go to the home opens on a Saturday morning when the weather is nice, then daydream during brunch.

If the photos were that bad, I'd think these would be the first ones to give me a berth.

What I'll do is go to some of the other home opens and count the crowds. If its as quiet as at mine like the above article says - well I guess that's not good.

If I was looking for a rental in your area, I would not give your house a second look, guess why.... due to the poor quality of your photos and views not really showing anything.

You have had nearly every poster so far give thier advice, nearly all mention the photos and you think not. Gee

Take the advice on the photos. You must have pics of exterior, backyard and the bbq area. These are all selling points especially when you mention it in the add and advertise it as pets considered.

Cheers

Went to a home open (sale) on the weekend expecting a line out the door according to past reports in the media, but only four people showed up before I arrived. Maybe it was the property was slightly run down, overpriced, or the weather was kind of bad on Saturday, but I feel the overall market has slowed down a bit compared to earlier on in the year.

That said, you definitely need to update your photos. For a property in Hillaries, I would expect bright, beachy looking snaps of rooms. Your photos look a bit tired and worn down...

Thanks, but I don't think it's the photos. Last home open I got plenty of "aspirational" renters, I.e. people who can't afford to rent in Hillarys but go to the home opens on a Saturday morning when the weather is nice, then daydream during brunch.

If the photos were that bad, I'd think these would be the first ones to give me a berth.

What I'll do is go to some of the other home opens and count the crowds. If its as quiet as at mine like the above article says - well I guess that's not good.

How long ago was the other property rented?

The rental market has eased significantly, now at an average 3.2% vacancy, not the 1.9% last year at the peak.

Crap photos and just rocking up to take applications from dozens of prospective tenants doesn't cut it in today's rental market.

I feel the overall market has slowed down a bit compared to earlier on in the year.

can't say I agree with this - I ran a search on finding something under $1m anywhere from Fremantle to Leederville, after reviewing endless pages of under contract properties and then screening out 1 bed flats, I came to the conclusion that this segment of the market has pretty much gone now. there's the odd thing here and there but pretty poor value and not the choice you would have had 1 - 2 years ago

+1 redo photos, walls and floors look terrible curved! Also suggest adding bright fruit bowl / vase etc in kitchen and bathroom for colour, maybe bringing in a rug and some indoor palms in pots would also help. Also open the blinds before taking the pics to make it as bright as possible.

I would want to see pics of the front and back even if terrible. People would look on google map anyway and of course see it when they arrive for inspection! Perhaps try taking outside photos at different times of day and choose the best. You could also make some cheap improvements to improve first impressions such as large decorative pot at the front with flowering plants, new bright doormat, new house numbers and/or letterbox, trim gardens, park nice car in driveway, wet down the drive, paths garden etc before taking pics to make them more attractive and glossy, etc. There is also the old "location shot" pic trick that you could include.

This is the listing: http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-hillarys-411059963

It's still an old house and needs new carpets, landscaping and a new aircon. But I thought that would be reflected in the price.

Thankful for any tips.

How quiet is very quiet? Have you had any applicants?

I would definately take photos of the front and rear garden.

Add which schools it is in the catchment for as well.

The rental market is quieter than before but I would expect that if priced well that you get a good tenant.

Pop an ad on Gumtree to and contact anyone who has advertised a WANTED ad in the local area - see http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-property-for-rent/perth/c18364l3008303?ad=wanted

I had a look at the ad and those photos would put me off too. The site also came up with 3 Fenton Way at $500 a week. Enough clear photos to give a real impression. That's the one I would go to see first. Does the website limit the number of photos you can add?

How long ago was the other property rented?

The rental market has eased significantly, now at an average 3.2% vacancy, not the 1.9% last year at the peak.

Crap photos and just rocking up to take applications from dozens of prospective tenants doesn't cut it in today's rental market.

Not sure which other property you mean? It was this property.

I find it a bit insulting to make it sound like I expect to do nothing and just rock up. I've been working my &&& off for weeks.

First home open I had one application from a guy who wouldn't specify details of all adults who want to move in - thought it was better to give that a miss.

Second home open, on a Saturday, four groups of people through, one registered interest.

I'll redo photos but the forecast is two weeks of rain. No way they'll be beachy and sunny.

Back