student accommodation help (insurance and legality)

hi there.

thinking of turning a property i just bought in WA into a student/shared accommodation so most likely will be a room by room basis, currently have 4 rooms might convert the theater room to another bedroom so potentially 5 rooms in all to rent out.

been trying to find out a good company who will insure the bldg + shared room insurance(for rent default and damages) would anyone be able to point me to the right direction?

next question is are there special requisites to my plan to rent 5 rooms individually (special permits needed?)

I've seen on a thread before that above a certain number of unrelated people as tenants and you are classified as boarding house. I do want to avoid this scenario.

lastly, to those poeple what have actually converted to student/shared accomodation, can you please share what i need to watch out for or be aware of? i want to keep everything legal and i'm willing to pay a bit more on expenses to prevent a worst case scenario from happening

In WA theres currently no boarding specific legislation - but I believe its the health Act that says no more than 6 unrelated people living in a house.

The main issue with renting a house out room by room is that there law strongly suggests that each separate room is a "tenancy" and covered under the Residential Tenancies Act.

happy to report that i have found a broker who has found a company willing to insure the whole property with room per room lease.

now just need to find out more about regulations.

@thatbum can you please show/point me to the Health Act you were referring to?

do you have to apply somewhere to be a student accommodation or is it just a term freely given to a property rented to students.

Back