Student/Group Housing (Perth)

My previous post was deleted for soliciting funds, I didn't think I did as I was primarily looking for peoples experience with this type of investment. So I'll try again.

Have you invested in the type of property suitable for students that is usually let on a room by room shared basis? I am interested in experiences with property management issues and leases. I have seen investment in student housing promoted as being a good place to look in this market. Would you agree?

Have you ever invested in WA state government joint initiatives? How did you find the process and do you have any tips to share?

Again, I am not soliciting for investors - as I said before there are already state funds and industry grants available and I am perfectly capable of looking for additional private investors when I have done sufficient research. Since my additional information about why I am looking at this seems to have been taken the wrong way I will leave that out but I am happy to provide more information about the program.

Thank you.
Carol

I am interested in experiences with property management issues and leases. I have seen investment in student housing promoted as being a good place to look in this market. Would you agree?

I personally prefer to stay away from leasing my properties to students. What with deportations by immigration, others evicted, property not kept to a satisfactory level, pets illegally kept on premises & soiling inside - never again. The place was a mess plus they left a lot of property behind that needed disposing of only after all the legal requirements and times had been met.

All I can say is thank god for land lord insurance.

If the govt is using incentives to entice private investors into catering for this market it just goes to show that Im not alone with similar type issues.

Last edited:
Surely if you/your property manager vets your potential student tenants thoroughly this would be kept to a minimum? International students are also more likely to leave unneeded belongings behind when they return home, but if you partially or fully furnish the property I imagine that would minimise the things that are left.

Can you ask for a higher bond to cover this sort of thing? Is landlord insurance higher for student accommodation? I would imagine you'd have to claim more often on it.

Surely if you/your property manager vets your potential student tenants thoroughly this would be kept to a minimum? International students are also more likely to leave unneeded belongings behind when they return home, but if you partially or fully furnish the property I imagine that would minimise the things that are left.

Can you ask for a higher bond to cover this sort of thing? Is landlord insurance higher for student accommodation? I would imagine you'd have to claim more often on it.

These are the type of issues I am looking at. The students involved would not be International, they would be from disadvantaged backgrounds or outback areas needing to be temporarily close to tertiary institutions.

Besides landlord insurance and extra bond what could make this type of housing attractive to an investor? Above market rent? Hands on management/resident manager? Refurbishment guarantee?

The buildings would need to be either large family homes that are renovated to suit or purpose built with group housing in mind. Could resale be a difficulty or could this type of housing close to Universities be increasingly sought after?

Thanks for the comments so far.

Carol

Back