stylist

Anyone know of a good stylist in Sydney? I have just about given up buying clothes myself - I've got no idea how to put outfits together and I'm sick of loking like a dag! Anyone had experience with a stylist? Is it worth the money??

a couple of great books to read, that i found helped me find my personal style were:

two lipsticks and a lover - bring out your inner french woman
dress like a star

i also had my "colours" done to find out what tonal range of colours suit me best. i can't recommend this highly enough as it really removes another level of "does this suit me" and you can immediately eliminate certain clothes from your radar the moment you walk i the store. you should be able to find a consultant in sydney for this under "colour me beautiful" on the web.

it took me until my late 30's to really work out my own personal style. only problem is that it's not busty, leggy 16yr old so i find it hard to find clothes for my style - so when i do i grab them without a second thought.

Hi,

I've sent you a PM with a contact of someone I met at a party a few weeks ago. Her business name is "style with grace". I never used her myself, but some of my other friends at the party had done, and found it really useful.

I found watching Trinny and Susannah on "what not to wear" really helpful in working out what would and wouldn't look good on me. They are so brutally honest, but in a really helpful, non judgemental way, and provide some fairly clear guidelines of what shapes and colours will work. They also work through alot of the emotional issues which stop us from finding clothes which make us look good, which is always fascinating. Often when you start seeing what works on other people, it makes it easier to work out what would work for you.

Good Luck!!

Pen

it took me until my late 30's to really work out my own personal style. only problem is that it's not busty, leggy 16yr old so i find it hard to find clothes for my style - so when i do i grab them without a second thought.

Once I find something that fits well, I usually grab a couple of the same style, in different colours.... I hate shopping!

Pen

Anyone know of a good stylist in Sydney? I have just about given up buying clothes myself - I've got no idea how to put outfits together and I'm sick of loking like a dag! Anyone had experience with a stylist? Is it worth the money??

Happy

I am pleased there is someone else out there that has the same problem as me, here is my solution I have been the same height/weight etc for 15 years. I went to get a tailored suit many years ago which involved me getting myself professional measured. I and more importantly the Wifeee knows all these measurements she does ALL my clothes shopping when I send her to get my business shirts and ties I have a simple measage choose one or two that you like and then look at the manicans, most reaputable companies have professional stylists fit these manicans and buy whats on these, she knows all my sizes so everything always fits.

Cons
Nothing

Pro's
-Don't have to make decisions on clothes
- Don't have to go anywhere near large shopping centres
- Don't have to waste my valuable time when wifee has the ability and likes to do it
- There is too many in this part to list them all

Jezza

Was talking to someone online with exactly this issue - but they also had to fit in with a work dress code. They were too shy to see anyone, even a friend with style to take them shopping and give them an honest opinion.

I have huge trouble finding clothes that fit well as my boobs are too big for small clothes. Manufacturers (including underwear ones) assume that smaller sizes are pretty much flat-chested or at worst a C cup. I've ended up with a wardrobe of high-stretch stuff that is a size 'too big' so it fits my bust but doesn't flap around the waist and make me look fat. Empire line works pretty well too but only if there's enough space above the 'waist', which often there isn't. Just as well I don't work in an office where I'd have to wear fitted clothes.

At the moment I'm having issues with maternity clothes for the same reason - they cater for the bump but not boobs :confused: Fortunately a new shop has opened in Adelaide that has *gasp* ONE style of underwear in my size for a mere $100+ so I'm going to have to visit there one day. Much the same price as buying online but at least there's the option to try them on first.

Screw stylists, I'm saving up for surgery to be rid of the damn things so I can buy clothes without cursing so much that all the pretty stuff simply doesn't fit.

Oh and never underestimate how much better you look with the right fitting underwear :)

I have huge trouble finding clothes that fit well as my boobs are too big for small clothes. Manufacturers (including underwear ones) assume that smaller sizes are pretty much flat-chested or at worst a C cup.

Oh and never underestimate how much better you look with the right fitting underwear :)

I have the opposite problem with larger sized clothes... they must flip from a B cup to a G cup at size 18!!
I would consider myself very well endowed, and I wonder who actually fits into the clothes that I try on....the bust area is often enormous.
I agree with you about well fitting underwear... control underwear is essential!!
I've spent some time reflecting lately about all the things we used to tease my mother about, which I now do...... girdles, hair rollers etc. Hopefully I will stop copying her before I go as far as getting a wig though!!

Pen

haha - the poor stylists trying to fit everyone as never ever does "one size fit all". i don't know a single woman who is a straight size (ie, 12 at the top, middle and bottom).

i go - in descending order - 10, 8, 12 (or some days it's 12, 10, 14) and have heavy legs so you will very very very rarely see me in any sort of trousers. but makes it near impossible to find anything that doesn't gap horribly at the waist or scrunch up.

i love the empire line dresses that were out this summer so bought up large ... they just hang from a high fitted waist and hide a myriad of sins.

hey - at least the body shape means i'm unlikely to get any of those nasty "apple" diseases!

i don't know a single woman who is a straight size (ie, 12 at the top, middle and bottom).

I can't even work out what size I am in any area, they vary so much! Some stores it's an 8, some it's a 10 or on the odd occassion a 12. Even varies from garment to garment in a store. Drives me nuts having to take in multiple sizes, never knowing which one I am. No wonder girls have body issues, some of the sizes in Valley Girl and Supre are ridiculous. I don't mind choosing clothes, I often get compliments on my clothes (even though I shop on a budget as I don't believe in paying designer prices), but what I HATE HATE HATE is shoes! I can't choose shoes for the life of me, so always keep them simple. Really don't understand the whole shoe obession thing. :confused:

Jezza - your advice is good for a guy or for someone shaped just likke the manaquins, but for 99% of us women (or are all shaped very differently) it just doesn't cut it.

So many people dress in the wrong clothes for their shape / size, or the wrong colour for their complexions. Sometimes I think they just have now idea how bad they look, and just need to be educated. But I also know from experience how hard it can be to find something flattering when everything in fashion only looks good on a different figure - but you still need to buy clothes right now - because nothing at home fits (are the joys of having a baby or three.

I have never used a stylist myself (never had too, plus I have a sister with a degree in fashion to help if I need it ;) ), but I have a lot of clients who have treated themselves to one, and something I recommend to all my members as a reward to themselves once they have lost weight. It cost about $1500 for one of my clients here in Canberra, they went through everything from shoes, clothes, acessories to make-up. She had a ball, and looked fabulous afterwards. Not sure if that is the going rate or not.

One thing to be careful of is to ask them to show you examples of their work. (some people really aren't very good stylists).

, but what I HATE HATE HATE is shoes! I can't choose shoes for the life of me, so always keep them simple. Really don't understand the whole shoe obession thing. :confused:

Me too..... Shoes should be easy for me, but I have flat feet..... not just slightly flat, but absolutely no arch at all. I just find it so difficult to find comfortable and stylish shoes. I've now had to buy at Kumfs to find something wearable.... ouch, the pain from discomfort is replaced by pain at the checkout. I dont think I saw any options under $200!

Pen

Isn't that an L.A name for a hairdresser who gets to charge $400 for a hair cut? :D

Seriously; just look in the latest girl mags to see what's hot and what's not.

...but what I HATE HATE HATE is shoes! I can't choose shoes for the life of me, so always keep them simple. Really don't understand the whole shoe obession thing. :confused:

OMG I LOVE shoes!!! I don't understand it either but it's like an addiction - if I see a pair of shoes I like I have to have them!
What I don't understand is handbags - I only ever have one that I use with every outfit. I can't see the need for a different handbag for every outfit.

Isn't that an L.A name for a hairdresser who gets to charge $400 for a hair cut? :D

No that's a hairstylist

Seriously; just look in the latest girl mags to see what's hot and what's not.

Bayview
The latest girl mag, is for teenagers and girls in their twenties IMHO, what mags have you been reading to know what's and what's not?

Cheers
Sheryn

Really don't understand the whole shoe obession thing. :confused:

i don't get the shoe thing either ... asides from my joggers and my excrutiating high highs that i might wear once every two years, i usually only have one pair of shoes for each season - some nice sandals for summer that go with everything, and a pair of black boots for winter.

i also don't own a handbag. i have a small leather black backpack for when i need to take excess - otherwise i just carry my wallet and keys in my hand.

now winter coats ... i love coats ...

** bayview - that is such a "boy" comment. style nothing to do with what is in fashion, but everything to do with bodyshape. that's why i dislike "fashion" as when something is "in" that looks hideous on your body shape, it's all you can find in the shops - like those long granny cardigans that have been all the rage for the last few year - great on a leggy, buxom 16yr old or a granny - but revolting on everyone else.

Last edited:
I like boots. The other half has heaps of them, I only have a couple, mainly because the ones I like cost a lot. I'm saving up for some Demona boots and a matching military jacket :D

I just bought myself a really cool brown knee-length leather-look jacket off eBay and I can't get it shut lol .. damn bump! Oh well, 10 weeks to go and I get to go back on the massive-boobs-but-shrinking-everything-else fun wheel again.

Jezza most women have no idea about how to dress men. Be a man and buy your own clothes. Do your research online regarding fit and styles. Do you really expect your wife to buy your clothing for the rest of your life?

Stylist in Adelaide?

Hi all,

Just split from partner and feeling pretty down on myself. One of my friends suggested seeing a stylist to boost my confidence but hadn't used one before so she couldn't recommend anyone.

I've done a bit of google research but would prefer to use someone that has come with a recommendation.

Has anyone here been to one in Adelaide? What was your experience like? Worth the $$?

I would be willing to travel interstate if the recommendation is high enough.

Thanks guys

Back