sub $100k VIC beachside homes article

http://www.news.com.au/money/proper...r-less-than-100k/story-e6frfmd0-1226239024939

BUYING a slice of Victoria's coastline may have been written off by many as an impossible dream, but buyers willing to cut down on comforts can still tease out a beachside getaway for less than $100,000.

The state's coastal market has generally held firmer than Melbourne over the past year, with a breakdown of beachside postcodes by property research firm RP Data showing the median house price rose 4.4 per cent in the year to August.

But stock levels remain high in many popular holiday spots, putting savvy buyers in the driver's seat.

Coastal getaways such as Seaspray, on Gippsland's Ninety Mile Beach, and Lakes Entrance are both offering holiday homes for under six figures.

Seaspray resident Barry Bleydell reckons that with a little time and effort, his beach shack at 19 Main Rd would make the perfect family getaway.

Mr Bleydell paid $135,000 for the two-bedroom house but is keen to wrap up a quick sale and has dropped the price to $99,500.

"It needs a bit of work but it is on a big block, a five-minute walk to the beach and could be made quite liveable," he said.

"I can't go any lower on price - it's a good buy at that."

Despite a median price closing in on $300,000, Lakes Entrance also still manages to throw up rock-bottom prices for holiday homes.

A two-bedroom unit in the town's Koonawarra Beach Resort is the cheapest property on the market with a price tag of $99,000.

Entry-level three-bedroom homes generally start about $165,000, while $190,000 will get you a tidy summer retreat within walking distance of the jetty.

The town's median house price rose 2.3 per cent in the year to August.

"We don't seem to get the big fluctuations in the market that larger areas get," First National Real Estate King & Heath agent Philip Dunn said.

Loch Sport, between the Gippsland Lakes and Ninety Mile Beach, is another traditional holiday destination heavy with long-term listings.

Prices have flattened over the past year and there is plenty on offer under the town's $165,000 median.

"It a good time for buyers," Surf Edge Real Estate director Adriana Bertolacci said.

"There is a lot of stock on the market and we have motivated vendors."

At the other end of the state, on the border with South Australia, prices at Nelson also have stalled.

Holiday shacks can be picked up for little more than $150,000, while three-bedroom properties generally start about $240,000.

A three-bedroom, two-bathroom home at 19 Sturt St with views over the Glenelg River is on the market for $265,000, after originally being listed for more than $300,000.

"The market is not what it was," Herbert Real Estate agent Greg Eddy said. "Sales are happening but demand is not where it was a couple of years ago."

=======================
might be a good long term investment if you can find a tenant,

or a way to be able to boast to friends/relatives about owning that "beachside" property

Mr Bleydell paid $135,000 for the two-bedroom house but is keen to wrap up a quick sale and has dropped the price to $99,500.

=======================
might be a good long term investment if you can find a tenant,

or a way to be able to boast to friends/relatives about owning that "beachside" property

That is a $35k loss :eek:, quite an expensive boast.

http://www.news.com.au/money/proper...r-less-than-100k/story-e6frfmd0-1226239024939

"Loch Sport, between the Gippsland Lakes and Ninety Mile Beach, is another traditional holiday destination heavy with long-term listings."

Beware of flood prone areas within the gippsland areas - particularly Loch Sport - I wish no repercussions for this warning - just to advise that it's always a case of buyer beware throughout gippsland but with regards to my own experiences, in particular loch Sport. Beautiful place with pockets that are 'safe', just do your DD.

I posted this article on another forum and here are some of the replies:

I live not far from this area. All is not as it seems people. It is in the path of tidal surges with global warming and all you cannot modify any property or build on vacant land (even a shed or shack) and there is a long list of other things the local council won't give permits for. The property here is dirt cheap!!!! Unfortunatly you carn't do anything with it, that is why every one wants out now. Every second home is for sale.

The property they are mentioning for $99k at Lakes Entrance is to me hugely overpriced for a small square of land (think a bit bigger than a caravan site) inside a caravan park with a shack built on it. It isnt on a house block per se and as **** mentions it is less than 1 metre above sea levels and has many restrictions over what you can use the land for as the council has now put severe restrictions over building on low lying land

My brother bought 100 acres at Golden Beach (near Loch Sport) and wanted to turn it into a camping ground but the council won't let him. He is now stuck with the land, even after he got all sorts of different plans drawn up. The place could really do with a camping ground so it is a real shame.

So, once again a bit of a media furphy to make the ppl feel good that they might be able to afford a house after all.

"Loch Sport, between the Gippsland Lakes and Ninety Mile Beach, is another traditional holiday destination heavy with long-term listings."

Beware of flood prone areas within the gippsland areas - particularly Loch Sport - I wish no repercussions for this warning - just to advise that it's always a case of buyer beware throughout gippsland but with regards to my own experiences, in particular loch Sport. Beautiful place with pockets that are 'safe', just do your DD.

Loch Sport - I'd be more worried about the mosquitos.

Lakes Entrance - $100,000 for a cabin in a caravan park! I'd gather that there would be an annual fee as well.

Seaspray - Some people love this place but IMO not very appealing. Set on 90 miles (150 Km) of sand (no headlands), a creek (no harbour) and 1 shop (no pub). People holiday here because it is cheap. You might rent out your holiday house for a couple of months a year. You'd have to pay someone to mow the lawns for you. Personally I can't see much upside here.

Back