Sub dividing - Neighbor creating problem

Under the Building Act, the builder has a right to access adjoining properties if necessary to conduct work. What you need to do is send them a dated letter asking permission to access the land - if the neighbor does not reply, then you have automatic and unfettered access to their property by law. If the neighbor replies and says no, then you still have the right to access the property, but need to get the building board involved for specifics (I forget what they are).

Either way you must of course return your neighbors yard to original condition.

If it were me, I'd send the letter as certified mail and raid their letterbox. Then when they complain you show them the building act, the letter, and move the scaffolding in :D

1 of the two houses is bricked. The bricky has done a neat job, however, the bricks are bowed. Some are bowed more than 1 mm and the wall looks wavey..

Sounds like the bricks have been put into the kiln a fraction early. Its not going to create any structural issues just makes it a bit harder for the bricky to lay vertical.

Just look at it as having a unique brick style.

I don't think that is true. My council in SA sends out letter to all the neigbours even when I was installing a carport on my property.

Regards
Sanjay

My council sent me a letter when my neighbor 4 doors away was building a shed in his backyard. Why would I care if someone is building a shed in his backyard especially when he lives in the other side of the road :)

My council sent me a letter when my neighbor 4 doors away was building a shed in his backyard. Why would I care if someone is building a shed in his backyard especially when he lives in the other side of the road :)
Who said that it is about you caring or not? Without all of this red tape, many jobs in council would be lost, as would much of their power. What would these people do if regular people didn't have to pay thousands of dollars in application fees and pull their hair out waiting for some beaurocrat to decide their fate?

Who said that it is about you caring or not? Without all of this red tape, many jobs in council would be lost, as would much of their power. What would these people do if regular people didn't have to pay thousands of dollars in application fees and pull their hair out waiting for some beaurocrat to decide their fate?

Yep!!!

Just like the food metaphor, being overfed and under-nourished, we have tooooo much government in this country and are rendered over-governed and under-managed. :(

we did a complying development in NSW, and neighbours were not informed
(my family owned the neighbouring properties, so I'm pretty confident about that!)

You have to inform neighbours within 20m prior to works starting with complying development.

But you don't have to tell them you have applied for a CDC

You have to inform neighbours within 20m prior to works starting with complying development.

But you don't have to tell them you have applied for a CDC

There was no such requirement from the council for us... and we are the neighbours, so we would have heard!!

We simply submitted our plans/ application (using a draughtsman for drawing up the plans), had them knocked back initially on bush fire safety, and then they were accepted, once we had the fire safety issues dealt with.

There were no additional building envelop.. only knocking down doors/ windows/ walls etc. I dont know if that made a difference.

But no mention anywhere in the paperwork, either at application or approval of neighbours.

Good one LoL:D

Back