Sub-division Dilemma

Hi all

Looking for some opinions in a design choice for my duplex block (Perth metro).... The plan is to build and sell (hopefully!) then build again.

The project:
825m2 block
26m frontage / 8m rear fence (Taper on one boundary)
Build required: 2 x 3 bath, 2 bath + study single story of approx 225m2 (House and garage - not including porch/alfresco) - subject to additional 5% plot area granted by Council.

I have a side by side plan and a battleaxe concept drawing (see attached) - both of these are preliminary and need some work (eg room sizes to be increased where possible).

As with most side by side designs with small frontages this design has a long hallway - but the taper down one side provides some more design challenges.
Pros: Street Frontage,
Cons: long building - which they tell me is less energy efficient, more perimeter (potentially more costly), a bit "rabbit warren-ish",

The battleaxe provides for a more stock standard front house, but the rear design has a triangle like shape.
Pros: the drafty thinks the battleaxe design "works" better, possibly cheaper construction.
Cons: rear house possibly devalued due to rear position.

Any thoughts (about the design :)) will be most appreciated.

Cheers

K

Attachments

• Battleaxe_design.pdf
    326.1 KB · Views: 151
  • Side_by_Side.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 129
Based on the you have shared, the best design doesn't really have much to do with the best 'working' or 'efficient' but more so do with what will sell best. Most cases you will find that to be a side by side over a battle axe IMO

What area is this and price point for the end product?

At first glance I definitely prefer the battle axe plan but either way you need tweaks. I suspect the battle ace product will be more profitable in this instance but that's with me guessing

I also prefer the side-by-side & would not personally want to live in a rear battle-axe property & figure it may reduce your pool of potential tenants/buyers.

Depending on the area etc. will you achieve better result, quicker turnover by selling the land, is there greater demand for this in the area?

MTR

I also prefer the side-by-side & would not personally want to live in a rear battle-axe property & figure it may reduce your pool of potential tenants/buyers.

In perth battle axe subdivisions are pretty common. There are some people who don't like them but it does appear to be a bigger problem for people from offer east.

In this case the side by side plans might end up being a bit awkward and the one on rhs a bit dark. Add that to the higher constriction cost and you'll find it may end up being less profitable

Back