Sub-Division Help

Good lord that was a long wait.

Doing a 1 into 2 subdivision myself, got quoted $12,000 for all the utilities, fees, surveyor, titles lodgement blah blah blah. To that I need to add a boundary fence (nfc), moving a septic tank ($1000ish) and moving an electricity connection (also nfc). Expensive stuff.

After a long one year of waiting...finally received planning permit today.
Very happy with the outcome.
Now in the process of getting Building Permits.
Thought i will post it here.

fantastic, did you have any objections? have to do any changes or hassles along the way?

Yup...had two objections...
Made lot of changes...hence took so long..but glad we didn't have to go to VCAT.
Happy with the outcome...3 dwellings on 640m2 land.

very good. I'm going through this currently and hope to have the same outcome, so what's your next step? will you be managing the building works?

very good. I'm going through this currently and hope to have the same outcome, so what's your next step? will you be managing the building works?

Thats is correct. Will be managing the building works myself as already built a house before 2 years ago..:)
In the process of getting Building permits and in search of a Builder.

Re
Would someone claify for me the following roles and how they fit in with each other:

Architect
Planner (council)
Planner (private)
Surveyor
Building designer
Builder.

For instance I know an architect will draw up designs and a builder will build it. But a spec builder has his own plans so do you need an architect for anything?

Do people use architects mainly on odd shaped / sloping blocks or are they worth the cost for standard flat blocks?

Architect
Can draw only the plans but often like to manage the whole project engage builder etc. charge a percentage of cost for this. Architects can be very useful as far as orientation, layout etc goes, however the cost can be hard to recoup for houses that aren't in really great areas. Shortage are the moment too so lots of firms perfer to do big stuff, complexes etc.

Planner Council
This is the person who controls the approval of your project if you require planning approval rather than just building approval (usually for subdivisions or charcther houses, units material change of use etc.) They also coordinate engineering approvals etc.

Planner Private
This is what my better half does. Amount they do depends on clients. She primarily prepares Planning reports. This means that she writes a report to show how the development meets the requirements, photos of like properties argues for relaxations where neccessary etc. This is the cheapest way to do it, as in the TP prepares the report and you lodge it , along with your plans with the council and handle all correspondence etc. The report as a stand alone document my wifes charges would average $600-$1000 depending on number of codes needing addressing whether it meets all the requirments or your case needs to be argued. If you wanted the TP to handle any phonecalls, mail etc. you get charged a fair bit more (often on an hourly rate) as the TP if lodging will be the first point of contact for questions about the plans etc.

Surveyor
Many surveyors will also complete the town planning report but primarily they will pegout the boundaries and then a couple of corners of the building so that the builder puts the house in the right spot (not so important on acerage but very important if you are doing a built to the boundary wall)

Building designer
Designs the building as in draws the plans. In my experience many are not very familiar with the town planning requirements so may need some guidance unless your hous is a straight forward res a type zoning (and therefore probably doesn't require town planning anyway)

Builder
The builder can just build the house or can actually organise the whole thing including approvals etc. obviously this goes from cheapest option to dearest.

Should also include 2 more

Engineer
Will do the structural design from the building designer's/ architects plan, this is footings member sizes etc.

Private Certifier
This person will approve the building construction after you have town planning permission. It is their job to make sure that your building meets the the building code and that you have all neccessary approvals prior to construction starting

Overall if you are prepared to do the leg work you are much better off because if you have someone do all the running around for you you are probably going to be paying them $100 plus an hour. There is not a great deal of skill in this running around though if you don't know the professionals then it could be costly in delays if they are slow. Basic flow chart I would follow is:

1.Visit Council to see if town planning consent required any special requirements etc. (can also go straight to town planner but many will charge, my better half doesn't charge but check first)

2.If so go see town planner who can give you some guidelines for building designer (eg. 25m limit in length for small lot house in Bris city council)

3.Go to building Designer, start lining up builders if not already

4. Take completed plans to Town planner who will complete report

5. Submit plans and report to council

6.When approved give Engineer go ahead

7. Take approval, pland and engineering design to Certifier, get surveyor to boundary peg and corner markers

8. Builder can start once certifier approves plans and land is pegged

This is great info, I wish I came across this earlier. I am in the development of 3 double storey town houses on a 750sqm land. I had an architect to do the town planning which is now completed. Next stage is building permit.

I am also thinking on subdivision but I am not sure on the pros/cons on subdividing before or after building. I made some inquiries, the surveyor told me ~5-6000 plus extra unknown cost (several Ks) to council e.g. water, electricity, sewerage and open space contribution, some 173 agreement with the council and refundable deposit (5K/lot), which all add up to quite a bit.

Would it be better to proceed with building with a design to support subdivision in the future i.e. separate gas, electricity and water meters and appropriate sewerage and subdivide later on as 173 agreement and deposits may not be required? Or should I start the subdivision before or in parallel with the building permit/construction? :confused:

Thats is correct. Will be managing the building works myself as already built a house before 2 years ago..:)
In the process of getting Building permits and in search of a Builder.

congrats...do post the process of getting a building permit..'cos i'm new to this as well......

Would it be better to proceed with building with a design to support subdivision in the future i.e. separate gas, electricity and water meters and appropriate sewerage and subdivide later on as 173 agreement and deposits may not be required? Or should I start the subdivision before or in parallel with the building permit/construction? :confused:

Ditto - or specifically, is it possible to go asking for a building DA when you've only got the subdivision approved but not done yet?

I need to move electricity and sewer connections and it would be easier to get both done at the same time when a new house is built rather than one by one.

Back