Sub division in Brisbane

Hi,

Anyone had experience splitting blocks in Brissie? What are the costs involved, and what sort of timeframe does it take to complete, assuming no structures on site?

TIA....

Hi FHB
have done quite a few and also wife does DA's planning reports etc. for this sort of stuff. If you are not trying to push any boundaries and meet all the acceptable

Have a look at www.pdonline.brisbane.qld.gov.au got to the plaaning document then Ch. 5 Codes. Have a look at Subdivision Code. Residential Design Character Code (if in characther area or demolition control precinct), Residential Design House Code & Residential Design Small Lot Code.

Costs can vary greatly between different professionals. Below is what my better half charges.
Planning Report- Up to 3 lots $990
Site Plans $500 for first plus $250 for each additional Lot

Then Surveyor can be anything from $500- $2000 for a 1 into 2 split depending on how close reference markers are etc.

Then you have to have water and sewerage connections

Council Fees
DA fee $1539 per lot if code assesable or $2278 per lot impact assessable

You will also have various compliance, inspection and plan sealing fees depending on what you need to do to the lot. Could be $1000-$5000 for 2 lots.

Infrastructure Fees
These can be substantial as in tens of thousands of dollars per lot and depend on the suburb you are in

Hope this Helps

RPI

Hi FHB
have done quite a few and also wife does DA's planning reports etc. for this sort of stuff. If you are not trying to push any boundaries and meet all the acceptable

Thanks RPI, it looks like this place is actually already on separate lots, 3 x 440sqm lots on one title. So I would just have to get the title changed for the lot I want to sell off?

Hi FHB
That is brilliant then. A simple form at the Lands office and a couple of hundred bucks and your 3 lots are back on seperate titles.

Hi RPI, and anyone else that can help

I have a residential A, 1880sqmtr block in morayfield. The shire planning zone says that this is inconsistent -code assessable for multiple dwellings.

Is this seperate to purely subdividing the block into 3 titles and building a duplex or house on each one?

Im a bit confused as to what inconsistent - code assessable means, and, whether the "multiple dwellings" are on one title, or is it a term which means subdividing.

Cheers,

Stu

As far as i understand it (don't quote me here), it means that you can apply to council to get your property reassessed, due to properties around it (or a future plan for a suburb) being different zoning. My house falls under the same category too, and when i got an advice from builders on my options they said i could only build a duplex (my property is more than 2 times smaller than yours).

thankyou strannik, on further investigate about subdividing I can't do it yet, as my council has not allowed battle axe blocks. To be able to subdivide each lot has to have 20sqmtrs of road front ! which will never happen, unless i buy next door which is a corner block.

but it still brings me back to the multiple dwelling being code assessable. so will have to double check that

there is a lot more to it, but very simply...

it means that if you were to apply to put townhouses or units on the block it does not automatically meet the zoning of the area and will be assessed against the zoning codes for suitability.

it is just a guide for what you can and can't do...and a warning that if you went down that particular road, it will be looked at very hard that's all

there is a lot more to it, but very simply...

it means that if you were to apply to put townhouses or units on the block it does not automatically meet the zoning of the area and will be assessed against the zoning codes for suitability.

it is just a guide for what you can and can't do...and a warning that if you went down that particular road, it will be looked at very hard that's all

thanks UC! always very helpful

Can anyone see on pdonline where to find the regulations for minimum subdivided lot size, minimum frontage, etc

thanks

Hi FHB

Have a look at www.pdonline.brisbane.qld.gov.au got to the plaaning document then Ch. 5 Codes. Have a look at Subdivision Code. Residential Design Character Code (if in characther area or demolition control precinct), Residential Design House Code & Residential Design Small Lot Code.

RPI

Hi,

Anyone had experience splitting blocks in Brissie? What are the costs involved, and what sort of timeframe does it take to complete, assuming no structures on site?

TIA....

I realise that you want info on Brisbane, but this close-ish and may help .....

We currently have an application in with council for dual occupancy on a property of ours in Redbank Plains (Ipswich Council). We wanted to sub-divide, but Ipswich council wouldn't allow it even though it is a 800m2 corner house block (they want 450m2 per site), but they don't have a problem with dual occupancy. Still two properties on the same block (go figure).

Anyway ... costs, .... These figures include a town planning consultant handling everything for us .... Dual occupany application through to approval including council fees, council holding costs, survey work and town planning consultant fee is costing approx $20k, ...... If we wanted to apply for sub-division (if we could that), .. it would cost up to $50k. When told these figures it literally took my breath away.

The major chunk of those costs are council fee and infrastructure holding costs. With our dual occupancy application .... the town planning consultant/surveyor is between $6,000 - $7,000 .... the balance (approx $13,000) is council fee's/costs. Sub-division from memory .... Council fee's/holding costs etc, came to approx $37,000+ .... town planning consultant was approx $10k-$12,000.

We figured by doing dual occupancy, both houses remain on one land title, but we can strata title them. This option saves us thousands in costs, but still allows us the flexibility for selling if the need arises in the future.

We thought about handling the application process ourselves, but one phone call to the council town planner confirmed I was out of my depth. Plus we live interstate, so it is easier to get an expert to handle it for us.

I hope this helps in some way.

Martin

Last edited:
"We wanted to sub-divide, but Ipswich council wouldn't allow it even though it is a 800m2 corner house block (they want 450m2 per site), but they don't have a problem with dual occupancy. "

HI All,

I got 789SqM Land and trying to sub divide . This Land is in Zone 3 in Knox City council in Victoria.

When i take the plans they asking to keep more open space around the house and the house space is now only good for 2 bed room home?

So is there any better way of building that house without sub divide? ( i mean bigger)

My sister is doing a sub division in Brisbane southside at the moment - Cornubia. She says all up it looks like around $60,000.

Back