Sub leasing inner city apartment to other people ?

I did this in inner sydney (ultimo, pyrmont) for about three years, although I rented large top floor units with 3 bed rooms and rented the rooms out for $440 each to couples. My wife and I payed around $60 rent in total for years.

I did get lucky with cheap rents though.

Then the rents increased too much when the landlords realised how much they could get.

It ended up being too hard so I just rented a small place. It's not worth it anymore, too much of a headache.

How did you report the income in your tax return?

I did this in inner sydney (ultimo, pyrmont) for about three years, although I rented large top floor units with 3 bed rooms and rented the rooms out for $440 each to couples. My wife and I payed around $60 rent in total for years.

I did get lucky with cheap rents though.

Then the rents increased too much when the landlords realised how much they could get.

It ended up being too hard so I just rented a small place. It's not worth it anymore, too much of a headache.

A couple per room, well that's ok and the apartment is designed to hold that. This is the difference between sharing accomodation and what JohnHenry wants to do which is rent out all the rooms, have a lease agreement with all those people (lodged with bonds and everything it seems) and have 8 people in a 2 bedroom apartment with himself sleeping on a sofa bed in the lounge.

Do you think this would be income? Serious question.

If it could be income then what about the expense of what you pay in rent.

You took (say) a two BR unit for $600 pw with a limit of two persons on the lease but managed through unapproved sub-letting to earn enough to reduce your outgoings to $60 pw. Or you earned $$ beyond the rent. You don't think the ATO could rule you were involved in the business of running a boarding house yourself? Is your advice that ATO couldn't say, "Where is my share of the profit?"

I am a layman. But a tenant subletting and making a profit beyond what the fair and reasonable break-up of rent for the approved rooms and number of persons is conducting a business. An unapproved and probably illegal business, but ATO still expects to get paid.

The test case is easily triggered when an aggrieved sub-tenant or owner rings ATO to complain.

Added
The other issue is that the owner's insurance is likely voided by the number of persons exceeding the number approved on the lease. Many insurers also require special 'boarding house insurance' where more than four unrelated persons occupy a residence. A fire for example would be most interesting for the owner and 'head tenant/s' on the lease.

Last edited:
I'm not too sure what the right thing to do with the ato was, but I was receiving cash so that took care of that.

The unsigned tenants was always the dodgy part, the property managers knew and the owners just put up with it due to laziness I suppose.

They could have got rid of me and put proper signed tenants in very easily. I always decorated very nicely and kept things looking classy (to get max rent) so they never bothered.

I'm not too sure what the right thing to do with the ato was, but I was receiving cash so that took care of that.

The unsigned tenants was always the dodgy part, the property managers knew and the owners just put up with it due to laziness I suppose.

They could have got rid of me and put proper signed tenants in very easily. I always decorated very nicely and kept things looking classy (to get max rent) so they never bothered.

I suppose if there had been a fire and someone died, this bit would help you at your court case :rolleyes:.

The simple solution to the legalities is just to rent to foreigners who don't understand the tenancy laws and give them an induction cooktop without an oven so they can't start a fire.

I notice in this article that the "LL's" were not owners but tenants that had sublet.

Australia's slum lords
October 22, 2012, 6:18 pm Pippa Gardner Today Tonight

Australia's housing crisis has led to rents being so high that slums are being created, with dozens of people crammed into small units.

Landlords are making a massive profit, but in the process are creating potential death traps.

A flash residential tower in the heart of Sydney's CBD is hiding a dirty secret - inside there is a two bedroom apartments that looks like a slum.

Bunks are crammed into bedrooms, walls have been erected in the lounge to create makeshift rooms, and every inch of the tiny flat has been exploited - and so have the mostly foreign students conned into moving in.
http://au.news.yahoo.com/today-tonight/consumer/article/-/15182181/australia-slum-lords

The simple solution to the legalities is just to rent to foreigners who don't understand the tenancy laws and give them an induction cooktop without an oven so they can't start a fire.

Unless they are lighting joss sticks on the balcony. Isn't that how the Bankstown one started? or maybe it was the air conditioning unit on the balcony.

You took (say) a two BR unit for $600 pw with a limit of two persons on the lease but managed through unapproved sub-letting to earn enough to reduce your outgoings to $60 pw. Or you earned $$ beyond the rent. You don't think the ATO could rule you were involved in the business of running a boarding house yourself? Is your advice that ATO couldn't say, "Where is my share of the profit?"

I am a layman. But a tenant subletting and making a profit beyond what the fair and reasonable break-up of rent for the approved rooms and number of persons is conducting a business. An unapproved and probably illegal business, but ATO still expects to get paid.

It possibly could be deemed a business. But if that happened then you would have the rent you paid to the landlord as a deduction too.

How did you report the income in your tax return?

well, all of the income that I received from my workplace is of course declared successfully, while the income from rent is not that much to be reported since I have to pay the bills myself (under my name).

The test case is easily triggered when an aggrieved sub-tenant or owner rings ATO to complain.

Added
The other issue is that the owner's insurance is likely voided by the number of persons exceeding the number approved on the lease. Many insurers also require special 'boarding house insurance' where more than four unrelated persons occupy a residence. A fire for example would be most interesting for the owner and 'head tenant/s' on the lease.

Well, if you start to declare it to ATO, then they'll get suspicious of what sort of business is that generating the money ?

that is why it would be better off just cash in hand for safety but partially convenient.

You are my worst nightmare.

Short answer is no, for a multitude of reasons.
1. The owner must give you permission to sublet in writing in NSW
2. Whilst the owner can not unreasonably say no, changing the lease from 1 persons residing there to 7 people residing there is enough of a reason to decline in the eyes of the tenancy act.
3. Most buildings in Sydney are also starting to crack down on this type of sub-letting sue to the fire safety risks.

This isn't your flat. How about you go and buy a property and THEN sublet it to 100 people. Then you can do what you want! Within the local council guidelines that is...

well, all of the income that I received from my workplace is of course declared successfully, while the income from rent is not that much to be reported since I have to pay the bills myself (under my name).

If this is making you money, why stop at one unit? In for a penny, in for a pound.

I got a friend he bought a one bedroom apartment in Sydney CBD, he turned it into 6 little rooms.

he never have vacancy.

Cool, that is what I'd like to achieve but obviously people in this forum has enlighten me with the information that this practice is not legal.

But yes, everyone else in the city CBD doing it :) :D

Back