Subdivide or granny flat?

Last year we decided after our NRAS investment had been running for a year we would put a GF on our PPR block. Since then the town planning rules have changed so now we are revisiting that plan.

Our block in Yangebup WA is 980sqm which was previously 200 short of the 1000 needed. Now I understand there is an average block size of 450sqm. Unfortunately the current 4x2 double brick house is almost bang in the middle of the block.

What to do? Demolish house and redevelop whole block, do the granny flat thing (which will have very low impact on amenity due to block configuration) or try to squeeze a separate title on while keeping most of our house and garden?

I just have no idea where to start with working out the best option and would like to look at all options before we commit to the existing GF plan.

GF will likely cost $120 000 all up with rental of around $320 pw. But how on earth to work out the cost/benefit on other options?

Thanks for any ideas you have.
Caz

To be honest neither option immediately jumps out at me as being great. Any reason you want to build the GF on your PPOR?

I think there was a thread earlier outlining a lot of the tax related issues it can cause, let alone the hassle factor of having a tenant in the back yard.

It also seems to be an inefficient use of your subdivisable lot that you may want to develop down the track.

Option 3 - buy/build a GF somewhere else?

Whats the plan in terms of living arrangements? As in, do you plan to stay there if there was a GF there or if 2 houses were built there (ie live in one and rent the other), Or do you see this place becoming an IP in the near future?

Whats value of the property and debt remaining on the property?

Looks like you are in a nice position with an NRAS IP ticking away and a subdividable PPOR.

Would pay to consult a town planner to see whats possible on your block.

The ideal imo would be to retain the existing house and subdivide to add another house to the property.

Last year we decided after our NRAS investment had been running for a year we would put a GF on our PPR block. Since then the town planning rules have changed so now we are revisiting that plan.

Our block in Yangebup WA is 980sqm which was previously 200 short of the 1000 needed. Now I understand there is an average block size of 450sqm. Unfortunately the current 4x2 double brick house is almost bang in the middle of the block.

What to do? Demolish house and redevelop whole block, do the granny flat thing (which will have very low impact on amenity due to block configuration) or try to squeeze a separate title on while keeping most of our house and garden?

I just have no idea where to start with working out the best option and would like to look at all options before we commit to the existing GF plan.

GF will likely cost $120 000 all up with rental of around $320 pw. But how on earth to work out the cost/benefit on other options?

Thanks for any ideas you have.
Caz

Caz,
You need to get a survey done to really determine where your house is, in relation to the block. Whether you subdivide or GF you will need one and it will cost about $1000.
In regards to the subdivision the average of the 2 blocks created needs to be at least 450, so as long as you meet the minimum of 350 you can have 350 + 630 if that helps keep your existing house.

At the end of the day you need to write down all possibilities, the cost of all, the returns for all, the ability to fund (GFs can be tricky to finance if at all) etc

I would look at 5 scenarios
1. keep your house and build GF
2. keep your house and subdivide and sell of block
3. keep your house, subdivide and build on rear block, sell front house, move into rear
4. demolish your house and build 2 new houses and live in one.
5. demolish your house and create 2 blocks which are 490 sqm each which you can build 2 houses on AND 2 granny flats.

I added 4 as some of Yangebup is getting on in years now and it might make more sense to demolish and build.

Thanks for the replies so far!

The configuration of our block means that whatever we do re GF or subdivide will mostly be on one side because it is wider than it is deep and the block is at the top curve of a cul de sac with easy access for its own drive and parking bay.

I think the wedge shape of the block lends itself better to demolish and build two new homes but not sure how to work out the cost benefit of that vs retaining and having one older home (1980's light brick) next to a more modern one.

I'll try and post some pics soon.

Cheers
caz

Looks like you are in a nice position with an NRAS IP ticking away and a subdividable PPOR.

Would pay to consult a town planner to see whats possible on your block.

The ideal imo would be to retain the existing house and subdivide to add another house to the property.

Thanks Colin,

We definitely have more garden than we can handle so this is an option we like. How do we consult a town planner?

Caz

I would agree get a survey to determin if you meet the minimum for he rear block and go from there.

Also do you have or can alter to provide 3.5 metres between house and sidefence for a driveway?

Cheers

We would put the GF where the current sheds are located. I think we could retain privacy and street outlooks for both dwellings. Currently we can park 5 cars off street in the carport and paved area.

To retain house and subdivide we would have to relocate the patio and carport.

land.png

land-sat.png

I see what yoou mean about your house being in the middle.

That is the perfect block for a GF as they both have street frontages.

Down the track your block might move from R20 to R30. That might be the time to demolish the main house, keep the GF and put 2 houses where the main house is.

I see what yoou mean about your house being in the middle.

That is the perfect block for a GF as they both have street frontages.

Down the track your block might move from R20 to R30. That might be the time to demolish the main house, keep the GF and put 2 houses where the main house is.

I like that idea!

Back