Subdividing, Building or sell outright- NE suburbs, South Australia

Experts,

Recently got into the property arena. Found lot of value on the forum. had a query popping up in mind. Thought to ask from wise on the forum.

Situation: Got a sub dividable house in Sep 2014 in one of the NE suburbs of Adelaide ( Modbury). The total cost of house ( including stamp duty and interest paid till date) : about 310 K. Based on location and dimensions I believe it would have been BMV by about 15-20K. Property is about 650 sqm with 22 mtr frontage.

Options: With market in the area upbeat, I am now thinking of extracting the benefit. 3 options:

1. Sell outright ( Not sure of Selling price and hence suggestions needed at end of message)
2. Subdivide in 2 and sell each piece of land at about 200K. ( Subdivision cost: about 40-50K. Profit of about 30-40K)
3. Subdivide build and sell each one at about 370K ( Build cost+sell cost of less than 200 K per dwelling. Profit of about 50-60K)

Suggestions needed:

1. Are the figures somewhat realistic?

2. One of my friend ( not a property expert) values the property at about 350-360K presently based on sales in the area. However RP data etc value it at the price I bought it. Is it worth trying to list the property in market to assess the "actual Value"

3. With efforts vs returns comparison, What's the best deal out of 3 listed options?

Feel free to ask questions if I missed out on anything. Criticism of my understanding is welcome!!!

Im no expert but..... Its quite an open ended question with lots of difficulties that could pop up along the way.

Have you taken into account holding costs while subdividing/ building? If you have never done a subdivision before bank on about around 6 months and building could be another year on top of that depending on builder etc.

It all depends on how the numbers stack up, alot of time a 1 to 2 subdivide and build isnt worth the extra effort, time and hassle over a subdivide and sell for only meager gains. I believe building to sell puts you in a whole different basket come tax time, best to ask an accountant in regards to thise things too

Not a subdivision expert, but my one was 20-25k.

Get a quote from a surveyor to be sure. I used sawley lock in prospect. Tell them i sent you if you want.

They'll advise what water stuff will be needed, what council crap will be payable (some councils have different contributions for different reasons).

Building cost - id probably allow $1500 / sqm to be completely on the safe side. Modbury is reactive / hilly so footings will cost more, decent spec is expected and thats essentially "turn key" (adelaide hasnt learnt that word yet).

Not a subdivision expert, but my one was 20-25k.

Get a quote from a surveyor to be sure. I used sawley lock in prospect. Tell them i sent you if you want.

They'll advise what water stuff will be needed, what council crap will be payable (some councils have different contributions for different reasons).

Building cost - id probably allow $1500 / sqm to be completely on the safe side. Modbury is reactive / hilly so footings will cost more, decent spec is expected and thats essentially "turn key" (adelaide hasnt learnt that word yet).

Have been to the council to understand the costing/process. Have to go through the process but on rough on paper plans are Ok with the council. A question raised with regard to carport entry getting obstructed by a small bush/tree. Surveyor says its easily avoidable.

$1500/sqm build cost for single story?

Yea its on the high side, but watch the footing costs there. Some builders dont do some stuff, such as flooring , landscaping etc that ya do seperately through a but included in my figure.

Mines less than that, prob not the spec you'd want for modbury.

Estimate high, wont be disappointed with end profit then.

Back