Subdividing in Adelaide - community vs torrens title - property value

Hi The7 - the shed I had was a really big one, I would say if council approval was not originally required to put your sheds on then council approval is not required in that instance - (if they are big council approved ones then there goes that theory - I am not known for being particularly lucky lets just say).

How long was your extention do you know? mine is at a guess about 25 - 30 meters I think. Thanks very much for your input, specially seeing as we are in the same council.

Thanks again Ky also for your input. We will all be experts at the end of this I am sure!

Oh and Ky re; the tree - having already had numerous conversations to the planning officer at the council, I'm afraid we have gone too far for the tree to quietly disappear. What is funny is that the first conversation I had about the tree to the guy he was aware of it "from my memory of that tree...." he said.. As I said previously, I am not a lucky person unfortunately!

Oh and Ky re; the tree - having already had numerous conversations to the planning officer at the council, I'm afraid we have gone too far for the tree to quietly disappear. What is funny is that the first conversation I had about the tree to the guy he was aware of it "from my memory of that tree...." he said.. As I said previously, I am not a lucky person unfortunately!

From the memory in SA tree is "significant" if its trunk circumference is 90 cm or more. Multitrunk trees hardly can be of any significance.
Anyway, I doubt Council would care of any tree, they just want their bottom end to be clean. Simple principle - the more parer - the cleaner the object is.

I would talk to three-four arborists and I am sure you will find one in whose eyes significance of the tree will be reversely proportional to the fee you pay. Armed with the independent report approach council.

From the memory in SA tree is "significant" if its trunk circumference is 90 cm or more. Multitrunk trees hardly can be of any significance. 2 meter circumference
Anyway, I doubt Council would care of any tree, they just want their bottom end to be clean. not any of the councils I've heard of dealings with Simple principle - the more parer - the cleaner the object is.

I would talk to three-four arborists and I am sure you will find one in whose eyes significance of the tree will be reversely proportional to the fee you pay. Armed with the independent report approach council. you can do that, but the council still send their own expert around regardless and quite often will disagree with the report you have

Minimum typing

Minimum typing
Yes, I had one that disagreed. After audience with couple of Councillors and a mayor and after investigation by Ombudsman and ICAC they have lost their job. My lawyer also managed to convince them to compensate me for all losses that I suffered as a result of their negligence.
It is extreme and only worth doing if you want further business in the area.

The tree is multi trunk - has about 6 trunks all with circumferences of appx 90cm (if more than 60cm on a multi trunk tree it is considered significant). Without even submitting an application the guy at the council who remembered the tree suggested that I speak to SA Water about alternatives, which I had already done and was told there are no alternatives.

The arborist has said he will suggest removal of the tree but if not possible, directional boring - which of course will cost more money. At least it is an option. Still waiting for the arbor report but will then approach the council with it and the stupid red tape and of course fees. Everything takes so long it is so frustrating...

How long was your extention do you know? mine is at a guess about 25 - 30 meters I think. Thanks very much for your input, specially seeing as we are in the same council.

Sorry, none of the paper work I have at this point states how long it is

Costs vary but for a standard community title subdivision appx $14k and for a standard torrens title subdivision appx $20k (this is through a company that arranges everything for a small fee, great value for money though and I really recommend it at least for the first time you subdivide).
The company I have helping me initially advised all up it should take appx 6 months, and I can see that without all the hurdles we have faced this would have not been a problem.

Maybe the company you are paying to help you should be offering some ideas...

But ultimately, no one is going to be as motivated to find an alternative solution as you. Try Dial Before You Dig to find location of various infrastructure. www.1100.com.au Come up with some alternatives yourself - can you run the pipes via an easement through your existing house yard? Get some more details of what they have in mind, see if you can get someone to meet you onsite to have them step out what they are proposing.

We extended power lines (non-metropolitan) nearly 300m, trees in the way, etc. ETSA quoted 90K for the assets, plus unknown civil costs to underground it most of the way, plus easements as part of that would be on (our) private property - estimated to be at least 30K. After debating with the guy on the phone, I got him to come out and have another look. In the mean time armed myself with all the technical specifications for power line construction, boned up on the Native Vegetation Act, and had a number of arguments lined up...

When he came out, I got him to point out what they had in mind, then I said: "Any reason you can't keep it above ground, and put poles there, there, there, there and there?" (Five poles).

He thought about it for five seconds and said "Yeah, we can do that". Once I had him thinking along the right lines, he actually managed to remove the need for one pole by streching the spans out a bit. Net result? 75K total for the mains power extension rather than 120+.

Also spent about 45K extending water mains (in two tranches). Cost about $165 per metre (greenfields area, would be more if having to reinstate roadways, etc). Don't know exactly how much legwork they actually do for the quote, but the guy only came out with metre wheel and theodolyte in hand AFTER we had paid up. They ended up having to run it on the other side of the road to avoid some trees - guy doing the measuring/planning said they'd wear that...

I wouldn't be surprised if the initial quote was done based on mapwork rather than eyeballed...

Sysider, I've done both community titles & torrens title, not 'a lot' though.
Re community title, the owner who subdivides has to set up the 'body corp' & fees are decided on the % of land value. So that's what SA Water & etc use to determine the charges such as land tax, ESL & water/sewerage.

There's generally no other fees, unlike strata titles of the past. What the owners should do is to put a small amount of money aside to maintain common areas like driveways etc.

I paid my conveyancer to draw up the bye laws of the community titles & they're there for anyone to read but no one bothers. My houses are 2 years old now & so far, no problems, touch wood.

There're problems eg pavers shifted but because I live on site, I just got some gravel/mortar & solved the problem.

The other owner [in Perth] is good. I've suggested to the manager who happens to be my agent as well that we put aside a small amount eg $5 per month & she was agreeable. But we haven't done it yet as the problem arises who holds the money?

KY

Hi kum yin lau

Would the lawyer of the original owner who subdivided the land know the % of land value for each block? Just trying to figure out a faster way to get info than ringing the council or the land titles department.

Turns out we need to replace two meters of common sewage pipe which is a joint liability. Sorting out the payment is complicated. I will be paying the whole amount first and later split the bill with the other owner (plumber needs one single payment), but the invoice needs to have both owner's name on it so we can claim our own portion of the cost, but the plumber won't add the second name without express consent from the other owner. I'm not even sure how to get the plumber to state the % cost for each owner on the invoice if it's not 50/50 (my land is a lot smaller). I'm going to ring my accountant tmr to see if he's got any better idea. In the meantime, my tenant is waiting anxiously for the plumbing problem to be fixed. Very frustrating indeed. Worst of all, all the common pipes are old and god knows what's going to happen to them in the long run.

Looks like Lee isn't the only person with a bit of bad luck here.

Back