Subdiving a duplex - currently on one title

Was wondering if anyone had any knowledge in this area ?

I am looking at buying a duplex property that the builder is building on one title.

I would then like to sell one and keep the other to rent out.

Does any know how easy (or otherwise) it would be to put them on to separate titles ?

Also would it have to be strata titles or could they be non strata ?

Is this the sort of thing that differs between councils.

Was wondering if anyone had any knowledge in this area ?

I am looking at buying a duplex property that the builder is building on one title.

I would then like to sell one and keep the other to rent out.

Does any know how easy (or otherwise) it would be to put them on to separate titles ?

Also would it have to be strata titles or could they be non strata ?

Is this the sort of thing that differs between councils.
You firstly need to contact a townplanner at the local Council to enquire what the minimum requirements for duplex subdivision are. You may find that it is permissible to build 2 houses on the lot, but not permissible to subdivide them.

Each Council is different. Where I live I can build 2 on 1 title, but not subdivide, which is why I take my development to other areas that do permit subdivision.

When calling the Council, ask to speak to the townplanner on duty. Also ask what the relevant subdivision code is and download it off their website and have a good read so you know where you stand. I never trust anyone and always ensure I double check the information given to me in this way.

Hi Katz

Approach the council for the area were you intend to purchase and find out the requirements for subdivision/strata title.

Providing the Duplex has been built to meet those requirement it should be a walk in the pack.

Good luck
Gerd

I recently strata titled a block of 3 units in QLD, all I did was contact a surveyor who organised everything including dealing with council, total cost for council fees,legals, and installation of water meters was just under $7000.00 property was then revalued by bank at $125,000 more than as on a single title. The valuation came in less than what I expected and what agents had been quoting me but nevertheless not a bad exercise.

Back