Subdivision brisbane

We are looking at buying a property in Brisbanes Northside that has been listed as 809sqm 2 lots, we would like to sell one of the blocks and keep one to build on, the block currently has a post war house on stumps.

We would like some information on expected costs that could be associated with doing this, such as town planning, drainage, electricity, council fees, surveying, etc etc.

If any one has experience i would appreciate the feeback...

firstly, be certain it can be sub divided. Council changed the regs on many splitters last year.

make sure it isn't a widow block as that'll cost you more.

So if its on two lots it doesn't mean its automatically able to be split??
Ask for a copy of the title and have a look yourself,some not all already have 2 street numbers on the title,also it quite simple ring up the local town planner and ask the question,after all they are public servants
no matter how high they think their ego is, but you will be looking at roughly 40k plus to split a block in inner brisbane
..willair..imho..

yes it can be different - 2 lots can be merged onto 1 title and then split again, or they can be merged fully so need to be subdivided again - check with council and titles office what they see on their system.

whats a widow block

A widow block is one which has been subdivided such that one of the blocks does not have street access. An example: think of a rectangular block which has been divided diagonally - the one with the 'point' at the street end does not have access to the street.

Cheers
LynnH

thats funny. why would someone in there right mind make or approve a block with no access to it. how can that even be possible. is there any purpose for such blocks

CashflowPlus

I'm searching waaaay back in my memory here ....... but apparently this was a reasonably common practice before and during WW1 (I think) and was done by soldiers before they went away to war in order to prevent their wives selling the house while they were away.

I understand that this practice ceased many years ago, but some blocks in older areas may still be affected.

If anyone else can add any extra info here, I'm 'all ears' - I was very curious when I first heard about this practice.

Cheers
LynnH

Has anyone had experience in subdividing a block and building two new modern homes in brisbane inner city, i.e pitfalls, profit margin and or successes i would be interested in hearing some different feedback...

Hi if it is 2 lots on 1 title you will only have to fill in a form at natural resources and pay a couple of hundred bucks. also there will be no contributions as the lot already exits and the council doesn't really count it as a split

if you have to creat a new lot then you will be up for tens of thousands in council contributions for water, sewrage and infrastructure etc etc etc.

it depends a lot whether you are in demoliton control area, what block layout is like, what sort of prices demographic area etc etc as to what sort of thing will be most profitable

as a rule the cost difference to build 5 beds instead of 3 is a lot less than the difference in the sale price

doing a double storey suspended timber floor on both stories is cheaper and gets a hgiher sale price than double storey slab on ground

If you can get 3 storeys through you will get a much greater return than the extra cost

but it might be the most profitable to buidl 2 little brick dogboxes depends v much on the location

thanks, the block is a 32perch 800ssqm 20x 40m. does natural resources have all the info on plumbing and electricity or is council the best option......

those fees are only contributions for future infrastructure. nothing to do with your block really and again only if you have to split one lot into two

have a look at www.pdonline.brisbane.qld.gov.au and do a search on the zoning and restrictions on your property you can then look at the relevant plan for your block

Have come across a decent property around 15min out of Bris CBD.
Town planners have supplied drawings for this house to be subdivided
(Keeping existing house at rear as a battalax)

What are rough costs for this to be subdivided?
Keen on starting a small development but still very green on it all

Other option would be to subdivide and build

Thanks

Have come across a decent property around 15min out of Bris CBD.
Town planners have supplied drawings for this house to be subdivided
(Keeping existing house at rear as a battalax)

What are rough costs for this to be subdivided?
Keen on starting a small development but still very green on it all

Other option would be to subdivide and build

Thanks

$50k -$70k is pretty average.

Back