subdivision costs-south/east suburbs melbourne

Hi there,
Looking at the option of a buy-reno front house - subdivide back and sell both off. At this stage, not looking at building at the back, just ofloading the land. And hopefully make my money along the way!!! :)
I am looking at suburbs in the south east of melb, such as noble park, dandenong, hallam.
Does anybody know what the costs for simple subdivision of turning 1 into 2 would be? or specifically where i could find out? One agent said about $10k but that doesnt sound right. Any advise would be greatly apprecited. Trying to get costings as part of my due diligance.
Thanks in advance

I am actually going through this at the moment myself but have not yet subdivided so am unable to give you a definitive cost.
What I can say however is cost to date which is around 7k. This has included cost of draftsmen, site context plan, engineering, soil test, council fees and s few other costs I cannot think of. This however has got me to the point of DA approval.

Now things like engineering I am not sure you would require if just selling the land?? Also I am not really sure how one would go about getting a subdivision without plans to build? I know my subdivision will be approved based solely on the fact when I got DA approval it would have been implied the land would be subdivided.
But if you attempted to go the other way and subdivided then I am not sure this is even possible?? I mean what happens if it were possible, you split the land and then someone buys it and tries to build only for 20 objections and its rejected. What then? You have a title for a piece of useless land.

There are other costs to subdivide such as connection of utilities but if you are just selling the land then I do not believe you have to pay these costs? You will need the utilities council to approve it and also council the storm water but from my understanding that is enough. It would then be the obligation of the builder to connect the storm water, dig the pit.etc.

I am a novice though so one of the pros on here will give you a more accurate answer.

I am actually going through this at the moment myself but have not yet subdivided so am unable to give you a definitive cost.
What I can say however is cost to date which is around 7k. This has included cost of draftsmen, site context plan, engineering, soil test, council fees and s few other costs I cannot think of. This however has got me to the point of DA approval.

Now things like engineering I am not sure you would require if just selling the land?? Also I am not really sure how one would go about getting a subdivision without plans to build? I know my subdivision will be approved based solely on the fact when I got DA approval it would have been implied the land would be subdivided.
But if you attempted to go the other way and subdivided then I am not sure this is even possible?? I mean what happens if it were possible, you split the land and then someone buys it and tries to build only for 20 objections and its rejected. What then? You have a title for a piece of useless land.

There are other costs to subdivide such as connection of utilities but if you are just selling the land then I do not believe you have to pay these costs? You will need the utilities council to approve it and also council the storm water but from my understanding that is enough. It would then be the obligation of the builder to connect the storm water, dig the pit.etc.

I am a novice though so one of the pros on here will give you a more accurate answer.

Hi Albanga

How is the subdivision going? Do you have a list of actual costs?

Roy

You can sub-divide and sell it but you'll have to enter in to a Section 173 Agreement which basically says the purchaser of the land cannot build anything else on it except what has been approved by Council. Also in order to get the Section 173 Agreement you'll need to connect all utilities etc so your costs will definately be more than $10k, probably double at the minimum.

Back