Subdivision in City of Canning

Hi All,

We've recently aquired a property in Wilson, with a view to developing in the next 2-3 years.

The property is 15.59m wide and 983sqm, zoned R30 (technically triplex site)

Just wondering if anyone has had experience doing developments in the area? Are City of Canning difficult to deal with?

I'm aware of a rule that they have whereby triplex developments are only permitted if the frontage is over 30m. Prior to purchase, we confirmed (via email) with the WAPC that they'ed override that ruling. Do you think this affords me any protection?

Any insights miuch appreciated.

Thanks

Tim

I'm aware of a rule that they have whereby triplex developments are only permitted if the frontage is over 30m. Prior to purchase, we confirmed (via email) with the WAPC that they'ed override that ruling. Do you think this affords me any protection?

If you are doing a freehold (green title) or survey strata subdivision then you need to worry about the WAPC, not the City of Canning. If your subdivision meets WAPC requirements, it should be ok.

If you are doing a strata subdivision then you need to worry about City of Canning.

An email is no form of protection.

where did you get 30m from?

you can only do more than two dwellings if the frontage is greater than 25m - regardless of size/zoning.

corner blocks count as one continuous frontage.

the WAPC have been known to override Canning's TPS within 800m of a train station or 250m of a high freq bus route.

the onus is on YOU to show why they should though - it's not an 'as right' and if you mention 'precedent', be prepared for a slap in the face.

it's your $3500 gamble.

where did you get 30m from?

you can only do more than two dwellings if the frontage is greater than 25m - regardless of size/zoning.

There's a 6 unit development next to me. I spoke to one of the developers and he mentioned 30m.

Is the 25m thing that you're talking about specifically a City of Canning rule? I'm sure not many Nollamara lots are more than 20m... lots of triplex developments there.

Are precedents not useful in adding weight to an argument for the purpose of development?

Anyways, I was really just looking for insights into the level of difficulty I should expect when I get around to developing the block. My dealings with Stirling in a previous project have gone quite smoothly, but there are far more examples of what I wanted to achieve there vs what I envisage for my wilson property.

City of canning are a complete nightmare. calling themselves the City of Service is a joke. i would do complete due diligence before purchasing anythign in that area. not worth the pain.

Back