Subdivision in Parramatta council - doesn't make sense

I'm hoping someone can provide some clarity around this situation.

In 2010, I called up Parramatta council asking to subdivide my property, they told me no this is not possible as the minimum block size needs to be 550sqm.

The alternative is to knockdown and build a duplex which they would then allow to be subdivided.

The other day i stumbled across this:

In reviewing the details, it clearly says minimum lot for subdivision is 550 and 600sqm for dual occupancy.

But there has been a approved DA - "Demolition of outbuildings, retention of the existing dwelling and construction of a two storey dwelling to create a detached dual occupancy development with Torrens title subdivision."

I came across this because the owner was selling the front house on domain and keeping the back house for him/herself.

Attachments

• planning.jpg
    planning.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 380
  • planning2.jpg
    planning2.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 332
Last edited:
What size are the respective blocks?

I've had plenty of subdivisions approved that have been a bit below the minimum lot size. Either through a SEPP 1 Variation to Development Standards if varying an LEP amount or just a well argued position if a DCP control.

3 years is a long time to wait. Has a new LEP or DCP been approved by the Minister of Planning? Check the Parramatta council website.

Sorry Scott, where did you get 3 years from? It took 2 months to approve for the person.

I inquired in 2010, but was told it wasnt possible (also a corner block), so i left it at that and built a granny flat instead.

Corners can usually be subdivided smaller too - by up to 30% depending on the council

Interesting.... will need to call up council to confirm that.

What size are the respective blocks?

I've had plenty of subdivisions approved that have been a bit below the minimum lot size. Either through a SEPP 1 Variation to Development Standards if varying an LEP amount or just a well argued position if a DCP control.

What was the size of the property though?

This block is 697sqm. My block is 650sqm.

Encountered the same problem here.

We have a 1012sqm block in Wentworthville and were told we could only build duplexes.

Can you please send me the address neK so I can look at the details on the DA tracking website.

Nek, I got the 2010 from your initial post. You enquired about subdivision back then and the LEP/DCP have probably been revised since then.

If you have since built a granny flat, you will need to demolish this in order to get an approval for a new dwelling & subdivision.

Back