Subdivision on Odd Shaped Block

Hi All,

Currently doing a feasibility to demolish my existing and build 2x 2-Storey Houses/Town houses.

The Block is 822m2 on the Morley/Dianella Border in Perth. My problem however is the shape of this block. 1 of the houses I will live in the other will be sold or rented.

Looks like I will need a custom design and will have to get quite creative.
I have attached a picture of what I think might work, but would like to get some second opinions and ask if the odd shaped block would reduce value/saleability.

The house is across the road from a large park so backyard space isnt so important.

Forgot to Add width at the front is only 12m.

Cheers

Attachments

• block-dims.jpg
    block-dims.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 407
  • block-dims1.jpg
    block-dims1.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 400
What is the zoning Shane? R25?

The block is a little bit awkward but the upside is that you don't lose much actual land then with the 4m setback you need to have.

With many blocks unless they are completely rectangle you will need a custom design. I would probably make both blocks wedge shaped rather than a rectangle one and a triangle one.

Thanks for the Reply Westminster,

Yeah zoned R25 so i think min block size is 350m2.

I'm currently looking at developers, Any Suggestions?
Or would I save a tonne of cash Managing the Project myself?

Cheers,
Shane.

Thanks for the Reply Westminster,

Yeah zoned R25 so i think min block size is 350m2.

I'm currently looking at developers, Any Suggestions?
Or would I save a tonne of cash Managing the Project myself?

Cheers,
Shane.

Hi Shane,

Minimum block size for R25 is 300m2 and average is 350m2

I'm not too sure what you are asking?

Developers? Do you mean development building companies? Check out Promenade, Amano, VenturaID or you can get a design done and take to a broker like HBA Brokers and they will get building companies to quote on it. They also do inhouse designing as well.

Are you intending to build 2 storey or single? You should be able to fit single storey 4 bed, 2 bathroom with maybe even a theatre on that. It's won't be a huge house - probably around 240sqm which is very decent. Cost wise the whole project would cost around 475-525k plus 10% contingency. For double storey maybe $200k more - generally I find you will get back that $200k but no more, so it's not the best idea to increase the costs, the time and the budget for no gain.

Hi Shane,

Minimum block size for R25 is 300m2 and average is 350m2

I'm not too sure what you are asking?

Developers? Do you mean development building companies? Check out Promenade, Amano, VenturaID or you can get a design done and take to a broker like HBA Brokers and they will get building companies to quote on it. They also do inhouse designing as well.

Are you intending to build 2 storey or single? You should be able to fit single storey 4 bed, 2 bathroom with maybe even a theatre on that. It's won't be a huge house - probably around 240sqm which is very decent. Cost wise the whole project would cost around 475-525k plus 10% contingency. For double storey maybe $200k more - generally I find you will get back that $200k but no more, so it's not the best idea to increase the costs, the time and the budget for no gain.

Is $475-525k for 2 x 4 bedroom houses or just one house?
Why is double story more expensive? (Might sound like a silly question but hey - gotta ask).
Thanks!

Is $475-525k for 2 x 4 bedroom houses or just one house?
Why is double story more expensive? (Might sound like a silly question but hey - gotta ask).
Thanks!

Note these are Perth prices based on double brick construction.

That price would be to build 2 houses.

Double storey is more expensive per sqm here because:
- the need to hire scaffolding to construct, paint , roof etc the upper level
- the concrete slab for the upper floor needs to cure for 6 weeks increasing time
- the weight of the upper storey requires more footings etc on ground which cost

I would only go 2 storeys personally when the density is higher and blocks are too small. On an R25 block there should be enough space for house plus 25-35sqm or more alfresco and garden area

Thanks, Westminster. That makes sense.
Didn't know Perth has double brick construction requirements.

It's a mentality requirement - sigh!!

We are seeing more and more framed construction coming which is very welcome (to me) and much faster construction times. Newer suburbs and inner city are embracing it.

Probably still look to go 2-story as ill be living in 1 for quite some time.

I was really just asking how you would approach this, Could you also clarify wedge shape of the block? something like the attached?

- Land Survey - Determine Shape, Dimensions, Green Title/Survey Strata
- House Design
- Council Application
- Demolish
- Build

Seems pretty simple. Anything I'm missing?

Cheers for you help,
Shane

Attachments

• block-dims111.jpg
    block-dims111.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 197
Probably still look to go 2-story as ill be living in 1 for quite some time.

I was really just asking how you would approach this, Could you also clarify wedge shape of the block? something like the attached?

- Land Survey - Determine Shape, Dimensions, Green Title/Survey Strata
- House Design
- Council Application
- Demolish
- Build

Seems pretty simple. Anything I'm missing?

Cheers for you help,
Shane

Is the Zoning R20/25? or flat R25?

If it is dual coded, you might want to check with Bayswater council or in their TPS to make sure there is no minimum frontage to get the higher R25 density.

Yes first step is to get a survey (Vision surveyors are great)

Then you have got a couple of ways of going about things.

1. Research and pick a builder. Sit down with that builder and they will do the designs and pricing with you. They can then put it through council etc while you orginise finance.

2. Find a draftsman and have them custom design something that best fits this block and your requirements ( Since will be ppor) Apply fro DA through council and then tender plans out to your shortlist of chosen builders with a complete specification sheet and find the best value for money.

It will most likely be survey strata as you will need separate driveways for green title which will be hard with that frontage and city of Bayswater are usually against more that 1 crossover.

Just keep in mind that two storey costs alot more and drags the whole process out. So unless its for the view or to maximise potential and value i would be looking down the single storey route.

hope this helps.

Thanks for your input HD_ACE much appreciated.

Having a look its coded R20/25.

I have had a look at the Bayswater criteria for the R25 Upgrade and it looks like I fit the requirements.

In regards to the single story/double story situation, I myself would like 2 story just for extra living space. But I guess I can have a look what single story builds would be possible once survey is complete.

Thanks again.

Back