Subdivision-Sewage connection

Hi,

I am first time poster, long time reader. Please be gentle with me :D

Currently looking at buying a block to split the back (battleaxe) to build a new house. The land slopes gently to the front road. The front house is connected to the sewage and stormwater infront of the house.

There is storm water running at the very far back of the rear fence and another main sewage is in the neighbouring property probably about 1metre or less from their fence.

I would presume it is more cost effective to connect to the sewage in the neighbouring property than to the front of the road.

Can someone please share their experiences in obtaining permission from their neighbour? Is this a fairly risky development? Rough guidance on cost or any advice?

Thank you for all the replies. Truly appreciate it. :eek:

hmm

Getting an easement from your neighbour may not be the easiest and cost effective route.. depending on your neighbour.. it might be easier to connect to the front and cheaper. Again depending if the neighbour is willing to allow you an easement and at what cost.. I'm sure the more experienced developers here will have more feedback.

Leo

Getting an easement from your neighbour may not be the easiest and cost effective route.. depending on your neighbour.. it might be easier to connect to the front and cheaper. Again depending if the neighbour is willing to allow you an easement and at what cost.. I'm sure the more experienced developers here will have more feedback.

Leo

Thanks Leo for your reply. The easement at the front of the property is under the road from the main house. Will that be cost effective digging through the road?

Thanks Leo for your reply. The easement at the front of the property is under the road from the main house. Will that be cost effective digging through the road?

Just make a simple call to the local council,ask to speak too the plumbing department,if you have a plumbing layout for the property post it that may help for anyone giving a opinion,but start with the local council..

Thanks for the reply,

I have attached a copy of the easement plan. I spoke to council a week ago and he said that I could connect the new rear property to the back easement but after getting an easement plan I realise the sewage is in the neighbouring property.

Attachments

• 20140910_212549.jpg
    20140910_212549.jpg
    488.7 KB · Views: 70
Ok firstly,Have you talked to council in regards to easement being on neighboring property?

Have you had a talk with the neighbor?

Cheers

For cases like this:

The normal situation is that the easement belongs to the Water Authority and the pipe from the sewer to a point inside your property will belongs to the water authority.

As this pipe (outside your boundary) will be within the easement the Water Authority does have the right to construct that pipe.

In practice they may want to tunnel from your side. rather than dig up your neighbours garden.

Back