subdivision

Folks,

Am a newbie to this site and to property development in general.

I am looking to potentially acquire a property in Hornsby (2077). Has about 1000sqm land size with an existing dwelling in the front portion of the property.

What I'd like to do is to subdivide and sell off the back portion. And therefore wish to find out:
- if i can subdivide
- if so, in what shape and size
- how much can I sell it for
- and how much would it cost (for the buyer of the subdivided land) as site costs

Please any pointers on how I can go about doing this?

Thank you and much appreciated.

SM

First step - check your local council's website for their development plan (nice light reading there) and/or ring the local council town planner and ask and/or ask a surveyor that works in your local area.

Hi, its standard practice in NSW to not give zoning info over the phone so make the trip to see the duty planner at Hornsby Council, a by product of this is that you can start building the rapore with the planner you will need later.

building the rapore

... a raport would be much more helpful ... (french origins so silent "t")

first step - talk to council and see what you are allowed to "do" with the block. makes a list of questions so you don't forget to ask something - and if you don't understand what they are telling you, say so and ask for clarity.

the requirements differ from council to council as to minimum blocks sizes, minimum frontages etc etc so advice from another council area is totally irrelevant.

You will need 3mts access past the original house into the backyard. If you havent got this I have seen them crimp 400 by cutting back the eves on the front house and making it empire line.

Thanks all for responding.

Spoke to the council they mentioned two things that would concern my subdivision application:
1- since most of the property is in bush fire prone area, they would have to refer to the Rural Fire Service
2- Some Heritage DCP applies to property. So my sub-div application would have to consider this as well.

Can anyone throw some light on what these mean and the chances to getting the property approved?

Thanks heaps in advance.

SM

Heritage stuff is very tricky. suggest u seek professional advice and it will be property specific. If i were you, I wont base my buying decision based on what someone says on the forum here.

Spoke to the council they mentioned two things that would concern my subdivision application:
1- since most of the property is in bush fire prone area, they would have to refer to the Rural Fire Service
2- Some Heritage DCP applies to property. So my sub-div application would have to consider this as well.

Can anyone throw some light on what these mean and the chances to getting the property approved?

Thanks heaps in advance.

SM

Thanks heaps in advance.

SM

Being in a bush fire prone area you'll need to submit a bush fire management plan. On the RFS website you'll find guidelines for the info that they require. In my limited experience I've found it to be just a formality. If there are other blocks/houses in the area that are similar to what you are wanting to do then you should be ok. Rather than just giving you a straight yes or no they will come back with some guidelines that need to be adhered to.

RC

Back