Subdivisions - Project Management of

W

WebBoard

Dear Forum,

I am trying to find a project management software package that can be used for managing a subdivision project from the very start to project completion. I would prefer not to design one myself using (eg) Microsoft Project, as I am new to this game and probably would not have a full appreciation of some of the problems / issues involved.

Does such a package exist. Any suggestions or feedback would be appreciated.

Regards,

Trader

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Trader

There is one called "Devfeas" which I understand some town planners. surveyors and architects use. Whilst I haven't used it myself I've received a print out from the program a couple of years ago. It was, from memory, not entirely straightforward to decipher but it may have improved since.

On the basis of project planning, I read an interview with a successful sydney developer who, when quizzed on the secret of his success stated his philosophy to be 1/3 land, 1/3 construction costs and 1/3 profit. That had managed to keep him out of trouble for several decades I think.

I think Michael Yardney has said something similar. In fact Michael is probably the person to quiz with your question. Search the posts and you'll find his contact details.

Good luck - fortunes can be made or lost quickly in property development!

N.

Reply: 1.1

Nigel,

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate the info and will check out the software you suggested.

Regards,

Trader

Reply: 1.1.1

Trader
I use Devfeas for my feasibility studies and it is an excellent program for feasibility analyses.
It's written by Mark Andrews a valuer in Adelaide and is worth the $550 or so it costs. When you apply for your loan, the banks are always impressed with theses types of reports and think you're professional if you do a sound feasibility analysis.
There is a more complex feasibility program that we have evaluated by valuers Hills PDA which is in essence a complex Excel spreadsheet, costs 6 times as much and gives the same results. It's used by a lot of the valuers we use.
In either case, the problem is that you have to know what figures to put in to the programs otherwise the assumptions are incorrect and the figures are meaningless.
Both programs are for the initial feasibility analysis and cashflow projections. They do not tell you the steps to take in running the project, which is what I think Trader is asking.
We use Microsoft Project to keep track of complicated projects, it does the job well but is not a user friendly program like other Microsoft programs, and as Trader suggests, you have to program it.
Anyway...we provide pre purchase feasibilities and ongoing project management using these programs and more importantly the knowledge of what figures to put into them, for any potential Melbourne developers.
Michael Yardney
Metropole Properties

Back