Subleasing! Your thoughts?

According to Victorian legislation, a tenant requires permission from the landlord before they can sublet a part of the property. Furthermore, the legislation states that the landlord can not 'unreasonably' withhold there consent.

My case is this. Would it be unreasonable to sublet the living area of my 1 bedroom apartment that I am renting. That is, have someone live on a sofabed in the living room and pay rent for it? What would your response be as a landlord to such a request.

Note:
Sub tenant would provide landlord any required rental history to prove good character.

Cheers,

The legislation is laid out above, which does not prohibit this subject to LL approval.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it were a 2 bedder and one person on the lease it could be unreasonable to withhold consent as the property is designed to cater for several people eg families, couples etc but totally reasonable not to permit sublets in a one bed (vs couple in one bedroom).

The legislation is laid out above, which does not prohibit this subject to LL approval. How can it be irresponsible advice to recommend they ask the LL?

Because as 1 bed apartment is designed for residents to reasonably be expected to sleep in a bedroom (single/couple/possibly inc. newborn), and not have sets of unrelated parties sleeping all over the place.

According to you, instead of a sofa bed in the lounge, perhaps we could also sublet the apartment entry to a guy with a sleeping bag, the kitchen to a chick with a swag and the broom cupboard for a student with a blanket?

It's also unreasonable advice because the opinion of the LL is NOT the only opinion needed, in this case or others.

pinkboy

Because as 1 bed apartment is designed for residents to reasonably be expected to sleep in a bedroom (single/couple/possibly inc. newborn), and not have sets of unrelated parties sleeping all over the place.
How about an 1 bed apartment with study nook (big enough for a single bed)?

According to you, instead of a sofa bed in the lounge, perhaps we could also sublet the apartment entry to a guy with a sleeping bag, the kitchen to a chick with a swag and the broom cupboard for a student with a blanket?

Doesn't sound too bad. I have heard the story in my complex on 1 bed apartment with 9 people renting and bed lining up in living room.

Back