Subletting property - Victoria

I am looking into obtaining a lease on a residential property in Victoria and subletting the rooms on a 'short-term' basis, ie minimum of two weeks.

If I obtain written permission from the owner to sublet, maintain all rental/utility payments, maintain the property, ensure noise is kept to a reasonable level etc. are there any other considerations/insurance I might require to do this?

Worst case scenario, what would happen if there is a fire and an occupant is injured (although I would install smoke alarms and fire extinguishers)?

Summary: 12 month lease on 3 bedroom house, written permission to sublet, 3 tenants occupying the 3 rooms - thanks for your assistance.

Google "boarding house regulations Victoria"

Also has been discussed in the forums here before. Do a google search,
site:somersoft.com "boarding house"

......and welcome to the SS forum.

Google "boarding house regulations Victoria"

Also has been discussed in the forums here before. Do a google search,
site:somersoft.com "boarding house"

......and welcome to the SS forum.

Thanks a lot for the really quick replies and info. From what I gather, a rooming house in Victoria requires a minimum of 4 people and needs to be registered with the council and the building surveyed ($1500 cost).

Anyone have ideas on regulations for a maximum of 3 people? This doesnt classify as a rooming home and more of a residential home sublet to three occupants.

Back