Suburb Stigma

Does anybody think it is possible for a suburb to loose its bad stigma if has one. In melbourne suburbs like Dandenong, Frankston, Footscray, Broadmedows all have a bad stigma attached to them, but is it possible to loose this or will they always have it attached to them.

Are there any suburbs that use to have this stigma but have lost it. I cant think of any in melbourne that use to have a bad name but have lost it. Maybe Fitzroy Brunswick?? years ago. Im not sure?

a bad or undesirable, area in my opinion is due to, drugs,old cars people on unemployment etc, when the value on these propertys goes up and they cant afford it there anymore, then they will move out, look at kingstone and narrabundah in canberra for example.

Does anybody think it is possible for a suburb to loose its bad stigma if has one. In melbourne suburbs like Dandenong, Frankston, Footscray, Broadmedows all have a bad stigma attached to them, but is it possible to loose this or will they always have it attached to them.

Are there any suburbs that use to have this stigma but have lost it. I cant think of any in melbourne that use to have a bad name but have lost it. Maybe Fitzroy Brunswick?? years ago. Im not sure?

Sydney:

Surry Hills - Used to be all slums and abandoned warehouses, but due to its location so close to the city, it got gentrified. Go to the wrong section, and you'll probably still get mugged, but there are some VERY nice apartments there. If you explain you live in Surry Hills, you'd need to quickly correct - "the new part"!

Redfern: Same

By rebranding, Lakemba. Part of Lakemba got renamed "Roselands". Lakemba got a mosque, and immediately house prices dropped in that suburb. They moved the border, and prices recovered in the part that went over to Roselands.

There are a few places in the last 20 years that had similar things happening. The thing is, until you see a commitment (and the dollars!) behind the council initiative, you can't really count on it as a strategy to buy underpriced houses expecting them to recover later

older people i know still talk about subiaco (WA) like it's Queens or Detroit.

big difference between then and now.

stigma is usually attached to a generation.

I think lots of Melbourne has gone this way. Years ago, it was desirable to live in the 'burbs and the inner city was a no-go zone. Now inner city apartments are popular. Same with many of the inner city suburbs - Fitzroy, St Kilda, Kensington.....

The tricky part is to pick the next one to go the same way.....

:)
Lily

Southport on the Gold Coast. In the mid 90s it was very much the low end of town. Lots of investment in development and gentrification have made some parts quite desirable now. It has proximity to water going for it though so was probably always just a matter of time.

Hi Aladdin;

Are you buying an IP or PPOR for you to live in?
If it's an IP, as long as the numbers works in your favour then it does not matter.

For example, I have an IP in Footscray bought it in 2002 for $235K now worth more than $400K, so for an IP, as long as the numbers stack up in your favour then it shouldn't mater.

It even happens more subtely.

My parents live in North Balwyn (Melb). When we moved in (mid 70's), it was a very "old" neighbourhood. Most of the homes built in 1950's, and it seemed as if everyone who lived there, had been there since the 50's. I guess this is where the term North Boring came from;)

Over the past 15 years, the area has transformed remarkably! Younger families, significant upgrades to properties, streetscapes etc. But I will always know it as North Boring, even though any decent home on a large block is $1m+

Aladdin, suburbs definitely have a change in perception as time passes. Often as the land becomes more desirable.

30yrs ago Norwood in SA was considered a 'slum,' now it's a very hip suburb all the young DINK's and execs. want to be in and median price is fast approaching $1M.

I am thinking to live in.

I actually like Footscray for proximity to the city and period houses. Its just the name, and peoples reactions when you say it :). I just wonder how long it takes to loose this or will it always have a bad name with most people.

I can think of Port Melbourne which 15 years ago was a dumping ground for cars and full of shipping docks, now its the place to be seen on sunday morning with your latte and "Age" newspaper.

Also I never rated Blackburn (vic) 10 years ago.....missed that boat too :mad:

Every area I have bought into in Sydney has has stigma.
Erskineville in the early 80s. Dripping with stigma. There was stigma walking around every street - especially after dark. I knew the names of quite a few of the local stigmas.
Annandale in the 80s was a poor man's Balmain. A bit of stigma there at times.
Hurlstone Park didn't really have stigma, but nobody had heard of it.
And now Marrickville. There was alot of stigma when I moved there 6 years ago - especially around the train station after dark. The police came down hard on some gangs and the area is changing as more boring white collar people like me move in.
The key is to find a suburb that has lost its stigma, and go looking in the suburb next door that still has its stigma.
Scott

Confession......

I am thinking to live in.

I actually like Footscray for proximity to the city and period houses. Its just the name, and peoples reactions when you say it :). I just wonder how long it takes to loose this or will it always have a bad name with most people.

I have lived all my life in the eastern suburbs and recently as fate would have it, I started looking at properties in Yarraville (you can add that to another suburb which has transformed amazingly). And then I went looking in Seddon. I was amazed at the opportunities for unrenovated period style homes, that when renovated would look amazing. And of course you get more bag for your buck there. Whilst I had an idea of where Seddon was, geographically speaking, I wasn't sure exactly. When I looked up in the Melways, and saw Footscray just next to Seddon (they both have the same postcode), I freaked (mildly!) :eek:

I would never have associated that part of town with those opportunities and the some potential great homes. Will I ever live there, probably not, but all my pre-conceived ideas about that side of town have been tore down. We all need to be open enough to change our perceptions, when faced with evidence to the contrary.

Don't worry about what people's reactions are about where you choose to live. Choose what works for you.

Port Melb and Richmond are two I hadnt thought of. They are good examples. Yarraville, Seddon and Spotswood are probably good examples too.

Like somebody said it is a generation thing, one generation will always think of a suburb in a particular way and always will, while a different generation will look at it differently.

Suburb Stigma. I’m not sure that it matters much. For example, Broadmeadows and Brighton are at opposite ends of the stigma spectrum but their annualized growth for the last 10 years has been almost identical.

The same could be said for…
Springvale vs. Surry Hills
Dandenong vs. Doncaster
Richmond vs. Rippoonlea
Frankston vs. far Kew

When I lived in Melbourne over 20 years ago suburbs like Jordanville , Ashwood and Chadstone were crappy housing commission areas in the south eastern burbs.

Havent been back for a while , what are they like now ?

When I lived in Melbourne over 20 years ago suburbs like Jordanville , Ashwood and Chadstone were crappy housing commission areas in the south eastern burbs.

Havent been back for a while , what are they like now ?

Here's one of those crappy commission houses in Chaddy... a mere $485k to $525k....

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...t=&header=&cc=&c=95523772&s=vic&tm=1220331038

Jordanville/Ashwood all starting to turn into new units/villas.... quiet and sought after areas.

Cheers,

The Y-man

My parent's friends were less than impressed when my parents bought into run down Canterbury when they were moving into upmarket Croydon.

Our friends were less than impressed when we went over the river and bought in Northcote in the early 90's

Most of the inner suburbs of Melbourne used to be crappy suburbs. Collingwood was once a slum, St Kilda and Elwood were once overrun by hookers (still are actually).

Trends and attitudes change, it just takes time. Being able to spot the change and time it well is what will make you real money.

Back