Successful investors who never bought in Sydney. Are there any?

Hey everyone,
I was wondering if there are any successful investors out there who don't own a single property in Sydney.. I hear a lot of success stories and most of them are because of the boom that's happened in Sydney.. It's a bit hard and intimidating for first time investors in Sydney so to make us feel a little better and maybe more comfortable in investing interstate, I was wondering if there are any investors who have created a large portfolio through buying anywhere in Australia except Sydney...

I can tell you it wasn't much fun holding property in Sydney between 2003-2013. There was some upward movement but it wasn't stellar by any means.

During that time though I saw people do very well out of Brisbane, Melbourne and Perth.

There's plenty of successful investors who don't own anything in Sydney. There's plenty of unsuccessful investors that do have Sydney properties as well. You can't draw any conclusions from this.

Look up Dazz!

He's not around anymore, and in the later stages bought something in the CBD, but other than that most of his stuff was in WA. He's an extremely successful investor!

Of course, there are plenty of others as well, but he's the first one that came to mind.

The relative difference has remained somewhat the same right? (e.g. Brisbane is generally 75% of Sydney prices if you align their cycles)

So unless this ratio changes significantly then you could safely assume you're no better or worse off by targeting areas that you know well, even if they are outside Sydney.

The relative difference has remained somewhat the same right? (e.g. Brisbane is generally 75% of Sydney prices if you align their cycles)

So unless this ratio changes significantly then you could safely assume you're no better or worse off by targeting areas that you know well, even if they are outside Sydney.

I would say if you took out brisbanes entry level properties - under 450k

Then a like for like property would not even be 50% of the Sydney equivalent

Brisbanes median is skewed upwards because it doesn't include a lot of lower priced regions because they are in different councils

Hey everyone,
I was wondering if there are any successful investors out there who don't own a single property in Sydney.. I hear a lot of success stories and most of them are because of the boom that's happened in Sydney.. It's a bit hard and intimidating for first time investors in Sydney so to make us feel a little better and maybe more comfortable in investing interstate, I was wondering if there are any investors who have created a large portfolio through buying anywhere in Australia except Sydney...

The whole country boomed in the last 30 years
You could have bought properties anywhere and cleaned up

There's people that even made millions out of places like port hedland
So about as opposite to Sydney as you cAn get

Before the internet many people bought around the corner, in the next street or suburb, where ever that was. About 17 million people live somewhere other than SYD.

If ej89 was ej80, this thread would be 'successful investors who never bought in Perth. Are there any?' Or a few years ago 'successful investors who bought in Sydney. Are there any?'

Stick around, ej. Lots to experience.

Look up Dazz!

He's not around anymore, and in the later stages bought something in the CBD, but other than that most of his stuff was in WA. He's an extremely successful investor!

Of course, there are plenty of others as well, but he's the first one that came to mind.

Where is Dazz?
miss reading his hilarious posts

haha yeah I only ask because I find the Sydney market intimidating but I can't see it slowing down anytime soon so looking to just jump on board (in the right areas) and hold on before I put money in Brisbane..or do both if I could..

I guess property success is measured on financial freedom to me and how close you are to it.

It's just encouraging to see some people missed this Sydney boom and are still successful because of investments elsewhere..I see a lot of potential in Brisbane with their prices but I look at those prices in comparison to Sydney which is a lot pricier which is due to the obvious factors of jobs, consumer confidence and supply and demand

I see a lot of potential in Brisbane with their prices but I look at those prices in comparison to Sydney which is a lot pricier which is due to the obvious factors of jobs, consumer confidence and supply and demand

The job / economic situation in QLD isn't *that* much worse than Sydney. It's not like one is in an economic boom and the other is in recession.

If Sydney's economy is a 7, Brisbane is a 6, so to speak. People are making it out to be like a 4 and it's not.

The price disparity you see, well I'd say it's more attributable to Brisbane's position in the current cycle than the job situation.

The job / economic situation in QLD isn't *that* much worse than Sydney. It's not like one is in an economic boom and the other is in recession.

If Sydney's economy is a 7, Brisbane is a 6, so to speak. People are making it out to be like a 4 and it's not.

The price disparity you see, well I'd say it's more attributable to Brisbane's position in the current cycle than the job situation.

In recent "state of the states", the qld economy ranked 5th behind NSW, NT, WA and VIC.

They rank 7th in unemployment levels and 6th in population growth so nbt good signs, but I guess in saying that QLD doesn't represent Brisbane.. Would love to find this report for cities specifially..

It's not in a recession but it will pick up, especially if our dollar drops and tourism picks up..A decade ago the three big cities were Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane.. I think Brisbane has lost it's spot to Perth unfortunately..

This is the report if anyone is wondering what I'm talking about.

https://www.commsec.com.au/stateofstates

Back