SUD on LMR unusually shaped 800m2 block in Brisbane Suburb

Looking at doing an SUD on 800m2 (on 2 lots - separate titles) - LMR zoning (50% GFA) - 25 metre frontage (across both lots - 12.5m each) - with an existing old house well loacted to the front and side of one of the lots.

I can either do a subdivision of the lots into 2 titles and reno/or remove the house and build 1 house or 2 houses.

However - my calculations point towards an "SUD" of the 1 title being more profitable than a subdivision.

2 QUESTIONS FOR ANYONE FAMILIAR WITH SUD DEVELOPMENTS IN BRISBANE:

1): Given that the frontage of the block is 25 metres wide and 33 metres deep - rather than your standard LMR sized block with 17m frontage - is this going to have an impact on the number of houses/townhouses able to be built ? (If it were 800m2 with a normal 17m frontage with small house at front/side - you would be able to place 3 townhouses at the rear of the house). Given the width of this frontage - I'd like to build one at the front next to existing house and 2 at the rear with common driveway down the middle.

2): The existing house though in a great position on block - is in terrible condition and potentially unlivable and not able to be saved with a reno.
Given that the council originally conceptualized the "SUD" code to allow existing historical houses to remain without demolition while still allowing new development on same block - would they still allow me to do an "SUD" if i demolished and removed the existing house (post war/no demo zoning) and replaced with a removable house in better condition or built a new house - then did the new developments next to and behind this house ?

Or - removed the house and just replaced with 4 new houses/townhouses (narrow ones to fit 2 on the front and 2 at rear with driveway down the middle) ?

I know this is a little tricky, however for someone in the know and with specific experience in SUD's - perhaps its a simple answer/solution.

Obviously I'll engage a planning consultant to work on the DA, however - I hope to get a good idea of what I can do and potential profitability before engaging a planner and designer to really get into the nitty gritty

Hope someone may be able to assist.

Cheers,

David.

Single unit dwellings

Hi mate,
Your property definitely has potential.
Keep in mind that how many units you can fit on a block of land depends on a number of factors including:
• Zoning;
• Constraints,
• Location of the property,
• Size of the property,
• Local Area Plans
The frontage of the property should have no impact on how many townhouses you can fit on. It all depends on the allowable gross floor area. From memory the GFA (gross floor area) is 50% of site cover in LMR, if you are in vicinity of a major road, railway station or Busway, then GFA can increase to 60%.
“0.6 times the site area where the site has frontage to a road with a reserve width of 15.5m or more, and:
- any part of the site is within 200m radius of any pedestrian entry to a railway or busway station, or
- any part of the site fronts an arterial route, or
- no part of the site is next to a house (where no approval for a multi–unit or single unit dwelling exists)” extract from Brisbane City Plan 200.

Your development will need to comply with setback requirements, eg 6m rear setback, 6m frontage setback. If you are keeping the existing house then keep in mind that the GFA calculation includes the existing house.
Your building height is maximum of 8.5m, however you could go to 9.5 “if 9.5m above ground level to the underside of eaves and 3 storeys where the site has frontage to a road with a reserve width of 15.5m or more, and any part of the site:
- is within 200m radius of any pedestrian entry to a railway or busway station, or
- fronts an arterial route, or
- containing a building over 8.5m above ground level or over two storeys is more than 10m from any lot containing a house (where no approval for a multi–unit or single unit dwelling exists)” Brisbane City Plan.

Have a chat with an architect or a town planner, they will give you a better understanding of what you can do with you site. A good one that I know of is ccs surveys.

Hope it helps

Last edited by a moderator:
Back