Suggestion for forum

Hi all,

I'm not sure who would be the best to organise this to happen nut I thought I would post the suggestion to see what others think...

It would be very useful if each person could have their own personal folder for keeping posts they are interested in... i.e simple drag the post of interest into you personal folder (this would create a link to the original post so we don't need to store multiple copies of the post)

what are other peoples thoughts ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Unfortunately, since this forum is shrink-wrapped software hosted by a third-party service provider I think it is pretty much what-you-see-is-what-you-get.

Ian Somers will have more knowledge on what you can and can't do, but from my brief run through the user manual for the WebBoard software, I can see no support for the concept of a "folder".

However, an alternative solution would be to keep your own list of bookmarks in your web browser.

Here's a suggestion on how you could do it assuming you are using Internet Explorer 5.0 or higher...

1. Create a folder for your forum bookmarks by going to: "Favourites" -> "Organise Favourites" -> click on "Create Folder" -> enter a folder name like "Somersoft Forum" -> click on "Close"

2. To bookmark your favourite thread: right-mouse click on the first message in the thread and select "Add to favourites...". The name for the bookmark should be automatically set to the original subject of the thread - or you can change it if you want.

Next, click on the "Create in >>" button to drop down the list of folders you have available and select "Somersoft Forum" (or whatever you selected for your folder name). Then click on "OK"

3. To view the bookmarked entry, simply select the favourite from the folder in your favourites menu.

If you don't see the entire thread, click on the "Entire Topic" link at the top of the page.

Also remember that if you open a bookmarked page while reading the forum, you will be taken away from the forum window to your bookmarked message, so you might want to either finish your forum browsing first, or just open a new browser window by starting up a new browser window before you select the bookmark.

sim.gif

Last edited:
Reply: 2

Hi Jay,

You can have your forum messages emailed to you at home. You can then file those you want to keep into your Sommer folder and delete those you don't want.

This is what I do.

Regards
yuchun
~ The secret to success is to start from scratch and keep on scratching. ~

Last edited by a moderator:
Back